A dumb playbook and smart BB phone...but together they rock

I thought this experience of mine can serve as an encouragement and a reminder of the good, bad and the ugly for the RIM products owners and designers...

So, I am in the hospital this morning attending an unpleasant family business, our mom. She finally is feeling better and I decided to send a video clip of her saying hi to my sister. So, I enthusiastically grabbed my PB and recorded a 30 second clip, opened the PB's native email client and fired off the video clip as an attachment happily anticipating the joy on my sister's face...Seconds later to my great annoyance I learned that a 30 seconds clip was almost 50 MB - too large for the stupid email client. I learned 2 more negative things about my PB - no image/video reduction settings (unlike any smart phone) and no ability to edit it whatsoever.

Thank God I had my ancient (no data plan) 8900 around. The long story short, I had mom recorded on the 8900 video and thanks to the bridge (and the Files and Folders app, but not the native file manager), I had it transferred to the PB and mailed to my sister.

The morale of the happy ending is that together the BB and PB are brilliant and that without the Smart BB, the tablet is still a juvenile:-).
    06-12-12 08:44 AM
    It would be nice to have a low quality setting sometimes.
    If you go down to 480p the files are around 10mb.

I have been using drop box for sharing videos recently. That way I take take higher quality video and the recipients have more options for downloading a large file.
    06-12-12 09:06 AM
    A dumb playbook and smart BB phone...but together they rock

I thought this experience of mine can serve as an encouragement and a reminder of the good, bad and the ugly for the RIM products owners and designers...

So, I am in the hospital this morning attending an unpleasant family business, our mom. She finally is feeling better and I decided to send a video clip of her saying hi to my sister. So, I enthusiastically grabbed my PB and recorded a 30 second clip, opened the PB's native email client and fired off the video clip as an attachment happily anticipating the joy on my sister's face...Seconds later to my great annoyance I learned that a 30 seconds clip was almost 50 MB - too large for the stupid email client. I learned 2 more negative things about my PB - no image/video reduction settings (unlike any smart phone) and no ability to edit it whatsoever.

Thank God I had my ancient (no data plan) 8900 around. The long story short, I had mom recorded on the 8900 video and thanks to the bridge (and the Files and Folders app, but not the native file manager), I had it transferred to the PB and mailed to my sister.

The morale of the happy ending is that together the BB and PB are brilliant and that without the Smart BB, the tablet is still a juvenile:-).
    I'm not sure if you realize this but if you go into the video recorder and swipe down the top menu, you can pick what resolution (480p, 720p, or 1080p) you want to record in. I'll expect you to leave a full apology to the PlayBook after figuring this out.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    06-12-12 09:27 AM
    It would be nice to have a low quality setting sometimes.
    If you go down to 480p the files are around 10mb.

I have been using drop box for sharing videos recently. That way I take take higher quality video and the recipients have more options for downloading a large file.
    Swipe down the top menu in the video recorder and pick what resolution (480p, 720p, or 1080p) you want to record in.
    06-12-12 09:28 AM
    Swipe down the top menu in the video recorder and pick what resolution (480p, 720p, or 1080p) you want to record in.
    I'm aware and I assumed the OP was too. It was referring to something like mms mode on the phones. Sometimes I just want a quick low quality video for a text.
    06-12-12 09:37 AM
    I'm aware and I assumed the OP was too. It was referring to something like mms mode on the phones. Sometimes I just want a quick low quality video for a text.
    I apologize for the confusion. I guess I misread both of the comments as I was under the impression that both of you were looking for something smaller (not realizing you already knew about the 480P setting). I hear what you are saying I guess I don't know how great an MMS mode (176x144) would be on the PlayBook.
    06-12-12 10:35 AM
    Better yet, have Sis get out her PlayBook and VidChat in realtime. What, Sis doesn't have a PB? For shame. My local hospitals all have public WiFi in case you are about to comment on that.

Lacking realtime chat, I agree with Dropbox. Post it in the Public folder, grab the share URL it creates, send that URL and you are good to go.
    06-12-12 10:46 AM
    Ok, I don't get it... who is dumb?
    06-12-12 12:36 PM
    I always set it to 480p when messaging. have you ever loaded up a 1080p video to Facebook or YouTube? Huge files! A couple minutes of 1080p can get you close to a gig.
    06-12-12 05:46 PM
    You could always upload the video to a cloud service and then email her a link to it
    06-12-12 07:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD