Hello, I am a proud owner of Torch 9800 and PlayBook. I had Torch 9800 since August 2010 and Playbook since November 2011. My first BB love started in 2000 and I have been upgrading my phone to newer BB ever since. I look forward to upgrade my BB to BB10!

After all the free download of the Sherlock Holmes hype, I was excited about it and I went to get my free download on my Playbook. I waited about 2 hours for it to download. I played the video and realized that there is no button for closed caption (CC). I searched around trying to find the setting for the video player but to no success. I was disappointed that I could not watch the video on my HDTV without CC. Nope, the CC on my TV still won't show up if I turn on the CC via my TV. I have to admit that I was surprised to find it not available.

I am really thankful that CB bloggers use youtube because they have CC button which I can still keep up with what's going with RIM and BB - I enjoy coming to CB to find information. I apologize in advance if this thread has been already posted and my questions below have already been answered.

Is there any way for me to turn on the CC on Playbook video player?

Do you know if RIM rep will read this have the CC button made available for PlayBook users? I would like to watch the Sherlock Holmes movie like now

Will the CC button be available in BB10 for Playbook?
    09-27-12 01:37 AM
    I didn't go indepth, but surprisingly there seems to be no option for subtitles or closed captioning. I looked at Roxio Now site and didn't see it on the help section, nor was there anything in the rather sparse app settings.

I would probably try to contact Roxio Customer Support and tell them. They really should have that option. On the right hand side shows the phone number and an option to online chat with support.
    im3arl likes this.
    09-27-12 02:10 AM
    I would probably try to contact Roxio Customer Support and tell them. They really should have that option. On the right hand side shows the phone number and an option to online chat with support.
    Thanks for the suggestion - I emailed them. I hope to hear from them soon and I will share here what they said. Also, I posted a similar post at BB.com community support forum.
    Last edited by im3arl; 09-27-12 at 04:00 AM.
    09-27-12 02:39 AM
    While this won't help for this version of Sherlock or the Movie Store, there is an app, MovieSRTPlayer, that can show subtitles if you acquire the MovieX.SRT files that match your movie.
    09-27-12 09:17 AM
    While this won't help for this version of Sherlock or the Movie Store, there is an app, MovieSRTPlayer, that can show subtitles if you acquire the MovieX.SRT files that match your movie.
    You are right - this won't help for this version of Sherlock or the Movie Store. RIM is struggling in US market. There are approximately 1 million deaf and hard of hearing in US who use closed caption. RIM will be doing a better job of reaching out if they make the "cc button" available on their video player. I do not want to see what happened with Netflix to happen to RIM - http://m.techcrunch.com/2012/03/01/netflix-gets-serious-about-closed-captioning/

This is like a big red flag that RIM should watch out...
    Last edited by im3arl; 10-01-12 at 04:12 AM.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-01-12 03:49 AM
    They never replied to my post about having cc button on my playbook video. It's been a month now. It is probably not important to those people who can hear. But wow, I want to be able to enjoy the video like any blackberry users.

Anyone got any suggestion on how I get their attention on this cc issue?
    10-25-12 02:13 AM
    RIM has shown that customers with disabilities aren't a priority.
    Did you read the article about the 10 items we will lose with BB10? Most of these items are what make RIM devices easier to use for people with low vision.
    Close your eyes and try to find a button on a flat screen.
    10-25-12 04:34 AM
    Did you read the article about the 10 items we will lose with BB10? Most of these items are what make RIM devices easier to use for people with low vision.
    Close your eyes and try to find a button on a flat screen.
    Yes, I read the article. But I'm curious as why you made the statement that RIM has shown that customers with disabilities aren't a priority, where did you get that information?

Maybe, I should be abit clearer on what I am asking -- I'm not talking about the external buttons. I'm talking about the button that is already integrated on the video player similar to youtube, netflix and other video providers.
    10-26-12 05:09 AM
    NOT TRUE!!

The statement you made above bothered me. I asked the representative if it is true... She answered my questions. I forwarded the transcript to myself and took snapshot of it to share with everyone here. I have to admit that I am somewhat satisfied knowing that RIM is doing its best and I was being heard.

Dude, where is the closed caption button on PlayBook video player?-image0.jpg
    10-27-12 07:01 AM
    I hope they do add subtitles. I use them and I am neither deaf nor hard of hearing, but subtitles are great when you are in a noisy area without headphones and sometimes I like to read the subtitles so I don't miss any of the dialogue.
    im3arl likes this.
    10-27-12 08:22 AM
    There's an app called SRT Player in App World. Works great, last time I used it was to play subtitles on the film "The brotherhood of war"
    10-27-12 09:03 AM
    Yes, I read the article. But I'm curious as why you made the statement that RIM has shown that customers with disabilities aren't a priority, where did you get that information?
    I am not saying that RIM has made a conscious decision to eliminate customers with disabilities. RIM has shown their lack of support for persons with disabilities by their actions. Obviously any RIM representative is going to deny that and assure you that they are "working on it".
    Their actions with OS 7 and the Playbook show that they are actually going backwards, so far...

I can only comment as a person with low vision (the latest politically correct term for someone who is legally blind).
    Removing the ability to create themes and removing hardware buttons are two things make a Blackberry BB10 phone less accessible for me.
    The last time RIM supplied a theme for people with low vision was for OS 5. With OS 6 I could at least write my own theme and have supplied it to anyone that wanted it. With OS7 they abandoned the Theme builder after months of promising that they were "working on it".

With the Playbook, the first thing I tried to do was make the font larger for the icons. Not an option.
    Pinch zoom for bridged email and SMS is not possible. It's actually easier for me to read email on my phone with a screen 1/4 the size of the screen on the Playbook.

I do hold out hope for BB10. I like Blackberry devices and don't want to switch to Android.
    The keyboard that I've seen is great (for me).
    I just watched a video where Kevin (Crackberry) shows the Magnify option on a BB10 phone. So far that looks great and may eliminate the need for themes.
    10-27-12 09:43 AM
    Did you ever contact them and share your concerns? I often told myself that it is not healthy to assume.
    11-26-12 12:56 AM
    I'm thrilled to see that there is default CC button on BB10 video player. Look like BlackBerry listened! I hope they will include that on the future Playbook. Thank you BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 09:03 AM
    I'm thrilled to see that there is default CC button on BB10 video player. Look like BlackBerry listened! I hope they will include that on the future Playbook. Thank you BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    Just remember, that IF/WHEN you decide to "upgrade to BB10 OS, that you will some of the Bridge functionalityy, it has been" hobbled" ever since 10 came out...

I have a Torch 9850 and 2 PB's, and I won't give BB/RIM any more cash until that is sorted out. My Torch and PB are perfect as they are, but don't hold your breath for more "development" on the PB platform, it's circling the drain........Don't get me wrong, the PB is a good piece of hardware for when it was released, but it's EOL, and they won't dumnp more money into something thet won't get a return on.........
    Good Luck and welcome to the Forum.

c
    12-18-13 09:32 AM
    Just remember, that IF/WHEN you decide to "upgrade to BB10 OS, that you will some of the Bridge functionalityy, it has been" hobbled" ever since 10 came out...

I have a Torch 9850 and 2 PB's, and I won't give BB/RIM any more cash until that is sorted out. My Torch and PB are perfect as they are, but don't hold your breath for more "development" on the PB platform, it's circling the drain........Don't get me wrong, the PB is a good piece of hardware for when it was released, but it's EOL, and they won't dumnp more money into something thet won't get a return on.........
    Good Luck and welcome to the Forum.

c
    Yes, I feel you. I was not clear in my previous message. I was thrilled to see CC button on my BBZ30.
    12-18-13 12:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD