Can a playbook be used to monitor INCOMING HD video when using a dslr camera - essentially as an external monitor? I have a Canon 7D with hdmi plug. Does the playbook have this function to show live video feed from external source?

Tom
    04-04-13 12:24 PM
    Can a playbook be used to monitor INCOMING HD video when using a dslr camera - essentially as an external monitor? I have a Canon 7D with hdmi plug. Does the playbook have this function to show live video feed from external source?

Tom
    Nope. The PlayBook and the Z10 can't do anything with your Canon. I know because my PlayBook wont do anything with my Canon and I've tried. Would really love to have the functionality as I use it with Android devices and it really comes in handy for a lot of situation.

Thankfully, BlackBerry is laser focused on making BlackBerry 10 the go to mobile computing solution. Unfortunately, they don't understand what people want in mobile computing. Both the Z10 and the PlayBook have a USB OTG port, but no software to allow us to use it. Android has several apps that will allow your phone or tablet to interact with your camera, but they all require USB OTG to work. It is very unlikely that BlackBerry will ever get this functionality. People have been asking for it since before the PlayBook launched. So BlackBerry knows we want it, they just don't or can't give it to us. Might be a security issue, who knows.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-04-13 01:10 PM
    Nope. The PlayBook and the Z10 can't do anything with your Canon. I know because my PlayBook wont do anything with my Canon and I've tried. Would really love to have the functionality as I use it with Android devices and it really comes in handy for a lot of situation.

Thankfully, BlackBerry is laser focused on making BlackBerry 10 the go to mobile computing solution. Unfortunately, they don't understand what people want in mobile computing. Both the Z10 and the PlayBook have a USB OTG port, but no software to allow us to use it. Android has several apps that will allow your phone or tablet to interact with your camera, but they all require USB OTG to work. It is very unlikely that BlackBerry will ever get this functionality. People have been asking for it since before the PlayBook launched. So BlackBerry knows we want it, they just don't or can't give it to us. Might be a security issue, who knows.
    Have heard that the Playbook has USB OTG capabilities and only needs Blackberry to unlock them by providing software. Notice on Google Play store that there are Android apps such as USB Host Diagnostics for checking host capabilities of USB ports. Curiosity question: Have you tried to do this on your Playbook?
    04-04-13 03:27 PM
    Have heard that the Playbook has USB OTG capabilities and only needs Blackberry to unlock them by providing software. Notice on Google Play store that there are Android apps such as USB Host Diagnostics for checking host capabilities of USB ports. Curiosity question: Have you tried to do this on your Playbook?
    The hardware is definitely there. Rooted PlayBooks could use USB host mode. But having the hardware doesn't get us anywhere without BlackBerry letting us use it.
    04-04-13 04:07 PM
    Rooting is just not possible on any PB that has been started once normally. Unless you applied a complex procedure to an entierely new PB straight out of the box, forget it.

OTOH it is said BB10, supposedly available on PBs one day, supports OTG. In such a case, you then could be in a situation to connect a DSLR via USB. Short of dedicated apps (maybe android ports?), you could at least get your pics by setting the DSLR to mimick an USB memory.

But then all of this you can already do by buying an Eye-Fi card and sideloading the android port of the associated app, and without any need to plug. (search "eye-fi" on this forum if interested -cheapest cards will only support .jpg, others extend to .raw etc.)

Honestly, I believe you won't find apps to drive your DSLR remotely. You will be able to download your pics (I do it with an Eye-Fi), but driving the DSLR I fear no.
    Last edited by Herve5; 04-07-13 at 04:39 AM.
    04-05-13 12:27 PM