Almost had a heart attack when it happened. It was in the little cover/case that it comes with and fell flat on it's back on a cement parking lot at Sam's Club. So far I see no issues with it at all but I'm worried. Anyone have experience with this and will it most likely be ok? Or am I in danger of it messing up any time now?
    02-13-12 10:21 PM
    i had heart attack yesterday when pb fell from the bed on the floor.... i am surprised you have no damages. pb is a solid well built device. way better than bb phones. my 9810 has already several marks
    tumblingdice03 likes this.
    02-13-12 10:32 PM
    Next time cushion it with fluffyness
    collapsed likes this.
    02-13-12 10:38 PM
    I've drop mine once outside the house. I have journal case on it. All is OK no scratches. Everything works.
    Willard814 and tumblingdice03 like this.
    02-13-12 10:42 PM
    3 beautiful, luxurious, sexy compound words...otterbox, otterbox otterbox
    02-13-12 10:42 PM
    I have dropped mine so many times now i hate doing it but I have just been clumsy and careless with it. i dropped it outside and the corner got a little mark in it, and have dropped it inside many times on the carpet. Everything seems fine with mine though.

If not it gives me an excuse to get the 64 haha
    02-13-12 10:48 PM
    I was just about to write the same thing when I saw your post.

Otterbox tough. I bought PBs for Christmas and each one also came with an Otterbox for the recipient.

Now I just have to find where they sell the Otterbox Defender for Children. I need 2 of those and quick.
    02-13-12 10:54 PM
    theres a video on youtube of them dropping it from waist height, if it lands on the screen on concrete its toast...maybe ill drop my 16 like shn said and pick up a 64 lol , probably just skip the dropping at pick up the 64 anyway. :P
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-13-12 10:56 PM
    3 ugly, annoying, inconvenient words...bulk, bulk, bulk.
    02-13-12 10:56 PM
    less ugly words than shatter, crunch and scrape
    02-13-12 11:03 PM
    With my luck its gonna happen sooner than later. Ive left $200 sun glasses on the hood of my pickup, forgot a laptop in Alabama, dropped an Android Samsung in a coffee at a Waffle House, left an ipod in a pair of pants that went thru a wash and almost lit a house on fire when left a pot of oil on the stove with the heat on.

I will order an otterbox after reading this thread.
    collapsed, Willard814 and biffb like this.
    02-13-12 11:05 PM
    I dropped mine onto concrete. Lucky I had full body protection and it was in the convertible case....
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-13-12 11:10 PM
    my girl dropped hers yesterday in a hipstreet executive leather portfolio..the corners on the thing seemed to act like lil springs..there are a lot of good, protective cases available, and the otterbox DOES add a fair amount of bulk, but i like being prepared in case a spontaneous curling match breaks out and i'm short a stone...i am in canada after all...it could happen...
    VanCity778 and BlueRocks like this.
    02-13-12 11:15 PM
    With my luck its gonna happen sooner than later. Ive left $200 sun glasses on the hood of my pickup, forgot a laptop in Alabama, dropped an Android Samsung in a coffee at a Waffle House, left an ipod in a pair of pants that went thru a wash and almost lit a house on fire when left a pot of oil on the stove with the heat on.

I will order an otterbox after reading this thread.
    While online, order a fire extinguisher.

I do wonder and asked before, how impact resistant to shock are the various sensors in the pb. Accelerometer, tiltometer, level, gps, compass, or whatever various thingies react to tilt, angle, momemtum......
    Last edited by F2; 02-13-12 at 11:52 PM.
    VanCity778 likes this.
    02-13-12 11:49 PM
    Dropped my playbook once, right after I got it - luckily I was in my room, landed face-up (the lucky playbook lands heads up) and made no discernable marks. Has worked great ever since, I want a nice case for it and would like a matching case for my brand new 9930 (upgraded from the storm 2, like night and day).. Anyways as far as I know otterbox is great protection, anyone recommend anything else? I havent looked to hard but there doesnt seem to be many cases for the playbook, on that note im gonna do some googlin, hope your playbook plays on.
    02-14-12 12:18 AM
    I haven't dropped it yet but I did spill a little bit of coffee on the screen. Stupid me... I grabbed a coffee right over the top of my PB, shoulda been more careful, especially since I seem to never spill coffee except when it's over something electronic. Luckily, it wasn't a lot and didn't get into any parts.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-14-12 12:25 AM
    Can anyone with an otterbox answer?
    Does it have any shock absorption built in? If it's a hard shell plastic case will it do anything other then protect the PB from scars? I have seen plenty of pictures but real world experience would be appreciated.
    02-14-12 12:34 AM
    Oh no, hopefully there arent any scratches! I remember running and dropping my old 8330 on the cement floor. Not fun, but I did have a protector case!

I have the leather case for my playbook though!
    02-14-12 12:37 AM
    I haven't dropped it yet but I did spill a little bit of coffee on the screen. Stupid me... I grabbed a coffee right over the top of my PB, shoulda been more careful, especially since I seem to never spill coffee except when it's over something electronic. Luckily, it wasn't a lot and didn't get into any parts.
    Fortunately I haven't spilled yet but there has been plenty of times when I think I shouldn't be doing this. Like carry coffee and the PB in the same hand. Even using it like a serving tray while opening a door. It's just a matter of time.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-14-12 12:38 AM
    Hope its okay. The hardest thing I dropped my playbook on is my nose, then my bed.
    02-14-12 12:52 AM
    ^ haha same happend to me now several times, sometimes i just want hold it that way.
    in my bed when i lay on my back, you have an idea. then suddenly ohh shiett playbook is,
    is falling down somehow manage to let it fall. then poof it falls just on your face/nose.
    it kinda hurts hahah, imagine how many times it happend with my 9900 lool.
    xKrNMBoYx likes this.
    02-14-12 01:02 AM
    Sounds like I may be ok then. So far so good and there weren't any scratches. It fell pretty much straight down and flat on the back with screen up.
    02-14-12 01:08 AM
    Can't anser to the shock absorption of the otterbox based on experience - fortunately. There is a thin sheet of foam on the inside back of the plastic shell that cushions against the back of the PB. I've seen the kids 'dump' it off the couch onto the laminate floor once for sure - not much, but makes me feel better with the otterbox case.
    As for the bulk - I prefer the feel with the otterbox on - nicer to hold with my big mitts, and cheap 'insurance'.
    Also something just plain 'sexy' with the 9900 and PB sitting together - match made in 'heaven'
    02-14-12 01:18 AM
    i have both my playbaby and 9900 otterarmoured..they look tough together, and my phone takes a beating at work but if a phone could smirk in self satisfaction, mine would be looking rather smug. the pb doesn't really get treated very roughly, but the silicone outer shell certainly feels bombproof, and i love the cover i can snap over the screen when i throw it in my bag. as was mentioned about the bulk, i rather like the substantial feel of it, and the peace of mind i get knowing it's protected in the event of the detonation of a thermonuclear device in close proximity is easily worth the cost
    pcotton likes this.
    02-14-12 01:27 AM
    At DevCon last week one of the RIM guys tossed his running PlayBook across the conference room to demonstrate the PB's build quality. It must have flown about 20-25 feet, 6 feet high, and landed with a bang, flat on its back. No problem whatsoever. It didn't have a case, sleeve or other protection. It's a tough little tab.
    02-14-12 02:47 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD