Just a thought for those of you who use dropbox and are upset there isn't an app (like I was until a few minutes ago):

The PlayBook browser is so good you can use the web version of dropbox to download any files you need, edit them with documents to go if applicable, and re upload them to dropbox with the playbook. Also, since it's through the web-site, you can still access through the bridge if you're away from wifi.

Just a discovery I found today. I had searched before and I didn't find a thread that talked about this exactly so I thought I'd share.

The web version of Evernote works like a champ as well if you use that....FYI.
    yenyob, IIJBII, bigchico68 and 6 others like this.
    04-24-11 05:35 PM
    You know it's funny, I decided to see what dropbox was all about today and was disappointed there was no app. It didn't even click that i could just use the web version. i think I, and many other have become so used to apps, we forget there is probably a more optimized way right on the web. Thanks for the heads up!
    04-24-11 05:47 PM
    You know, I totally didn't even think of this. Ive been waiting for a drop box app and ya forgot the website should work
    04-24-11 06:12 PM
    Glad I could do it! As someone who also has an iPad 2, I'd been conditioned to think I needed an app to do everything. And while some things still work better with apps....the PlayBook can do a lot with the browser and OS.....I just need to re-train the way I think.

Still looking for a much beefier app selection though......can't lie.
    04-24-11 06:14 PM
    Didn't even think of this - thanks
    04-24-11 06:33 PM
    [QUOTE=davidjfoust;6264592The PlayBook browser is so good you can use the web version of dropbox to download any files you need, edit them with documents to go if applicable, and re upload them to dropbox with the playbook.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad PB users are not completely locked out of DB for lack of an app. But you might want to know that accessing DB from the browser and working with it from there is not at all a sign of the PB browser being good. It just means that it doesn't suck. You can do the same thing on the iPad through Safari, not that anyone would want to. Being able to do it on the PB is not a boast, but a work-around.
    04-24-11 06:53 PM
    lol...welcome to the real world all you mobile (app) users...you dont need apps!

this tablet is more a MID ( mobile internet device) then some basic moblle os extension device.

its a clmputer......
    04-24-11 06:57 PM
    Very nice. I will have to start using my dropbox again! Thank you for the info!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-11 06:59 PM
    in a lot of ways it is much safer, at least you have password protection through the website, the app was totally open with no password
    04-24-11 06:59 PM
    Even though we have web access to our files on DropBox, dont forget to visit DB and express your desire to have a native App, the more that ask the sooner it may happen.
    04-24-11 07:08 PM
    i don't understand, there is a dropbox app for playbook in appworld
    04-24-11 07:11 PM
    dyagoubian - i just searched App World from my PlayBook and cant find an app for DropBox and even visited DropBox and they dont have one on their website, so where did you see this?
    04-24-11 07:17 PM
    I think the dropbox app is only for Blackberry smartphones currently and not for the Playbook as of yet
    04-24-11 07:24 PM
    I'm glad PB users are not completely locked out of DB for lack of an app. But you might want to know that accessing DB from the browser and working with it from there is not at all a sign of the PB browser being good. It just means that it doesn't suck. You can do the same thing on the iPad through Safari, not that anyone would want to. Being able to do it on the PB is not a boast, but a work-around.
    I think the nice thing is the ability to DL, edit, and upload again due to the ability to browse the file structure through the OS. It's just an easy to use set up. I should have said that about the OS as well as a good browser.
    04-24-11 08:05 PM
    when i go to dropbox it askes me to download it which doesn't work. what am i missing?
    04-24-11 08:26 PM
    noticed though in app world on playbook there is an app called blue box that states: "bluebox is an application that allows you access your dropbox account in a very simple and intuitive interface from your blackberry playbook tablet"
    04-24-11 08:29 PM
    i personally find the dropbox app for blackberry phones worthless because it doesn't allow you to actually save files to your phone. i use the web interface all the time.
    04-24-11 08:30 PM
    noticed though in app world on playbook there is an app called blue box that states: "bluebox is an application that allows you access your dropbox account in a very simple and intuitive interface from your blackberry playbook tablet"
    Yeah, that app still has a few bugs in it though that make it unusable (for me anyway). It's a good start though.

The thing with dropbox is it's one of the few apps on my must have list. When i want to use dropbox on my portable devices it's normally because i need to quickly glance at or edit a spreadsheet and having something that should be a 2 step process turn into browsing around downloading and uploading is less than ideal.
    04-24-11 10:15 PM
    Dropbox does nto have a client for PB yet, there is an app BlackBerry App World - BlueBox for BlackBerry PlayBook which gives basic access to your dropbox files. Sounds a little early from the reviews but hopefully it will get some time to develop or DB will drop their own native app.

Go here https://www.dropbox.com/votebox/4753...native-version and let them know we want it.
    04-25-11 05:08 AM
    Got to get more votes on votebox for the Dropbox native App request. DB customer service says there is not a plan to develop a Playbook native App, show them there is a user base and vote.
    04-26-11 11:33 PM
    when i go to dropbox it askes me to download it which doesn't work. what am i missing?
    There is no Playbook version, the BB app is for the phones. Since DropBox claims they are not going to develop for the playbook let's hope there will be a BB software emulator that will run our phone based apps on the PB.

An emulator must be close or the CO-CEO's have been lying to us all! 3000 Apps at launch. Well......where you hiding them.
    04-26-11 11:38 PM
    Got to get more votes on votebox for the Dropbox native App request. DB customer service says there is not a plan to develop a Playbook native App, show them there is a user base and vote.
    What an interesting problem you have. This thread started out with a boast about how a native app wasn't even needed because the browser was so good. Now, it has devolved into begging developers to notice you. Which is it? Fo you want to stick with the BS about not needing apps, or do you want to beg for apps and admit that apps are needed? Either way, it is an unenviable position.

04-27-11 07:26 AM
    I think the nice thing is the ability to DL, edit, and upload again due to the ability to browse the file structure through the OS. It's just an easy to use set up. I should have said that about the OS as well as a good browser.
    You do realize that you can do the same thing on the. iPad, right? It just asks you which app you want t open the file in for editing. You never have to navigate a file system to find it. You really should just stop trying to find some sort of advantage. There is none.

04-27-11 07:31 AM
    This thread just goes to show why an App is the real deal. Everythign else is just a glorified work around. Hopefully PB sells enough that the CO's start creating Apps for popular services. In the mobile world, an App is just plain better.
    04-27-11 08:32 AM
    Although the web interface is a good workaround for now, it's main purpose on Dropbox is to access your files from any PC (a friends PC, public computer, etc.). However the main purpose of Dropbox is to sync files across all your devices easily, and without a native app interacting with your file system, the full service is not utilized properly.

What made me signup with Dropbox in the first place was it had apps for all the platforms I use (Linux, Blackberry, Windows, and Mac) and I could sync and/or transfer files easily from one system to another.

I have no doubt a native app will come along eventually for the Playbook.
    04-27-11 09:32 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD