The solution is seriously simple: don't buy drm protected content. Avoid itunes at all costs.
    Music from iTunes no longer comes with DRM. That's so, so offtopic.

Or are you going to tell us they released iTunes for Android by Handster on AppWorld?
    02-25-12 03:33 PM
    what i find ironic here is the op uses a ported android app to discover and whine about android drm on the playbook.
    GC doesn't run in the Android emulator so your post is a FAIL.

OP, I'd be interested if you can find anything else in the player.
    Last edited by emtunc; 02-25-12 at 03:37 PM.
    02-25-12 03:35 PM
    Amro is actually correct, but the intent behind his post has absolutely zero relevance. He's basically saying that because I used a tool to discover something within that tool, that is somehow worse than learning anything about it at all. Ridiculous reasoning.
    02-25-12 03:44 PM

Check my post in the apps forum with Ghost Commander help in the title, it shows you how to find all this stuff.
    02-25-12 03:46 PM
    My post says it's ironic you used an android app to find the android drm in question.

Your tin foil hat is too tight for your head.

Either suck it up and accept content with drm, or avoid using it. I prefer the latter.
    02-25-12 04:12 PM
    Thanks for not reading the full context of the thread, have a wonderful day captain comprehension
    emtunc and alnamvet68 like this.
    02-25-12 04:17 PM
    GC doesn't run in the Android emulator so your post is a FAIL.

I beg your pardon. Ghost Commander most certainly does run in the emulator. It's an Android app.

smdh

Talk about fail.
    02-25-12 04:53 PM
    I beg your pardon. Ghost Commander most certainly does run in the emulator. It's an Android app.

smdh

Talk about fail.
    failblog. Not sure where I got that from.
    My apologies amro...
    02-25-12 05:08 PM
    So what is your recommended course of action? It's a necessary evil. Not much we can do about it. Don't buy DRM protected content from within the Android Player if it concerns you. Read the agreement when you buy something so you KNOW what your options are, not just an assumption based on the easiest method of use.

So more layman's needs....

1: Is this app/module/scheme scanning my content "right now" looking for movies, music or books that are already on my pb?

2: Or is it going to attempt to prevent them from being loaded?

3: And/or is it going to actively remove any of those items or "disable" use?

4: Or is it reporting me directly to J Edgar Hoover?
    No, No, No, He's dead.

When you buy something with DRM restrictions through the AP, this is where those files will be securely stored. It needs to be monitored so that they are not copied from or tampered with. There's probably similar functionality on the QNX side. Without it, we'll never see things like NetFlix.
    02-25-12 05:19 PM
    Where as, of course, if there were no "media thieves" the world would be sweetness and light and free of DRM. Because no corporation is ever going to use such technology to squeeze as much money as they can out of people or lock them in as their customers only. Darn you, you horrible media thieves! I bet you kick puppies too!
    Your post shows your ignorance. Don't put words in my mouth.
    Corporations didn't create DRM to squeeze anyone. If you ever created anything then saw it floating around the web for free you might have a different view. I realize that stealing digital bits and bytes is so common place that I am fighting a losing battle just mentioning it. It is also why this conversation is even happening.
    \
    To get this post closer to the topic... I don't know why there is any hostility toward the OP. The android player is in the OS we all have and I am glad he is raising questions. Thanks for investigating.
    omniusovermind likes this.
    02-25-12 05:29 PM
    Scionic, I don't have any recommended course of action. There's nothing we can do about it. But I think we should be educated about what exactly they've stuffed in the new OS that we wouldn't have otherwise known about without investigation and asking questions. I think a little foreknowledge is never a bad thing. As for the hostility of a couple responses that was mentioned earlier by Chad, I chalk that up to some people jumping the gun and mistaking this as a bashing exercise rather than a criticism and fact finding. Their conclusions aren't my problem.
    02-25-12 05:54 PM
    Corporations didn't create DRM to squeeze anyone. If you ever created anything then saw it floating around the web for free you might have a different view.
    I'm confused as to how DRMs stop things from being published online. I got a movie with a DRM (at least that's what it said) and I could copy it wherever I wanted, I just couldn't play it on something other than a computer...
    02-25-12 05:54 PM
    I really think youre misunderstanding this function. Either that or youre mis-explaining it which is causing others to misunderstand it.

- When you download a piece if media with drm on it you are essentially downloading a lockbox and key.

Older computers or older media devices may not know what to do with these downloads because they have no way to put the key to the lock, to retrieve the media

The media player in your favorite media device hands a drm media file to the drm software in your device which puts the key to the lock, then hands the file back to the media player to play the media (books movies music images etc)

Apps bought from app stores are media with drm, they may not be blocked from being copied etc, but they are "tagged" to your device.

So this software youre so worried about is constantly looking out for files to be handed to it so it can unlock and hand it back

This software does NOT monitor your device for illegal content, or adult content, or shady content.

It will NOT delete ill gotten media

It will NOT report anything back to anyone except maybe the drm provider for the particular drm file you are accessing

Any device capable of playing drm media has software like this. This includes your dvd player at home, your playbook BEFORE OS 2, your video game console, your phone, your car, your pc...the list goes on...

I followed your link which had a bunch of false alarms...people saw something they didnt recognize associated with high download activity...it turned out to be ota android software updates...

Also, i may be wrong, but disabling this software would probably render a bunch of apps and any drm'd media useless to the android player
    Last edited by offthahorseceo; 02-26-12 at 01:02 AM.
    erodenero, FF22 and avaio like this.
    02-26-12 12:59 AM
    I really think youre misunderstanding this function. Either that or youre mis-explaining it which is causing others to misunderstand it.
    That's very possible, but I freely admit I don't totally understand it, which is why I made this thread. I DO want to understand it and be reassured that it's not a problem or using resources in which case I'd rather not have it if it does.

- When you download a piece if media with drm on it you are essentially downloading a lockbox and key.

Older computers or older media devices may not know what to do with these downloads because they have no way to put the key to the lock, to retrieve the media

The media player in your favorite media device hands a drm media file to the drm software in your device which puts the key to the lock, then hands the file back to the media player to play the media (books movies music images etc)

Apps bought from app stores are media with drm, they may not be blocked from being copied etc, but they are "tagged" to your device.

So this software youre so worried about is constantly looking out for files to be handed to it so it can unlock and hand it back

This software does NOT monitor your device for illegal content, or adult content, or shady content.

It will NOT delete ill gotten media

It will NOT report anything back to anyone except maybe the drm provider for the particular drm file you are accessing

Any device capable of playing drm media has software like this. This includes your dvd player at home, your playbook BEFORE OS 2, your video game console, your phone, your car, your pc...the list goes on...

I followed your link which had a bunch of false alarms...people saw something they didnt recognize associated with high download activity...it turned out to be ota android software updates...

Also, i may be wrong, but disabling this software would probably render a bunch of apps and any drm'd media useless to the android player
    ok that does help me understand it better, except for whether or not the service constantly runs in the background (possibly using resources, or battery power as is contended over at XDA Developers) or whether it only becomes active when DRM content is accessed.
    02-26-12 01:42 PM
    ok that does help me understand it better, except for whether or not the service constantly runs in the background (possibly using resources, or battery power as is contended over at XDA Developers) or whether it only becomes active when DRM content is accessed.
    Yes, the service is constantly running. It wouldn't be able to monitor protected storage if it weren't. Whether it is drawing power or not, you don't have any option to stop it, so getting worried about it is futile. The amount of draw it has on an Android device isn't necessarily the same as what it might draw on QNX. Are you seeing an unexplained large draw of power?
    02-26-12 01:47 PM
    Admittedly not so far but I want to know what's making the new player tick inside in case future problems arise

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk
    02-26-12 02:40 PM
    So does this mean I can finally play my DRM protected movies on my PB?
    02-26-12 02:44 PM
    Say you buy an ebook, song, video that has DRM using an app which has it's own store and player. Now you think you own that purchase right? Now you decide, "I'd really like that ebook on my playbook so I can read it with the Book Reader app!". Well you can't. You may think you own that ebook because you paid for it, but you only own it if you use the app and device you bought it with.
    Oh great...the PB just turned into something akin to a video game console? That's just wonderful.
    02-26-12 03:22 PM
    So does this mean I can finally play my DRM protected movies on my PB?
    I'm not sure... apparently if you have the same "store" on your PB that you bought the movie from on your other device, I would assume yes
    02-26-12 09:32 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD