When i connect the usb the red light stays on for 10secs goes for 2-3secs then comes back on its own and repeats the process.

Also a few days ago

The red light a few days ago stayed on for around 7secs then followed by 5 green/yellow lights flashing then went off until i reconnected.

Ive tried stack charging so much that ive seemed to damaged my laptop usb ports all 3 of them.

I dont have the mains charger hence the reason for usb.

Ive tried to use the search function but for some reason my cookies wont let me search nothing so I apologise in advance if this is reposted topic over and over
    04-13-13 08:00 AM
    It would take forever,if then,to stack charge with a PC.You need a regular playbook usb charger or a rapid charger to stack charge properly.They're both very reasonably priced from Amazon.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-13-13 08:36 AM
    The pc usb will literally not even charge the PB. You are completely wasting your time that way. Get yourself to a PB charger stat.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-13-13 12:31 PM
    Agreed. You need a DC charger that is rated 9 watts or better (e.g. 5 volts at 1.8 amps). Laptop and computer USB ports and general cellphone chargers just don't have the oomph you need to charge the PlayBook.
    04-13-13 01:06 PM
    04-13-13 02:17 PM
    I posted a thread back in Oct 2012 that suggests to go to Ebay and buy an HP TouchPad Barrel Charger (like $8.00) and use it for charging the PlayBook. I have two of them and they work wonderfully. In fact, they will rapid charge your BlackBerry phone too. It's the cheapest and fastest way to charge your PlayBook. You can get extra tips too for the charger to use overseas. Also, it uses a standard charge/data microUSB cable and it has retractable prongs. I've been using mine for a while at work. The bonus is that you can leave the microUSB cord in the PlayBook and stack charge using the full size cable directly into the charger...no port damage to the PlayBook since all the "force" goes into the more robust full size USB end!

Read this thread for the voltage specs: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...harger-748300/
    04-13-13 03:01 PM
    04-13-13 09:05 PM
    It's amazing you know about stack charging yet try so hard doing it the wrong way OP. As everyone is telling you here, you need the right charger. There is plenty of info to be found out there about that. And, the best tip, plug and unplug from the wall socket to prevent wear and damage to the PB USB port. It shouldn't take that long at all. When I needed to stack charge it only took about 15 min to get it charging normally. Although it could take longer. To save yourself the time, keep your PB charged or turn it off when you are not going to use it for a long period of time.
    04-14-13 10:57 AM
    It's amazing you know about stack charging yet try so hard doing it the wrong way OP. As everyone is telling you here, you need the right charger. There is plenty of info to be found out there about that. And, the best tip, plug and unplug from the wall socket to prevent wear and damage to the PB USB port. It shouldn't take that long at all. When I needed to stack charge it only took about 15 min to get it charging normally. Although it could take longer. To save yourself the time, keep your PB charged or turn it off when you are not going to use it for a long period of time.
    Thanks for reminding me. I had workmen in my home and tucked the older 32gig away in Standby. It was down to 11% and it is now on the rapid charger.
    eddy_berry likes this.
    04-14-13 11:13 AM
    I've had some desperate situations where I turned my PlayBook off and charged it off my laptop over night. I've also done this with a PS3.
    04-14-13 11:24 AM
    I've had some desperate situations where I turned my PlayBook off and charged it off my laptop over night. I've also done this with a PS3.
    It might or can work but only poorly and very slowly and only if the pb is pretty much not doing anything else. USB connections, especially from older units just does not provide sufficient power. There are also the CHARGE-ONLY usb cables that can do a better job but AT&T which use to sell those no longer stocks them.
    04-14-13 12:29 PM
    Keyword, your pb was "Off". It's the only way a computer usb will charge it faster than the rate at which the device is draining.

Also, for purposes of stack charging, you need the higher amperage to shortly get the pb to a certain bare minimum level. Never gonna happen with pc usb if the battery is that dead.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 02:38 PM
    Thanks for reminding me. I had workmen in my home and tucked the older 32gig away in Standby. It was down to 11% and it is now on the rapid charger.
    You know what F2? It was you who actually taught me about the PlayBook charging and its nuances...I owe you a big thank you, so thank you as your post taught me a lot...

See this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...arging-785939/ and post dated: 03-22-2013, 10:16 PM

That should be a sticky somewhere in my opinion.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-14-13 02:53 PM
    OP, were you not getting the popup message on your PB when plugging in to the pc USB's, that this type of connection doesn't charge the PB?

Posted via CB10
    malgpz900 likes this.
    04-14-13 03:16 PM
    Buy a rapid wall charger or the rapid dock charger, they utilize the 3 pin magnetic charging port on playbook.

Or

Call Blackberry support and see about getting the Micro Port fixed, explain as well you unable to charge device and you can't stack charge with it.
    04-14-13 05:29 PM
    OP, were you not getting the popup message on your PB when plugging in to the pc USB's, that this type of connection doesn't charge the PB?

Posted via CB10
    No because it was completely dead

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 06:05 PM
    Keyword, your pb was "Off". It's the only way a computer usb will charge it faster than the rate at which the device is draining.
    Posted via CB10
    I don't believe this is true.
    When the PB is off and charging the backlight comes on. I charge with my PC sometimes and leave it in standby and airplane mode. That way the backlight is off and the PB is using very little power.
    04-14-13 06:55 PM
    I don't believe this is true.
    When the PB is off and charging the backlight comes on. I charge with my PC sometimes and leave it in standby and airplane mode. That way the backlight is off and the PB is using very little power.
    Forgot about the back light thing while charging since one of the last updates. You can do it on standby but as you said airplane mode should be on. I don't see the need to and don't recommend it though. There's a nice notification that comes on when you charge via pc saying the power source isn't sufficient. It must be awfully slow too. I guess if you know how to do it and have no other option for whatever reason, you can get away with it. But forget about stack charging that's for sure lol.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 09:47 PM
    I have traded 10's of thousands of these. We have taken in the customer returned units from a certain UK retailer.

The Issue - Is that the standard Blackberry charger (yellow tipped 2.1amp) fits into the micro USB receptacle on the Playbook either way. Inserting this into the device the wrong way (USB symbol showing upwards rather than the RIM/Blackberry symbol) will flatten the pins inside the female charging adapter and either instantly or overtime this will prevent the micro USB charging port on the device working.

The fix = get a new charging port approx �3 dismantle the device and fit replacement (takes around 30-45 mins for an engineer with knowledge)

= or get a desktop charger this uses a different charging port on the device.

= or just put the charger in the right way round.
    04-22-13 10:39 AM
    I have traded 10's of thousands of these. We have taken in the customer returned units from a certain UK retailer.

The Issue - Is that the standard Blackberry charger (yellow tipped 2.1amp) fits into the micro USB receptacle on the Playbook either way. Inserting this into the device the wrong way (USB symbol showing upwards rather than the RIM/Blackberry symbol) will flatten the pins inside the female charging adapter and either instantly or overtime this will prevent the micro USB charging port on the device working.

The fix = get a new charging port approx �3 dismantle the device and fit replacement (takes around 30-45 mins for an engineer with knowledge)

= or get a desktop charger this uses a different charging port on the device.

= or just put the charger in the right way round.
    You have completely misread the entire thread. Good job!

Posted via CB10
    04-22-13 10:54 AM