I love my 64GB Playbook and always showcase it.

Attachment 108693

Prior to the latest upgrade, I was telling everyone that I was going to purchase another PB for my better half. I would demostrate how video chat would work with another device. Just bought another playbook last Sunday and discover that the new download knocked out my 64 GB front camera.

Irsan Iman gave me detailed instructions on how to downgrade to 2.0.0.7971. Was successful in downgrade process.

Front camera still doesn't work. I just went out of warranty and I will return the new playbook since it's function is not needed. Is this a software issue?

Questions:

1. I downloaded QR Scanner sometime back. My security was always set at denied. After this "New" update, it no longer worked. I deleted it as well to remove all variables.
    2. How do we know our root certificates are safe? Does anyone have a way to verify suspect certificates?

I'm very upset over this camera issue. The days to solve this are ticking away. Never have used this feature in over a year. Will just return the new playbook and carry on with my old non-working front camera launch model.

Please advise your thoughts. Contacting RIM for a RMA is not an option.
    04-25-12 09:47 PM
    For Irsan Iman:
    04-25-12 09:57 PM
    For the front camera, did you try reloading the OS to test if that brings it back?
    04-25-12 10:37 PM
    I just reinstalled my 64GB PB after some months of fair use, and almost at full storage capacity.
    It's pretty straight forward. Make a backup--I copied the whole /media folder instead of using the desktop software backup since it does not appear to be reliable. Remember to move your browser bookmarks over with Bridge to a memopad note, or somewhere you can store it.
    Turn off your PlayBook and connect to Desktop Software. Repair and test after going through the initial setup.
    If after that your front camera doesn't work, your unit is due for repair/replacement.
    04-25-12 10:46 PM
    As stated, back up your PB info to a computer and do a security wipe. If it is a glitch from an installed or removed app, this will return PB to factory settings. Good luck!
    04-25-12 11:11 PM
    Thanks for your comments. Good point, I didn't perform a security wipe prior to dingeberry procedure. However, a did three security wipes the night before last and tested three different saved points dating back to April 2011.

What puzzled me was the QR Scanner application. After releasing the security settings to allow, the application still stated that I needed to unlock my security settings. This application uses rear camera which was in black screen mode. Then I checked the camera and video recorder, both worked flawlessly in rear camera function only.

On Sunday afternoon calling from old unit to new, I keep receiving “ The camera is in use. Close any instances of the camera and try again." When calling from new unit to old, pressing the answer button didn’t engage into a call [unit just rang until I terminated the call from new unit].

I’m not a developer, so here is my question. When I download a application onto my playbook, what mechanism is used to tell the unit this application is assigned to my unit? Is it a certificate? I am sure many of you have the pleasure to see all the worthless apps you downloaded and uninstalled. Yet you can still reinstall again if you wish. Again, what is that mechanism? I want to purge whatever is associated from QR Scanner off my playbook. It was the only application that used my PB camera.

I strongly believe this is a software issue, not hardware.

Look forward to your comments.
    04-26-12 09:05 AM
    I can suggest ideas - REinstall that QRscanner. Remove using appworld. What happens? REinstall it and remove by pressing and holding on its icon and using the little trashcan to delete. What happens? Maybe it is not getting fully removed by one method or the other. Use the 3 button reboot

To fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.
    04-26-12 11:23 AM
    Maybe app world is using your Playbook's PIN to identify which apps you downloaded before.

Also, i am having this same exact problem with both of my cameras after the update. downgraded two days ago but still got the problem so upgraded again and did a couple security wipes and reinstalls from scratch. also my videochat cant connect to their servers. will try the downgrade to 7971 again as soon as my playbook charges up. Other people reported success that way. Also, since it has happen to more than 2 people i would say it is NOT a hardware issue.

Anyone with any other ideas?
    04-26-12 12:12 PM
    Just noticed my front camera wont work in video chat, the icon to switch the cameras is no longer there.

The front camera still works in the camera app tho.....
    04-26-12 02:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD