10-20-12 12:11 AM
29 12
tools
    I noticed that my Playbook's been keeping 2 copies of ALL my media files (photos, music, videos, documents, downloads etc...) in two separate locations - one is in the default folders which is just under the root folder and the second location is under the Android folder at misc/android/{Name} where {Name} replaces the folder name of the respective media type.

I tried to delete ALL the files from the misc/android/{Name} directory but it turns out that the two file destinations are somehow linked and EVERYTHING that I delete from misc/android/{Name} also gets deleted from the default folders under the root directory! And now that I try to copy anything into the root directory - it goes into the misc/android/{Name} directories too so i effectively only have half the storage available!

Does anyone else have this issue? Is there a work around it? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
    03-28-12 09:07 PM
    From what I've read in the CB forums, it's just a symbolic link to the files (in the Android folder), not an actual copy.
    Barljo likes this.
    03-28-12 09:09 PM
    As Lotuslanderz says, they are like Windows Shortcuts - they really do not take up much space - they are merely tiny link files. So don't really worry about them. (and for some reason, the documents folder is not duplicated)
    03-28-12 09:16 PM
    @PoppySeeds: I noticed the same with my playbook, and yes, as you said, each of the file is taking effectively double the space.
    So, for me, it does not seem to be symbolic link, but more as a copy of the file.
    Need help on this....
    Has anyone to say say anything about it???
    04-05-12 04:45 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...2/#post7294187

(Note that this is like a symbolic link... one answer, linked from two places. It doesn't mean I typed that answer twice. ;-) )
    Barljo and diegonei like this.
    04-05-12 07:32 AM
    So are you guys saying that although the Properties of both files show that they are the same size - a couple of MB/GB, one is only a shortcut link of the other?
    04-08-12 11:54 AM
    YES. I would imagine that the shortcut/symbolic/whatever-you-call-it, takes up some minimal space in some index, it is in no way a physical, space-taking, copy of the original. BUT if you delete this so-called copy, you will be deleting the REAL file, too.
    04-08-12 12:26 PM
    So are you guys saying that although the Properties of both files show that they are the same size - a couple of MB/GB, one is only a shortcut link of the other?
    It's confusing if you are used to Windows file systems because symbolic links are only superficially like Windows shortcuts and do not work the same way.

As peter9477 stated it's smoke and mirrors. The file you are looking at resides in one place in the file system and the containing folder has two names, The Android folder is in, fact a symbolic link that points to the "real" folder. However the files that are in this aliased folder are exactly the same files as the ones in the "real" folder. To summarize there is one set of files but it looks like they are in two distinct folders.

If you are still doubtful, perform the following test:

1. Create a new file in the regular documents folder.
    2. Go to the Android documents folder (where you will see the file that you just created)
    3. Delete the file that is in the Android documents folder
    4. Visit the regular documents folder and it will be nowhere to be found.
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 04-08-12 at 12:47 PM.
    04-08-12 12:33 PM
    It's confusing if you are used to Windows file systems because symbolic links are only superficially like Windows shortcuts and do not work the same way.

As peter9477 stated it's smoke and mirrors. The file you are looking at resides in one place in the file system and the containing folder has two names, The Android folder is in, fact a symbolic link that points to the "real" folder. However the files that are in this aliased folder are exactly the same files as the ones in the "real" folder. To summarize there is one set of files but it looks like they are in two distinct folders.

If you are still doubtful, perform the following test:

1. Create a new file in the regular documents folder.
    2. Go to the Android documents folder (where you will see the file that you just created)
    3. Delete the file that is in the Android documents folder
    4. Visit the regular documents folder and it will be nowhere to be found.
    Bad example! The documents folder is the one folder that does not appear to be mirrored. At least, I canNOT find it.
    04-08-12 02:07 PM
    its basically a shortcut to the ONE file
    check the properties on it and unlike windows, it doesnt say shortcut to XXXXX but it IS a shortcut to XXXXX.

if you delete said file in either location you see it it should go poof in both locations regardless of which location you deleted it from

i noticed this while i was searching through backups when all of the music videos i dl'd from youtube using mtubeplayer (android sideloaded) did not get restored after a security wipe/restore.

i found the android player sometimes saves files in its own directories around the file system/sometimes it saves them in the regular docs/downloads/photos/etc folders. (ps i found almost every streamed movie/video from different apps in various areas too like movies from NFB app)
    but when you save/create files in outside of android player stuff, itll show up in both areas LOOKING like 2 distinct files, like youre seeing
    04-08-12 03:49 PM
    Bad example! The documents folder is the one folder that does not appear to be mirrored. At least, I canNOT find it.
    Yep, my memory is no longer reliable if indeed it ever was. In checking this out I remembered that the files are not just "duplicated" - they are "triplicated" (but not really).

Try the test in my previous post using one of the following triplets of mirrored folders.

playbook:/accounts/1000/shared/misc/android/Pictures; and
    playbook:/accounts/1000/shared/photos; and
    playbook:/sdcard/Pictures

or

playbook:/accounts/1000/shared/misc/android/Download; and
    playbook:/accounts/1000/shared/downloads
    playbook:/sdcard/Download
    04-08-12 05:57 PM
    Hi everybody,

This is my 1st post, and the Playbook is my 1st ever tablet (or smartphone, or anything other than a pc). So I'm likely to ask a few newbie questions in the coming days.

I noticed this duplication yesterday. But right from the music and video native apps: all the songs and videos were listed twice in the players. So I deleted the duplicates from there.

Then, later on, when trying to transfer some video recordings from the tablet to my pc, I saw that all but one of the videos I'd recorded had disappeared from the Drive/camera folder. Yet, they all still appeared in the player on the tablet.

I finally found the missing ones in the android DCIM folder...

So, if the android folder is supposed to be a mirror of the other one, how come some videos were in one folder and not the other ?
    Last edited by angkorbeer; 05-30-12 at 08:20 PM.
    05-30-12 10:51 AM
    angkorbeer:

I can't necessarily tell you where or what or why but be CAUTIOUS when deleting a file in the Misc/Android folder unless you are sure you want it PERMANENTLY DELETED from the pb entirely. It is most likely a MIRRORED Duplicate but ......
    05-30-12 12:15 PM
    My PB refuses to backup, so I had to manually copy the file system to my PC. It made actual file copies in two locations. Not a file and a link.
    05-30-12 12:33 PM
    My PB refuses to backup, so I had to manually copy the file system to my PC. It made actual file copies in two locations. Not a file and a link.
    Yes, that's a Windows' issue. That's why folks think there are two files that take twice as much space. I'm not sure how to avoid this - since there may be unique files that Android apps create that are not duplicates.
    05-30-12 03:11 PM
    angkorbeer:

I can't necessarily tell you where or what or why but be CAUTIOUS when deleting a file in the Misc/Android folder unless you are sure you want it PERMANENTLY DELETED from the pb entirely. It is most likely a MIRRORED Duplicate but ......
    Thanks for the warning. I did make sure I had backed everything up on my pc before I deleted the files.
    05-30-12 08:18 PM
    I don't necessarily mind that the pb makes a second link to my files in folders (it's just annoying really) but would there be a way to prevent it from duplicating all my music in the player? As it is, every time I add music to the pb, which I do a lot, I have to go and manually delete all the duplicate entries in the player afterwards, unless I want to listen to everything twice in a row.
    07-08-12 05:02 PM
    No, I believe that the "shortcuts" (aliases) are at the folder level. E.g., if you look at the Android photo folder, you are actually looking at the regular photo folder. So the files in each place have the same properties, because you are looking at the same files which just appear to be in two different places.
    07-09-12 03:31 AM
    Also be aware of FALSE reporting of the space taken up by these files. WINDOWS will report that these "shortcuts" actually take up room and will act like they are in fact files. I was confused the other day. I was trying to backup any stuff in the Misc folder to my computer to cover so of the files recently created by some android apps. I figured I'd just take the entire misc folder for simplicity. Well, I started the copy process and Windows reported and error - I did not have room for 30 gigs of files. HUH! Then I realized all of my pics, music, videos were also "in" that misc folder or subfolders as "duplicates".
    07-09-12 08:38 AM
    I didnt even notice this was happening until i bought the wallpaper setter app yesterday and during the process of creating wallpaper from my pictures i noticed that a bunch of screenshots that I had deleted long ago appear in this app to set as wallpaper. so even tho i deleted them and they dont appear in my picture gallery they must be stored somewhere else that only android apps can access. I cant find those screenshots anywhere to delete.

also i understand the smoke and mirror explanation to get android apps working but going through the misc/android folder i see 2 folders for pictures, 2 folders for movies, 2 music, 2 download folders. is this normal?
    10-10-12 10:41 AM
    Lol! These are not duplicates or triplicates.

In order for Android to work, it needs to access your images and files so that the apps are seamless. To do this, the OS uses something called an Alias, its much like a Windows Shortcut. It means the same file can be viewed from multiple folder locations at the same time. And if you mess with that file, it impacts all locations! This is normal, and its how your PlayBook is meant to work.

These files are not duplicates and you should leave the entire misc/Android folder and subfolders alone. Even if you somehow magically managed to remove the alias without removing the file (the average user cannot do this) you would either break the OS or the files would re-appear after you used your PlayBook.

Just trust that the folder (which is about 95% aliases altogether) does what it is supposed to do and let it be .

Edit added, Please note: Some applications can cause triplicates and more. The Winamp APK conversion is a good example. Those are still copies of aliases, and thus have almost no filesize. I'd still leave them. If you really want to see what happens, delete one of the songs you dont like, it should vanish from all locations and the data size you gain would be the equivilient of 1 song + a few bytes for the aliases (approx 0.01% of the size of the song).

Ed.
    diegonei likes this.
    10-10-12 12:36 PM
    ok i get that but what about the my pictures that i know i have deleted that only appear in the gallery of an android app? it seems as tho pictures that I have moved or deleted using the native apps on playbook are still showing in the gallery of an android app. this is frustrating when trying to select an image in an android app because the its actually not there and causes the app to crash. how do i get rid of those?
    10-10-12 01:45 PM
    Short answer, leave it alone.
    10-10-12 02:25 PM
    They are not the pics that you deleted. What they are are cached thumbnails of the pics you deleted. Very difficult, if not impossible to delete.
    10-10-12 03:12 PM
    They are not the pics that you deleted. What they are are cached thumbnails of the pics you deleted. Very difficult, if not impossible to delete.
    There definitely needs to be a way to REFRESH the cache or do housekeeping to clean up the residual mess!
    10-10-12 04:56 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD