09-06-12 11:02 PM
176 ... 45678
tools
    AFAIK, it doesnt matter how much the Ampere that ur charger can serve. As long as the charger supply the same voltage, it's safe for the phone then.

The Blackberry phone itself has its own protection, it only charge at max current 1C (max its mAh battery).

For example it can charge max 1500mAh for Blackberry 9780 model, and 1250mAh for 9800 model.

You can check urself how many mAh ur phone can handle, by entering "Engineering Screen Contents" --> "OS Engineering Screens" --> "Battery" --> "Battery Charging Screen", it will show u "Max Battery Charge Rate".

Search the google how to enter Engineering Screen Contents in Blackberry if u dont know how...
    BobSter52 likes this.
    02-14-12 10:31 PM
    I've been following this thread for awhile and decided I can only chime in with this;
    I don't know nor understand all this voltage/amperage science, but my 9930 charger had suffered a mishap, and I was using something generic for a bit. When I got my PB, I also bought the rapid charger for it, thus freeing up the original micro USB charger that comes in the box. Provides a much faster charge and my phone never gets hot; thus I'm a believer in what some of these guys are saying in that the charging technology in the phone or battery are intelligent and won't let it fry itself (I believe that certainly for newer hardware at least.)

Second, I have noticed you can't "rapid charge" thru the dock. The original charger that came in my PB box is the exact same thing for sale in the 99** section on the CrackBerry shop as a phone "rapid charger". Just for an experiment, I plugged in the original PB charger to the OEM charging dock. Works just fine, but certainly does not charge it to full near as fast as straight plugging it in to the USB port, so if you're overly paranoid and wish to regulate your power flow, use the dock. This, by the way, is all the more proof to others and my own original point; this charging technology is intelligent, as even the dock will regulate it's power draw and charges at the rate the original A/C did before my cat got ahold of it.
    02-15-12 02:39 AM
    The reason i know this is i have been using an old Bold 9000. In one charge it totally fried the battery. On contacting RIM this is what they told me!
    The fast charger for the Playbook (the one from the box) connector (microUSB) does not match with the Bold 9000 one (miniUSB), at least for me (in France). More, my charger has a more yellow than orange connector.
    Did I missed something ?
    02-15-12 05:10 AM
    My 9780 get very hot when I played certain games (especially Bomberman Vs Zombies) and rapidly lost charge regardless of whether rebooted or not.

I thought i'd give the PB charger ago due to its higher out and left it for the night charging and 'hey presto' it seems to have given the battery a new lease of life and i have no such problems.

I think if you use it sporadically you should have any problems.
    02-15-12 05:54 AM
    AFAIK, it doesnt matter how much the Ampere that ur charger can serve. As long as the charger supply the same voltage, it's safe for the phone then.

The Blackberry phone itself has its own protection, it only charge at max current 1C (max its mAh battery).

For example it can charge max 1500mAh for Blackberry 9780 model, and 1250mAh for 9800 model.

You can check urself how many mAh ur phone can handle, by entering "Engineering Screen Contents" --> "OS Engineering Screens" --> "Battery" --> "Battery Charging Screen", it will show u "Max Battery Charge Rate".

Search the google how to enter Engineering Screen Contents in Blackberry if u dont know how...
    ^ This.

The voltages are the same so it is fine. The current ratings are what can be potentially drawn by the device.
    Slabs1960 likes this.
    02-15-12 05:59 AM
    Meh, I am safe, Torch 9800 and 9860 in hands
    02-15-12 06:09 AM
    Overnight charge on the pb and about 2 hours for the 9810 with the yellow charger.. hope it does my batt any good..

even if it fries you can always change it unlike some phones..
    02-15-12 11:02 AM
    Lots of back and forth in this thread.

Part of the USB standard is a communication between charger (supply) and device to determine the maximum amps that the supply can provide to the device. Thus a BB phone is going to tell the PB charger the max amps it can receive and the charger wont supply any more than that. It's not strictly an intelligent battery thing, although they have their own protection, its before that in the USB protocol.

BTW this is assuming that BB implemented standard USB protocol, which they may not have, but are idiots if they didn't

One of the tricks for the old Windows Mobile phones was to change the registry to allow the phone to rapid charge.
    Last edited by Snoman002; 02-15-12 at 11:10 AM.
    02-15-12 11:07 AM
    I have been using the included PB charger for my 9800 since April and a 9700 since summer. Still no ill effects.
    There is a compatibility list. If your phone is on the list then have at it.
    02-15-12 11:31 AM
    I have used the PB charger with my 9700, and (so far) it has been fine.

I used the charger compatibility list on the BB/RIM web site as a guide:

BlackBerry PlayBook tablet
    BlackBerry Bold 9930/9900
    BlackBerry Torch 9860/9850
    BlackBerry Torch 9810
    BlackBerry Torch 9800
    BlackBerry Bold 9780
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    BlackBerry Bold 9650
    BlackBerry Curve 9380
    BlackBerry Curve 9370/9360/9350
    BlackBerry Curve 3G 9300
    BlackBerry Curve 8900
    BlackBerry Curve 8500 series
    BlackBerry Tour 9630
    BlackBerry Style 9670
    BlackBerry Storm2 9550
    BlackBerry Storm 9530
    BlackBerry Pearl 3G 9100 series
    BlackBerry Pearl Flip 8200 series
    02-15-12 11:31 AM
    A friend of mine bought a PB that had a European Style Adapter in the box. The cable had an orange tip. I just checked the power supply and it's output is 5 volts 2000 ma. The input is 110 - 240 volts. Shipped out of Florida to Arizona. The plug has a North America standard electrical prongs that can be taken off and the European Style prongs installed.
    Last edited by Scotter75; 02-15-12 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Additional Info
    02-15-12 11:44 AM
    It's true though, I study Engineering and asked my teacher to what the differences where and possible dangers, he said that it was not ok under any circumstance to charge it with this heavy load, even on the newest phones.

A friend almost fried his Samsung Galaxy SII with it, laughed my bottom off because of it, but yeah :P

9780 = 1500 mAh
    PB = 5300 mAh

The battery in this beast is A to the Wesome! And yes, I have no clue how that is pronounced.
    02-15-12 11:56 AM
    Incase it wasn't mentioned, your PLaybook charger doesn't fit the 9900.. It went from mini usb to micro use (not sure on the terminology).

The only way you are going to get your playbook charger to charge a bold 9000 is to use an adapter.

FAIL.
    02-15-12 12:08 PM
    There is no way the OP could have used any of his playbook chargers to charge his 9000. Like many of said already, the 9000 uses a mini USB port (not micro like play book) Also no possible way to connect the 9000 to the rapid charging stand either....and who as ever heard of an orange tipped charger?
    Ok, not to pry here but I've seen this said so many times in this thread I have to ask:
    Was he using an adapter on the micro USB charger that comes with the PB to change it to mini USB? When my wife went from her 8350i to a 8530 the charger went from mini to micro. The charger that came with the 8530 had a much shorter cord so i just got an adapter so she could continue using her old charger as it stays plugged in behind the bed.

Edit: I hadn't read the poster above suggested the same thing as me. But agreed that this must be the case. When you have had so many phones, BlackBerrys, and other gadgets as some of us have had, you have things like that just laying around...
    Last edited by axllebeer; 02-15-12 at 12:12 PM.
    02-15-12 12:08 PM
    I don't study engineering but I think your wrong.
    What your listing is the battery capacity. The charge rate is regulated by the device.
    I didn't see a Samsung on the compatibility list.
    Of course I could be wrong as well. I just know it works fine.
    Why do we question RIM and their engineers?

It's true though, I study Engineering and asked my teacher to what the differences where and possible dangers, he said that it was not ok under any circumstance to charge it with this heavy load, even on the newest phones.

A friend almost fried his Samsung Galaxy SII with it, laughed my bottom off because of it, but yeah :P

9780 = 1500 mAh
    PB = 5300 mAh

The battery in this beast is A to the Wesome! And yes, I have no clue how that is pronounced.
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-15-12 12:09 PM
    My kids frequently use my standard PB wall charger on the following: Curve 8520, Curve (3G) 9300, Curve 9360.
    I have used it for my Torch 9800 twice.

I would guesstimate that each one of my kids is using the PB charger at least 5 times per week. This has been going on for a few months but there have been no battery problems as of yet.
    02-15-12 12:53 PM
    I didn't read all the pages in this forum but I see you guys talking about charging the BB with the PB's charger.
    This is my story when I got my PB I started using the PB charger to charge my Torch 9800 and I realized that the BB charges up much faster but after a month the battery on the BB also started to drain much quicker I tried using the regular charger but it still drained fast so I continued using the PB charger after about another month my BB battery was totally damaged it came to a point that after a full night on the charger it drained the battery in 10 minutes yes 10 minutes I had to keep it on the charger all the time until I got a new battery now I only use the regular charger.
    Last edited by BoldWorld; 02-15-12 at 01:19 PM.
    serendipity_id likes this.
    02-15-12 01:12 PM
    I'm confused. I have the charger that came with the Playbook, as well as an old BB 9000 and the port is not the same.
    i have a 9000, and 9900, both different, mini and micro. PB, micro and magnet. no orange tip here either.
    02-15-12 01:55 PM

9780 = 1500 mAh
    PB = 5300 mAh

You need to find another teacher as he/she is wrong. As an Engineering student you should do some study on current and charging circuits. Unless of course you're an ME and not EE
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-15-12 02:00 PM
    02-15-12 03:57 PM
    Tell your teacher that actually you've learned that these devices have current-limiting circuitry designed into them which actively regulates things while charging, and see what he says then.

What he's describing is akin to saying that you should NEVER open your bathroom tap, because there's a huge freakin' water tower just up the hill with enormous water pressure built up, and you could literally be blown to pieces if you crack the tap open even a tiny bit. :-)

By the way, IAAE (I Am An Engineer) and I say it is safe to swap these chargers around provided the output voltage is the same. The device protects itself and the battery.
    02-15-12 04:11 PM
    *Input multiple quote's here*

I am aware of the difference between capacity and the electrical charge needed to charge a device, however I included that in my post to point out the huge difference between those 2 batteries and one would assume that both aren't going to be charged with the same charger... due to that massive difference.

My teacher (As an engineering student I do get lessions in electrical circuits, transistors, capacitors, condensators etc.) only pointed out that it CAN in fact be harmfull for a device to recieve such a massive boost in current.

I also included the SII story to point out to a device which also could't handle the current, because why would I point out something that has been in fact, already been point out :P

Edit : BRB sueing my school.
    02-15-12 04:13 PM
    "The charger that ships with the BlackBerry PlayBook tabletis the BlackBerry Premium Charger and is fully compatible with a number of current BlackBerry smartphones.Unlike thetraditional BlackBerry smartphone wall charger which converts AC to 700-800 mA. The PlayBook charger will charge the smartphone faster than a AC charger. Even though the Premium charger is rated at 1800 mA, the BlackBerry limits the charge rate for safety reasons. The actual rate will depend on the battery model being used."

A) Yes the phone limits the charge to prevent damage.
    B) The Phone can be charged at different speeds.
    C) The faster you charge a Lithium-Ion Polymer battery the shorter the life span of the battery gets.
    D) If the playbook premium charger does indeed charge at more than twice the speed of a standard charger than you can expect your battery to last less than half the life time it would have.

If the average life span for performance is to begin dropping at 2 years and fade to useless at 3 years. Than using the faster premium charger should have you wanting to buy a new battery at under 1.5 years.

According to RIM: "the BlackBerry limits the charge rate for safety reasons" <~~ This may or may not affect the difference between the two charging speeds. RIM does say that the phones charge faster with the premium charger. Therefore the protection circuity does not eliminate the difference between the two chargers and the faster charger will harm your battery in the long run.

Faster Charge vs Battery Longevity

YOU CHOOSE!

If you let your phone sit on the PlayBook charger over night and you have a normal charger sitting around somewhere than I hope you have "Time & Cash" to spare.

For the occasional emergency where you need a boost to get you through an event? Sure!

Every night while you sleep? Stupid!

Consider it explained.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 02-15-12 at 05:25 PM.
    02-15-12 04:54 PM
    C) The faster you charge a Lithium-Ion Polymer battery the shorter the life span of the battery gets.
    D) If the playbook premium charger does indeed charge at more than twice the speed of a standard charger than you can expect your battery to last less than half the life time it would have.

Consider it explained.
    Source? Please explain where this info came from.
    02-15-12 05:29 PM
    ok cool... I have been sometimes using my PB charger to charge my BB but now I will do it daily so I can kill that mofo sooner and order a new one LOL.... (telecom hdr)
    02-15-12 05:35 PM
176 ... 45678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD