09-06-12 11:02 PM
176 ... 34567 ...
tools
    I can only speak from my recent experience. I purchased a $39.00 multi-blackberry charger for the pb to use at the office; the box says "charges playbooks". It took 8 hours to charge from 20% to 70%. The pb charger that came in the box takes 2.5 hours to go from 20% to 100%. That tells me there is a difference in chargers. The $39.00 unit is going back!
    I also had a similar experience - went on a trip with only my BB phone charger, it took all night to charge my PB; only when I came back & charged the PB with it's own yellow-tipped charger did I realise the charging rates were different - also the reason why I logged on to this thread today. Guess it's not good to use the PB charger on a BB, which explains the coloured tip (micro-USB). So now I have to travel with two chargers! Ouch!! Wish RIM would make things a little simpler for us dumb folks!
    01-18-12 11:59 AM
    The Blackberry playbook comes with a similar looking charger to most blackberry chargers, but you'll notice it comes with an orange tip; not a black tip!

Why?? Because it's a totally different voltage!

A regular blackberry phone charger has an output of 5Volts // 700mA.
    A blackberry playbook charger has a higher output of 5Volts // 2A (2000mA).

Basically it provides almost three times the power! Now this does mean its a rapid charger! But not so simple!

If your charge your blackberry playbook with a regular black charger it will charge the playbook safely, but take about three times longer!!

On the other hand charging your phone with an orange charger it will load it with three times the power! Now the problem is that older blackberries cannot handle this level of power coming in; SO IT WILL RUIN THE BATTERY!!!

All phones newer then the following are fine to charge with the orange coloured charger:

Bold 9780 or newer
    Curve 8520 or newer
    Pearl3G 9105 or newer
    Torch 9800 or newer.

All older phones will get ruined by the charger! The battery will end up getting fried! Maybe not straight away, but don't use it! Be safe!!
    With all due respect you have no idea of what your talking about! I have a Bold 9700 and by what you have stated my phone should be a paper weight by now. Just got off the phone with RIM tech support and your information is not quite accurate. I suggest you call RIM to clarify your post.
    01-18-12 12:23 PM
    this thread should have stopped....right here >>>>>

01-18-12 12:44 PM
    Positive, when I upgraded from my 9000 to a 9700 I had to get new chargers. Heres a pic of my 9780 & 9000 for reference
    Or one can buy an adapter mini to micro. I have done that for my in-car chargers.
    01-18-12 02:02 PM
    I had been using the PB charger on my 8520 for months until one day the battery cover popped off. This could just be a freak thing, but the battery was damaged and buldging. Luckely I get them free.
    01-18-12 02:33 PM
    One thing I've learned - apparently, Rim has different colored tips for SOME of their chargers. But my Bold/9650 charger and my pb's included charger are both the normal, standard (goes well with pearls) basic black tips. Nothing to distinguish them from one another. What countries/areas are getting the different colored versions?

But, as I have written, I use the rapid charger for my pb (magnetic plug) and use the pb's ac charger on my Bold and have been doing that for months with no issues whatsoever.
    01-18-12 02:46 PM
    Mexico, at least, gets an orange shroud (housing) on the USB connector of the included charger, along with a wall plug that has two styles of insert that can be slipped into place depending on which type of outlet you've got.

I know this, because our good friends at Globalware shipped me one of these as one of my November orders when the big sale was on.

(I think that's for the "Latin region" or something, not just Mexico.)
    01-18-12 03:11 PM
    I HAVE noticed that the pb charger charges my 9900 insanely fast. from almost dead to full in about 20 min.
    01-18-12 04:00 PM
    the 9900 is safe to charge with this charger right? if so,why?
    01-18-12 04:02 PM
    yellow\orange tip = 220-240 volts?
    black tip = 110-130 volts?

Can any one prove me wrong?
    01-18-12 04:02 PM
    On the Blackberry website it states that you can use the Playbook rapid charger for your BB phone. You can't say its bad unless you have had a bad experience with a bb. From what I understand they are li-ion gel batteries not standard li-ion. Don't know if it makes a difference, but RIM says go for it! If I toast my battery I'll send it to them! Haha

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-12 05:29 PM
    ...in N.Amer., the micro usb rapid charger, sold by RIM, for the phones has the same model number as the standard PB charger.
    We have been using our PB charger with our 9300, 9360 and 9800. Absolutely no problems.
    01-18-12 05:33 PM
    Using a faster charger on the Li-Po battery in your phone will shorten the life of the battery. Shortening the life of the battery also means at some point, long before the battery should need replacing, your battery life will become shorter.

I would stick with a charger that is 750mA or less.

Last edited by olblueyez; 01-18-12 at 05:57 PM.
    01-18-12 05:38 PM
    There is a whole ton of misinformation in this thread. Those of us who use lithium type batteries everyday(as I do in the R/C hobby) know what to do and what not to do.
    01-18-12 05:50 PM
    I've been using my PB charger for my phone since I bought the PB in September. Both are still doing fine.
    01-18-12 05:54 PM
    Been charging my 9930 with PB charger since I got the 9930, i get about 14 hours average of battery life (on the BB)
    01-18-12 05:55 PM
    misinformation or not, the thread is an interesting read.

think I will use my pb charger to charge my pb and I will use my torch charger to charge my torch, in an emergency I will interchange chargers if I have to. simple as that.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-18-12 06:10 PM
    You need to learn a little about electricity !!!! The battery draws the current it wants the charger just has the potential to supply more current. The key factor is voltage.
    Exactly. You could connect a 5A charger to your phone, it's only going to accept it's maximum of ~1.2A. With a 700mA charger the phones charging circuit is limited to 700mA (.7A).
    Charging a battery capable of accepting 1.2A with a .7A charger will marginally extend the life of the battery. That is why phone ship with 700mA chargers.
    01-18-12 07:44 PM
    yellow\orange tip = 220-240 volts?
    black tip = 110-130 volts?

Can any one prove me wrong?
    Yep. See my note about the charger-with-orange-USB-connector included in my PlayBook that arrived from Globalware but was intended for Mexico.

I'm in Canada... works great here, with the appropriate plug installed for North American sockets, and of course we use 120VAC.
    01-18-12 07:53 PM
    The Blackberry playbook comes with a similar looking charger to most blackberry chargers, but you'll notice it comes with an orange tip; not a black tip!

Why?? Because it's a totally different voltage!

A regular blackberry phone charger has an output of 5Volts // 700mA.
    A blackberry playbook charger has a higher output of 5Volts // 2A (2000mA).

Basically it provides almost three times the power! Now this does mean its a rapid charger! But not so simple!

If your charge your blackberry playbook with a regular black charger it will charge the playbook safely, but take about three times longer!!

On the other hand charging your phone with an orange charger it will load it with three times the power! Now the problem is that older blackberries cannot handle this level of power coming in; SO IT WILL RUIN THE BATTERY!!!

All phones newer then the following are fine to charge with the orange coloured charger:

Bold 9780 or newer
    Curve 8520 or newer
    Pearl3G 9105 or newer
    Torch 9800 or newer.

All older phones will get ruined by the charger! The battery will end up getting fried! Maybe not straight away, but don't use it! Be safe!!
    Can't tell if trolling, or out of your mind. What modifications of extreme reverse engineering have you done to get a micro to a mini USB port plugin?
    Willard814 and glassofpinot like this.
    01-18-12 08:55 PM
    I know a lot of people have discussed this but if the 9780 is not damaged then what makes it different from the 9700 and 9000 in the battery? All three phones use the exact same MS1 battery!!! That would mean the charger would damage all three phones' batteries. If anyone can state facts to the contrary please do, until then the argument is pointless.

FYI all new phones use a smaller amp batteries (1250 mA[bold 9900/9930, torch 9850/9860] vs 1500mA[bold 9000/9700/9780]), like i said pointless
    01-18-12 10:32 PM
    Here's the link to the PB charger/BB rapid charger on the BB website: BlackBerryPremiumCharger - RIM US

Click on the Compatibility tab to see the BBs it is compatible with.

FWIW, by the time your battery wears out from the rapid charging, if it in fact does, it will be time for a new BB anyway.
    01-18-12 11:16 PM
    It may also be possible the charger is able to recognize what kind of device it is attached to and adjustments to the charging speed.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-20-12 03:34 PM
    I've been charging my style with my playbook charger for months now with no problem.Sorry for the double post this one did not show up at first after loading ..
    Last edited by BB-Bmore; 01-20-12 at 03:43 PM.
    01-20-12 03:38 PM
    A picture is worth a thousand words.I have been using my playbooks charger on my style for months with no issues.
    01-20-12 03:41 PM
176 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD