fast charging the battery wont do any harm if done in moderation.

charging the battery at 1c (1 times the batteries capacity) in the case of the 9900 its 1250mah it will take an hour to charge. charging it off the pb charger will charge it a little under 2c at 2amp hour. i wouldnt recommend doing it every charge, but now and again wont harm
    09-05-11 04:09 PM
    Good effort but the information isn't totally correct. The voltage is the same, the amp output (current) is what is different. The maximum charging rate for lithium-ion and lithium-polymer batteries is 1C, where 'C' correlates to the capacity of the battery. Taking a 1500 mAh battery, a charge rate of 1C would be 1500 mA, or 1.5 A. Now, lithium-polymer batteries CAN be rapid charged slightly over 1C, but this does reduce the life of the battery. An even better charge rate would be 0.7C, or 1.05 A for that 1500 mAh battery. This also means that lithium-polymer batteries cannot be charged in less than an hour without compromising battery health.

This information is well understood in the hobby RC world where lithium-based batteries are in wide usage. I've posted these warnings both on the CrackBerry article on using the PlayBook charger as well as in these forums in the past. I have read charger reviews where the CrackBerry reviewer referred to the charger output rating in "mAh," so I seriously question their expertise in such matters.

ALL BlackBerry phones/batteries have charging electronics in them to prevent battery from damage and to ensure optimal charging, and should not take any damage from being used with a 2A/5V charger. 1C charging would be ensured
    09-05-11 04:10 PM
    The PB charger is 1.8A.
    mapsonburt and Willard814 like this.
    09-05-11 04:44 PM
    hm... does the cord plug intio the USB port (left) or rapid charge port (right) on the PB?
    The 9000 uses a mini usb & the PlayBook comes with a Micro usb. The Rapid charger port uses that magnetic type connect, so thats out of the question. Its like the OP is putting a square peg into a circle opening.
    09-05-11 04:50 PM
    The 9000 uses a mini usb & the PlayBook comes with a Micro usb. The Rapid charger port uses that magnetic type connect, so thats out of the question. Its like the OP is putting a square peg into a circle opening.
    Aren you sure? I'm pretty sure RIM has used the MiCroUSB standard since the 8300
    CrackMachine likes this.
    09-05-11 04:55 PM
    There is a separate RAPID CHARGER is is like a larger ac adapter but ends in a small three-pin magnetic "plug." It probably contacts the same location as THE DOCK but it is just a charger plug.

Newegg.com - BlackBerry Rapid Travel Charger for PlayBook (ACC-39341-303)

and you tube

So this dock is something for bb bolds that may have been used to allow connecting the playbook rapid charger to fry the OP's battery?
    09-05-11 04:58 PM
    Aren you sure? I'm pretty sure RIM has used the MiCroUSB standard since the 8300
    Positive, when I upgraded from my 9000 to a 9700 I had to get new chargers. Heres a pic of my 9780 & 9000 for reference
    Willard814, curvezzz and bungaboy like this.
    09-05-11 05:04 PM
    There is no way the OP could have used any of his playbook chargers to charge his 9000. Like many of said already, the 9000 uses a mini USB port (not micro like play book) Also no possible way to connect the 9000 to the rapid charging stand either....and who as ever heard of an orange tipped charger?
    Willard814 and curvezzz like this.
    09-05-11 05:07 PM
    I'm sure he's sure. I have a 9000 9700 and 9800. The 9000 is mini USB. The others are micro including the PB

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Willard814 and psiclne like this.
    09-05-11 05:26 PM
    There is no way the OP could have used any of his playbook chargers to charge his 9000. Like many of said already, the 9000 uses a mini USB port (not micro like play book) Also no possible way to connect the 9000 to the rapid charging stand either....and who as ever heard of an orange tipped charger?

mine came with the orange one.... i can post pics and yes, the charger feels hevier than the normal ones.
    09-05-11 05:57 PM
    So there are orange tipped PB chargers (No idea why some are and some arn't) ...but there is still no way a Micro USB charger can be plugged into a Mini USB charger and therefore the OP's story is a bit odd.
    Willard814 and curvezzz like this.
    09-05-11 06:11 PM
    My 8330 was definitely a Mini.
    09-05-11 06:34 PM
    My 8310 was mini. Remember when I tried to borrow my work mates charger for their newer curve it didn't fit

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    curvezzz and psiclne like this.
    09-05-11 06:38 PM
    The pb chargers will work fine. Send RIM an email and they will confirm.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Willard814 likes this.
    09-05-11 07:05 PM
    So there are orange tipped PB chargers (No idea why some are and some arn't) ...but there is still no way a Micro USB charger can be plugged into a Mini USB charger and therefore the OP's story is a bit odd.
    I just bought one of these.

Blackberry Micro-USB (Female) to Mini-USB (Male) Charging Adapter - CrackBerry Canada
    09-05-11 07:23 PM
    Are the 'orange tipped' units supplied for certain international locations? I realize the standard PB charger is rated for universal voltage and Freq.(hz) but could have issues when using it with plug adapters depending on if primary supply out of the wall comes from a delta or wye transformer. (neutral/gnd Issues with the capacitance touch screen).

Original post mini/micro usb issue doesn't make sense without also using usb adapters or non Rim parts.
    09-05-11 08:00 PM
    the OP is wrong. Even if RIM said that was the reason there wrong. I guess thats why they stopped posting.
    09-05-11 08:31 PM
    The reason i know this is i have been using an old Bold 9000. In one charge it totally fried the battery. On contacting RIM this is what they told me!

I have asked them to send me an explanation for this, or an official word from them, so i can forward it to all you nice people as proof! They said they are sending me a new battery for my bold (after an hour of shouting at them for not informing people about this) and it should be fine. But i am not impressed by this!

If i am wrong, i'll start a new thread screwing at the gentleman who told me this over the phone, and the way RIM operates!
    The RIM representative is wrong. Voltage is the same, 5V, only the current is different. Higher current will charge the battery faster. It's the very same principal with the PB RAPID charger.

Your battery probably already had a problem before you tried charging it with the PB charger.
    Last edited by Cracker_Hughes; 09-05-11 at 09:16 PM.
    Willard814 and Chaddface like this.
    09-05-11 08:59 PM
    THANK YOU. I've been looking FOREVER for one of those (so I can use the same charger for my old bluetooth headset).
    09-05-11 09:14 PM
    The reason i know this is i have been using an old Bold 9000. In one charge it totally fried the battery. On contacting RIM this is what they told me!

I have asked them to send me an explanation for this, or an official word from them, so i can forward it to all you nice people as proof! They said they are sending me a new battery for my bold (after an hour of shouting at them for not informing people about this) and it should be fine. But i am not impressed by this!

If i am wrong, i'll start a new thread screwing at the gentleman who told me this over the phone, and the way RIM operates!
    Hah, you just gave it away, Fail.
    Bold 9000 has a mini usb unlike the pb which has a micro usb like bold 9700+
    Willard814 likes this.
    09-05-11 09:41 PM
    THANK YOU. I've been looking FOREVER for one of those (so I can use the same charger for my old bluetooth headset).
    Just so it's clear, this is to use a micro-USB cable on a mini-USB device (e.g., to use a current-generation BlackBerry cable to connect a digital camera). There is another adapter if you want to use a mini-USB cable on a micro-USB device (e.g., to use a digital camera cable to charge your BlackBerry).

It sounds like this is the correct one for your needs, but I wanted to clear it up in case you got the wrong one.
    Willard814 likes this.
    09-05-11 09:49 PM
    My Playbook charger doesn't even work with my 9800. Its very odd. I'll plug it in and it doesn't do a thing. My phone died the other night and I plugged the pb charger into it and in the morning my BlackBerry was still dead.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-11 10:03 PM
    Just some info:

You can plug a Playbook charger to a Bold 9000 by buying something like this:

Mini usb 5 pin male to micro usb female cable adapter | eBay

Also, I think that as long as your phone doesn't get too hot, the battery should be fine. I believe its the heat from the rapid-charging that damages the battery. The lithium-ion batteries should be kept at room temperature or even lower if possible.

I know its not super credible, but check
    Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    09-05-11 11:32 PM
    Are the 'orange tipped' units supplied for certain international locations? (neutral/gnd Issues with the capacitance touch screen).
    Not sure, I am in Australia and my PB charger has the orange end.
    09-06-11 12:31 AM
    am from India and my PB charger has the orange tip as well
    09-06-11 01:27 AM
176 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD