Pure baloney. I`ve got about a dozen Android apps on my Playbook and it hasn`t slowed down one ioda. In fact many of the native PB apps are slower than the Android apps.
    03-04-12 12:17 AM
    What are the must have Android apps that you can't live without, that aren't available in App World?
    Kindle
    Pandora
    Dictionary App
    Dolphin Browser, which they've now taken down from the app world
    various keyboard apps that let me type Korean
    RepliGo Reader
    ComicRack
    Moon+ Reader
    various Korean android apps that the app world is never going to make availabe...

the list goes on and on...
    03-04-12 12:19 AM
    Nope, it's not. If you do want more apps, either grab a used droid phone or tablet and use it on wifi and there you go, more apps on a second device. Just my two cents. They're quite cheap on ebay.
    I'm trying to find any content in your post and can't.
    03-04-12 12:38 AM
    My experience with kindle started well. After a few days though, I had to register all the time, the book I was reading would disappear, had to be downloaded again, I could not access books downloaded on the device without an Internet connection and altogether the PlayBook was behaving weirdly and I had to reboot 3 or 4 times a day . I have uninstalled it and the PlayBook seems happy again.
    03-04-12 03:01 AM
    So I have no android apps loaded and I see a few things on the PB:

1. Browser is much, much snappier
    2. Memory runs about 550 Mb and native apps open up much quicker
    3. Email is almost instantaneous

No more crashes. Of course, my selection of apps from App World isn't even good enough to be classified as pathetic [RIM - are you listening!] and I hope some devs catch on quick or I fear the PB will become the dodo of tablets. The hardware is so great it's a shame that RIM is clueless. The fruit tablet just crossed the 25 billion downloads mark!
    That's explains it! The reason for my GTab being slower than the PB and the crashes, the Android apps. I should have just deleted the android apps from the Tab and it might have been as smooth as my PB.
    anon(2254645) and Willard814 like this.
    03-04-12 03:22 AM
    Kindle
    Pandora
    Dictionary App
    Dolphin Browser, which they've now taken down from the app world
    various keyboard apps that let me type Korean
    RepliGo Reader
    ComicRack
    Moon+ Reader
    various Korean android apps that the app world is never going to make availabe...

the list goes on and on...
    What dictionary are you running? Dictionary.com 3.0.1 will not load for me.
    03-04-12 06:29 AM
    Personally I don't use android apps because I don't like them and I have used plenty on other devices, I prefer to keep my playbook clean and only have a couple of native apps like box and a couple of news readers. This is a work machine so that's why I switched from an android machine and even got rid of my Google account with all the latest privacy issues.

Since getting the playbook I will never go back to android.
    03-04-12 06:43 AM
    I'm calling pure BS and someone trying to spread paranoia about the android implementation.

I have a total of 5 android apps(4 of which are sideloaded)loaded, and my PB runs just like it did before I loaded them. No slowdown, no mem loss, no android player crashes(use to crash when one of the games I play wanted me to buy something for the game via android market, Now it just skips over the "add")
    03-04-12 07:05 AM
    Well, I dont know what hou guys are doing wrong, but when I use my android apps I back all the way out of em until I'm back in the Android home screen. I have many android apps and my PB still runs like a champ!
    Same here! I think most people think they just "x" out of the app and that closes it. I have 4 android apps and they all work fine. Enough of these trolling rants!
    03-04-12 07:15 AM
    This sounds like b.s. to me, rim knew they needed help in the app department. Which is why they implemented the Android player and with some new tablets coming out soon it may very well be to late. Btw, I've got over twenty android apps sideloaded and the native side still runs great.
    03-04-12 07:25 AM
    Too bad, I must install Repligo because I can't live without PDF reader and you know original PDF reader from PB very2 painful limited feature, can't memorize last open page, etc.
    Lucky you no need to install android apps.
    03-04-12 07:34 AM
    Well, I'm willing to risk the Wrath of Android. Anyone have a link to something called LOCUS, I believe. Apparently, it can turn the gps ON and OFF. I'd like to see if there's someway to control it a bit more, if possible.
    03-04-12 10:14 AM
    With my horrible experience with kindle, I will not touch an android app with a barge pole.
    03-04-12 10:20 AM
    I have 10 Android apps sideloaded and 1 purchased through Appworld. I don't have any problems here. My lower battery drain is the result of the native push email. Now I have it bridged and it's back to normal.
    03-04-12 11:23 AM
    Another cleverly worded thread...really a backhanded compliment, asteism if you will, of the PlayBook; no apps, RIM is clueless, App World is pathetic, and Apple sells gazillions of apps, blah, blah, blah....
    Thing is, many people are joining in and agreeing with the OP. Like it or not it is a valid post so don't be so dismissive and defensive.
    03-04-12 11:27 AM
    Same here! I think most people think they just "x" out of the app and that closes it. I have 4 android apps and they all work fine. Enough of these trolling rants!
    So hitting the "X" does not close the running android app? Pretty sure I have read on here that hitting it does just that...close the app. All I do is hit the X and I haven't run into any lag issues.
    03-04-12 11:32 AM
    So I have no android apps loaded and I see a few things on the PB:

1. Browser is much, much snappier
    2. Memory runs about 550 Mb and native apps open up much quicker
    3. Email is almost instantaneous

No more crashes. Of course, my selection of apps from App World isn't even good enough to be classified as pathetic [RIM - are you listening!] and I hope some devs catch on quick or I fear the PB will become the dodo of tablets. The hardware is so great it's a shame that RIM is clueless. The fruit tablet just crossed the 25 billion downloads mark!
    I do not agree with your post and I suggest getting ipad.
    03-04-12 11:36 AM
    This sounds like b.s. to me, rim knew they needed help in the app department. Which is why they implemented the Android player and with some new tablets coming out soon it may very well be to late. Btw, I've got over twenty android apps sideloaded and the native side still runs great.
    Same here. No major issues.
    03-04-12 11:38 AM
    I really don't need the android apps there. It's just to show my iOS and Android fan boys that I can do it. The dolphin brown scores 182 on HTML5 test, while native browser does 354! The kindle app is alright and most books know like are on the native Kobo reader. The ebay app sucks and is much more pleasant with the full web browser with rich adobe flash content. I downloaded 3 Walt Disney books for my son, which I already have on his ipad. Overall the ability to download Android apps is just away to show what this tablet can do.
    03-04-12 11:41 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD