When the Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE first came out on Rogers, the 3yr contract price was $399.
    Rogers launches Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE | MobileSyrup.com

These on-contract prices will obviously come down, just as they do for phones and other tabs like Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE.
    I and I don't think anyone else means to suggest the price won't come down. IT is more that it shouldn't be this high from the get go. Spec to spec the Galaxy Tab 8.9 is very similar to the Playbook. It should start at the same price.
    08-03-12 06:55 PM
    Also, don't dare call me a troll.
    Welcome to Crackberry. If you don't believe the 'RIMpire will strike back,' and the Playbook is God's gift to tablet-kind, you're a 'troll.'

As for the troll translation, I can't go by what he "meant" to say but only by what he did say.
    You're either being daft or just won't agree with me because the truth hurts. A Galaxy Tab 8.9 is cheaper on contract and far more functional.

troll
    just trolling
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    08-03-12 06:57 PM
    Its a rip off compared to the Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE that is currently available at Rogers for $199.99 on a 3 year contract

I do not care about the off contract price. No one is buying this on off contract prices so I consider the 3 year contract price is what I am concerned about. Why are you assuming that enterprise companies are buying this off contract? Why would they not buy on contract and upgrade very 2 years. Seems reasonable to me.

Also, don't dare call me a troll. Just because I am more passionate about RIM/Blackberry does not make me a troll. Go to berryreview.com to see how trolly I am. Do I have too much time on my hands? No... this just happens to be what I am passionate about and I happen to type at over 90 wpm which make putting up posts very quick. And yes... I do want a 4G playbook... but only at the right price.

When I said income wasn't an issue I was referring to me. I could go buy a 4G Playbook for $350 on contract or even 550 off contract. But I won't because its over priced and I don't like paying more than I should. You are the one who asserted that someone should go get a job
    Ugh, quick clarification. I never called you a troll, you read that wrong.
    I said your whining (complaining ), which you admitted by saying you want a 4g pb just not at that price. (not trolling but desire to own one)

Companies (usually) do, not what's logical to most but what is in their best interest. Not to mention it's a different kind of market thanks to things regular folks don't consider like tax subsidized purchases and write off of "obsolete" tech. (why some companies including one I work for will buy on no contact) flexibility of choice.
    Not to mention we have a few rocket sticks already so no need for new contract.

Rogers contract price is up to them take up your complaints directly with them. But fact remains off contract introduction price is still better on the 4G pb. Which btw that Other tablet isn't even up for consideration where security trumps functionality even tho function like desire is subjective. I'm pretty sure my citrix solution works the same across platforms...
    Last edited by pcguy514; 08-03-12 at 07:57 PM.
    08-03-12 07:55 PM
    Simple logic, if you can't afford something, even if your the world's biggest fan.
    DONT BUY IT, BUT ALSO STOP WHINING.
    To demand they give away their products is the real slap in the face.
    Every company is in business for one basic reason $. Can't make $ if you give away every chance of profit to gain market share on a non NOC revenue tablet.

Try this with Rolls Royce, or Ferrari.
    Or even a 100$+ or more a plate restaurant.

Off to Twitter to influence ferrari to sell me a 458 Italia for 20k.
    I sort of agree.
    It does seem dear but people here seem to think RIM also made this tab in large numbers like the first one that they just have to take a hit on it too. They seem to overlook the fact that RIM's revenue streams are under a lot of pressure. This is a tablet RIM didn't really need to make but in preparation for BB10 they had to out a 4G LTE device on QNX to get a real feel for it. They also could have commited to this tab (in contracts and research) long before the tablet market demographics became clearer.
    One thing is sure, RIM does not expect this to sell in large numbers and obviously didn't make a lot of them.
    08-05-12 11:10 AM

This $350 on a 3 year is a slap to all of us Blackberry fanatics.

Yeah... I am pissed and I am not ashamed of it
    Whao Brian,

Hold your horses. Where did you see the pricing before it is announced? I can't find it anywhere.

Is this a proactive bashing?

If I check and compare the non-contract pricing, the rumor $550 is lower than all other LTE tablets in the carrier offerings from Tellus, Bell and Rogers.
    08-05-12 12:00 PM
    They'll sell some at this price to the diehard true believers, and then in a few months bring it down to the price of the Android tablets so that normal people will consider it.
    LOL!!!!!
    I spit up laughing when I read this.

I will be one of the "normal" people waiting 6 mos or so to ensure a lower purchase pruce. No way will this thing survive at those prices for more than 4 months. Blackberry products right now suffer from waaaay to bruised of a reputation to encourage people enough to give up that much coin for them.
    08-05-12 01:48 PM
    They'll sell some at this price to the diehard true believers, and then in a few months bring it down to the price of the Android tablets so that normal people will consider it.
    Unfortunately this is true.

The pricing structure is that so that the Enterprise customers who have been waiting for this product, and I do know of a few will be purchasing these in a reasonable volume, they wont be paying full retail, but the "discount" from full retail will be applied,

within 2-3 months when sales to the consumers are slow they'll lower the price to the precedent that the PlayBook wifi set. the 32GB LTE PlayBook SHOULD be priced at $399 with $100 drops per year on contract, as the carriers at MINIMUM will get $10/month on a shared plan with a phone for the device or $120/year $99 on a 3 year data share contract, I'd be lined up at my Rogers on opening day to hand my $113 over to Rogers and agree to datasharing for 3 years, because I'm pretty sure I'll have a tablet might not be this PlayBook but I will have cellular tablets for the next 3 years.
    08-05-12 02:07 PM
    Unfortunately this is true.

The pricing structure is that so that the Enterprise customers who have been waiting for this product, and I do know of a few will be purchasing these in a reasonable volume, they wont be paying full retail, but the "discount" from full retail will be applied,

within 2-3 months when sales to the consumers are slow they'll lower the price to the precedent that the PlayBook wifi set. the 32GB LTE PlayBook SHOULD be priced at $399 with $100 drops per year on contract, as the carriers at MINIMUM will get $10/month on a shared plan with a phone for the device or $120/year $99 on a 3 year data share contract, I'd be lined up at my Rogers on opening day to hand my $113 over to Rogers and agree to datasharing for 3 years, because I'm pretty sure I'll have a tablet might not be this PlayBook but I will have cellular tablets for the next 3 years.

You guys are unreal.

First, the LTE Playbook pricing hasn't even been announced and you are already complaining!

Do you even have a clue how much the other LTE tablet non-contract pricing (MSRP) are?
    LTE Galaxy Tab C$650 (courtesy of Bell Canada).
    Apple has a 3G iPad, not as good as LTE.
    3G iPad-----C$730 - 32GB, $830 - 64 GB.

Do you complaint about the Samsung and the Apple too? They both have much higher price than the rumor C$550 LTE Playbook.

90% of you on this thread are trolls? Why are you here to make up things?
    Cracklen likes this.
    08-05-12 08:45 PM
    The pricing hasn't been officially announced, but the it will be today. However, the pricing sheets from the carriers have been leaked and have been making the rounds on all the tech sites.

The iPad 2 is 3G. The new iPad (3rd generation iPad) is LTE and it's $750. Would I buy the new 32 GB iPad with LTE? No, probably not. It's too expensive. However, if I had to choose between the two I'd probably go with the iPad even though it's $200 more. simply becuase of the larger screen and more apps. To me that's worth the extra $200 if I'm already spending $550 on a LTE table.
    08-06-12 12:10 AM
    The pricing hasn't been officially announced, but the it will be today. However, the pricing sheets from the carriers have been leaked and have been making the rounds on all the tech sites.

The iPad 2 is 3G. The new iPad (3rd generation iPad) is LTE and it's $750. Would I buy the new 32 GB iPad with LTE? No, probably not. It's too expensive. However, if I had to choose between the two I'd probably go with the iPad even though it's $200 more. simply becuase of the larger screen and more apps. To me that's worth the extra $200 if I'm already spending $550 on a LTE table.
    Large screen is nice sometimes. I have discovered the Open Street Map Android (OSmand) app for the PB. I can download maps of different country and able to do offline routing for navigation. So I am very happy with the 7" size. Perfect for my car console and it fits in perfectly without covering other instrumentation.

I also downloaded the Maxthon browser (a unified browser for PC, mobile and tablet). These two are big apps for me. I got what I need. A lot of apps on Apple and Android are junks and trolls. How many apps do you use daily? 'Lots of Apps' is just an overused marketing term that fits the 'Super sized it' mentally, which is actually bad for your health.

People here complaints about may be $100 difference. You on the other hand say you don't care about spending $200 more. Are the other people making hay with a $100 difference? How can they get so angry? Don't like it, don't buy it. Like it but demand to pay lower price is a bit over assuming.

I haven't seen any leak in contract pricing. If there were one, it would have be all over the Internet, especially here or Mobilesyrup. I just want to call out the intention of some bashers.
    08-06-12 06:28 AM
    I have found an August 5th MobileSyrup article on the LTE PB vote. IT mentions the price but not a picture of the price.
    Complete pricing of Rogers 4G LTE BlackBerry PlayBook | MobileSyrup.com

This thread started on August 3rd.

Someone is excited and full of anticipation.

Let's revisit this thread after the 9th.
    08-06-12 06:46 AM
    I live in the UK and if I wanted to buy this Playbook 4G in the UK it would probably set me back about �350, which is a direct conversion from $ to � which with the exchange rate will probably cost about �360. I myself own a Playbook 16gb and an iPad 2. I don't think in the UK it will be worth buying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    08-06-12 12:44 PM
    People here complaints about may be $100 difference. You on the other hand say you don't care about spending $200 more. Are the other people making hay with a $100 difference? How can they get so angry? Don't like it, don't buy it. Like it but demand to pay lower price is a bit over assuming.
    I didn't say I didn't care about a $200 price difference. What I said was that if I had to buy a 32 GB 4G LTE tablet I would go for the iPad as the larger screen and huge selection of apps were worth an extra $200 if I'm already spending a minimum of $550.

Realistically I'm not in a position where I need to choose between 4G LTE equipped tablets so if I'm buying something for myself I'll probably go for something in the $200 - $250 range that's WiFi only
    08-06-12 12:47 PM
    I have found an August 5th MobileSyrup article on the LTE PB vote. IT mentions the price but not a picture of the price.
    Complete pricing of Rogers 4G LTE BlackBerry PlayBook | MobileSyrup.com

This thread started on August 3rd.

Someone is excited and full of anticipation.

Let's revisit this thread after the 9th.
    Here's the Telus article and the Bell article.
    08-06-12 12:49 PM
    Seriously... Do something about it.

Get on twitter to your carrier, whether its Telus or Rogers or Bell. Blast them

There is precedent with Rogers reducing the price of the 9900 at launch because of consumer backlash

Also, send your complaints to Blackberry themselves. Yes carriers control pricing, but, they do work together and Blackberry should have done a better job communicating ideal pricing with carriers.

Get on the boards and blast them.
    Hows that going for ya?

Tim
    08-06-12 01:16 PM
    Here's the Telus article and the Bell article.
    These two links you provided are about the rumor price of $550 MSRP for the LTE PB.

The link I gave was the first post that I can see that talked about the contract pricing. The article was dated Aug 5. So my question is how BBA Brian jumped the gun on Aug 3rd to start this thread. He must have connection and way eager to complaint. Did he complaint about the Samsung, Motorola and iPad which all have a higher MSRP than the LTE Playbook, is what I want to know.
    08-06-12 01:31 PM
    I don't know if it's a ripoff but I do know it's far too much for me to pay with a 3 yr contract. I think its ridiculous regardless of make or model.
    3 yr contracts in Canada have to go.
    08-06-12 02:02 PM
    The 32GB LTE PlayBook SHOULD be priced at $399 with $100 drops per year on contract, as the carriers at MINIMUM will get $10/month on a shared plan with a phone for the device or $120/year $99 on a 3 year data share contract, I'd be lined up at my Rogers on opening day to hand my $113 over to Rogers and agree to datasharing for 3 years, because I'm pretty sure I'll have a tablet might not be this PlayBook but I will have cellular tablets for the next 3 years.
    If the 4G Playbook was $350 off contract, I'd be all over that. I think $100 is a fair price for a 4G LTE chipset and slightly faster processor. If it dropped down to $100 on a 3 year contract I think they'd have no problems selling them at all.
    08-07-12 07:39 AM
    Again, I say that if you don't like rim's prices just wait a few months. The sales WILL suck, and with inventory climbing. They will be forced to come off their unreasonable expectations.

Besides... Be honest... This device will have bugs at launch and will take a few months of updates and public statements of tech advice to get them hashed out. You don't want to go through what we did on the wifi tablet launch. Give it 6 months.
    08-07-12 09:03 AM
    Again, I say that if you don't like rim's prices just wait a few months. The sales WILL suck, and with inventory climbing. They will be forced to come off their unreasonable expectations.

Besides... Be honest... This device will have bugs at launch and will take a few months of updates and public statements of tech advice to get them hashed out. You don't want to go through what we did on the wifi tablet launch. Give it 6 months.
    What, now you are treating the LTE Playbook as a brand new device and you speculate it would go through another wi-fi PB experience?

Sorry to disappoint you, Both wi-fi and LTE PBs will be running on the same software. I have tried the .668 upgrade and it is solid! The LTE PB is derisked by the wi-fi PB.

Just to give you a heads up so you don't have to think incorrectly that the BB10 phones will fail. BB10 phones are derisked by the LTE PB for its radio and faster CPU. A lot of QNX code are from the two PBs.

If you need a LTE tablet, you pay the current LTE tablet price which every other device I look at is more expensive than the PB.

If you don't need it, then wait. Price will come down but not for the reasons you stated but following the marketing force.
    08-07-12 12:51 PM
    IMO the PlayBook should be prices at around $399 (No contract). I do not think this is the ideal price for a PlayBook (what it deserves) but considering their market strength, the PlayBook needs to enter the market and get in hands of many consumers for it to gain momentum and appreciation. There is a vast market available for RIM to cater to, they are simply unaware of the PlayBook or inhibited towards taking the plunge. $399 surely might be tight on budget for RIM, but they have made a mistake and they have to pay the price.

On the plus, the 4G Network will enable RIM to bind many new customers, and upgrade existing customers to RIM NOC services, which will be a recurring income, gain for RIM. They have the existing infrastructure to support an additional device so this can offset the low pricing of the PlayBook without further network based investments.

If the pricing is right, it will help RIM to capture the Corporate/Business market justifying the statement of 'Professional Grade Tablet'.

The current price scheme of the PlayBook 4G is only justified if it was being sold with the BB10 Platform already. Until the availability of BB10, this is just another PlayBook running the same existing OS. RIM does not understand the word 'Incentive' which is key factor in expanding their market.
    app_Developer likes this.
    08-08-12 12:21 AM
    IMO the PlayBook should be prices at around $399 (No contract). I do not think this is the ideal price for a PlayBook (what it deserves) but considering their market strength, the PlayBook needs to enter the market and get in hands of many consumers for it to gain momentum and appreciation. There is a vast market available for RIM to cater to, they are simply unaware of the PlayBook or inhibited towards taking the plunge. $399 surely might be tight on budget for RIM, but they have made a mistake and they have to pay the price.

On the plus, the 4G Network will enable RIM to bind many new customers, and upgrade existing customers to RIM NOC services, which will be a recurring income, gain for RIM. They have the existing infrastructure to support an additional device so this can offset the low pricing of the PlayBook without further network based investments.

If the pricing is right, it will help RIM to capture the Corporate/Business market justifying the statement of 'Professional Grade Tablet'.

The current price scheme of the PlayBook 4G is only justified if it was being sold with the BB10 Platform already. Until the availability of BB10, this is just another PlayBook running the same existing OS. RIM does not understand the word 'Incentive' which is key factor in expanding their market.
    Makes no sense when every other LTE tablet is selling for $200 more from your suggested price.

It is a moot point as you can't buy it in the store and only through the carriers. So what really counts is the contract pricing. Will see it tomorrow.

I am guessing $250-$299 for a 3-yr contract.
    08-08-12 09:07 AM
    Don't buy one then it is as simple as that. Go complain about call of duty being 60 dollars every year even though last year's model is cheaper. Complain about how prices are cheaper on last year car models. Complain about older ipads and iphones being the same price. In today's day in age you got to pay to play and stuff isn't free or justified to what you want it to cost. I don't think apple products should be that expensive or games so high. People buy it and there's nothing more you can do then not purchase it.

Companies are out the make money and because you think it's not worth it to you its worth it to others. I paid 500$ for my 16gb and it doesn't bother me because I wanted it when I did.

/rant
    beavertail2 likes this.
    08-08-12 05:37 PM
    Makes no sense when every other LTE tablet is selling for $200 more from your suggested price.

It is a moot point as you can't buy it in the store and only through the carriers. So what really counts is the contract pricing. Will see it tomorrow.

I am guessing $250-$299 for a 3-yr contract.

No, there is really only one tablet that actually sells for $200 more. Until RIM puts a full sized screen on it and has the infrastructure, they won't sell anywhere near 17 million in a year, much less a quarter.

I want it with no contract. who the heck really wants another data contract, especially a three year one on a tablet ?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    08-08-12 06:00 PM
    Seriously... Do something about it.

Get on twitter to your carrier, whether its Telus or Rogers or Bell. Blast them

There is precedent with Rogers reducing the price of the 9900 at launch because of consumer backlash

Also, send your complaints to Blackberry themselves. Yes carriers control pricing, but, they do work together and Blackberry should have done a better job communicating ideal pricing with carriers.

Get on the boards and blast them.

This $350 on a 3 year is a slap to all of us Blackberry fanatics.

Yeah... I am pissed and I am not ashamed of it
    Wait, and it shall happen.
    08-08-12 07:09 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD