I wish nothing more than an update to bring them back to relevance along side my Z30.
    "Bringing it back to relevance" might be a bit much to ask, I'm afraid. Nothing short of a "Tablet OS 3.0" or a "BB10 (very very very very very very) Light" would really be able to accomplish that. And we all know: that's never going to happen.
    11-23-14 07:25 AM
    The same canned answer was posted in the forum last spring. I speculated that perhaps something might be released in the fall. My take on it is since PlyBook support ended last spring, so did any updates to canned answers.
    Oh...go sit on your can.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 07:56 AM
    I will believe it when I see it but that would be great. I have three of things now after deciding to double down in all things Blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 08:57 AM
    BlackBerry Playbook may have reached its end of life as most of you say.. Pssh humbug blah blah your in for a wake up call it seems you have a wrong translation just call it end of production. There is so many new in box surplus playbooks. Why should blackberry keep making them if they have so many left over that were never sold and still need to be sold, and what better way to get those sold?
    Well a new update of course I promise you this the playbook will keep marching into the tablet war the updates are going to keep rolling out for the time being, a huge surprise is coming before christmas my source inside blackberry actually my cousin who works for the magnificent company for nearly 11 years has told me OS 2.2.1200 will drop before santa leaves the north pole this christmas be ready to dust off those playbooks and time to throw those ridiculous Icrap pads in the trash all of you who are haters or the ones that got disappointed it didn't get the promised bb10 update.

New bells and whistles even nice 24k gold spinning "jelly bean" wheels are coming soon very soon
    It's going to be a berry merry christmas. QNX will show its mighty roar once more.
    I have no idea if that was supposed to be real, funny, both or none, but it sure sounded good in my head
    11-23-14 01:31 PM
    At this point, I could care less if BB10 comes to PlayBook. I'd be happy if they fixed the short comings with the current OS. Bring bb10 browser, android runtime for Amazon app store, sharing capabilities throughout all apps, the file manager from bb10,

Also make bridge for bb10 work the way it works for bb7. Maybe even some video sharing capabilities through bridge would be awesome.

Do this and do a fire sale ($199) on sitting inventory and it will sell.

Posted via CB10
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    11-23-14 01:53 PM
    In other words, bring an update to everything...

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 02:34 PM
    I shifted from Origami which had been so slower and irratic...to Fast Browser. what a difference. Much more user friendly tablet now!

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 02:35 PM
    I shifted from Origami which had been so slower and irratic...to Fast Browser. what a difference. Much more user friendly tablet now!

Posted via CB10
    Think So? I just end up going back to the stock browser. Neither Origami or Fast Browser were noticably better. Fast browser was the worst IMO.

Regarding this update, am I the only one who thinks they all sound iffy. Surely not, the email does sound canned and a bit of a fob of. The one saying it isn't happening just sounds wrong "not now, not ever" would someone at blackberry finish an email that way. As for the last one, I think there was plenty of tongue in cheek

Tye guy who's friend works there and hasn't heard anything is probably the most reasonable fact so far.

What would they gain now PR wise if they are keeping everything under wraps? Most people are shopping around for their next tablet at this time of year. If BB have any plans they should be singing it from the rooftops. but then again, they're not known for marketing so I suppose anything could happen.

Tapatalk On Blackberry PlayBook
    PlayBook UK likes this.
    11-23-14 03:09 PM
    Think So? I just end up going back to the stock browser. Neither Origami or Fast Browser were noticably better. Fast browser was the worst IMO.

Regarding this update, am I the only one who thinks they all sound iffy. Surely not, the email does sound canned and a bit of a fob of. The one saying it isn't happening just sounds wrong "not now, not ever" would someone at blackberry finish an email that way. As for the last one, I think there was plenty of tongue in cheek

Tye guy who's friend works there and hasn't heard anything is probably the most reasonable fact so far.

Sounds about the best summary of the situation so far. Dreamers, Cynics & Storytellers...

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    11-23-14 03:17 PM
    And there are some supposed BlackBerry supporters who come back to these threads just to **** people off, who are true supporters of the PlayBook, by showing off, thinking they know everything there is to know about BlackBerry, and they don't even work for the company.

I'll take THESE people with a grain of salt. Pity pity indeed.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 03:44 PM
    Why do I keep hoping for this to be true... All I really need is a working browser, and the ability to filter out all android apps from the store.
    11-23-14 04:05 PM
    Why do I keep hoping for this to be true... All I really need is a working browser, and the ability to filter out all android apps from the store.
    We are all hoping this is true. Every single one of us in these PlayBook forums that care about this device and how we can prolong it's usage.

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    PonyCrazyKid likes this.
    11-23-14 04:49 PM
    I think there's often too much made out from everything Chen says. I remember him saying once he didn't have a twitter account because people read too much into what he says. He says he loves his touch screen Blackberry and then it gets interpreted as he thinks keyboards are dead and all the keyboard fans get miffed. That sort of thing.

same happens here on the hunt for a headline. Chen only has to mention the word tablet and a load of blogs get pumped out saying Blackberry maybe looking to make another tablet. Then someone shares that, so on so forth and before you know where you're at He's getting a bad time over the tablet he never said he was going to make.

If someone asked me what type of tablet I would make I would tell them. Doesn't mean you can expect onr on tbe shelves next year.

11-23-14 05:09 PM
    Problem is however that mister Chen is in a position where he really should never resort to casual remarks. The fact that these might point the customers in the wrong direction isn't even the worst part, above all it is very bad business practice to make unsubstantiable claims. It hurts the company in the long run.
    11-23-14 06:40 PM
    It depends on your definition of casual remarks mate. The most innocent words can often get twisted beyond all recognition.
    I think Chen at the moment is keeping all his options open until he gets the model right for the business. I don't think he's found which parts could be profitable if they went about it differently.
    He gets an interview with someone who is looking for a headline and if he doesn't rule it out they twist it. Right now he doesn't seeming to be ruling anything out.

I'm just going off some of the interviews and speeches I've seen him do and seen the reaction on blogs,social media and all the various blackberry channels available. I've often seen the headline and thought, hold up, he never actually said it like that. It's often taken out of context.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 07:27 PM
    The last one was when asked if he would make another tablet he said if he did it would have to be something different, or words to that effect.

You guessed it, the blogs lit up with..
    Chen says they might make another tablet. Something special.

Before we know where we're at people in forums are starting to put an estimate on when it will be released and what specs people will think it'll have.

It's a dangerous game in the public spotlight.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 07:33 PM
    How 'special' would it be to retract broken promises Making BB10-esque on a PB would be uber special to a loyal customer/fan/consumer base. Making a PB work how it was meant to and sold as even this late in the game would be special. It would also provide the foundation of beta testing with a few million users for the chance another PB is coming.

Businesses need tablets, you cant use Z/Q/Passport sized touchscreens in a healthcare environment after all, screens need to be easily readable to a group of professionals at the same time, at the bedside. I'd bank on 8-9-10 " screens with detachable keyboards, office to bedside and back. Why research/start a beta tablet OS in-house with a small team when PB owners are your beta testers en masse & the OS already exists enough to tweak about for a general release by reinstating screen spec taking all the stuff out that is too resource hungry, the OS is less resource hungry with each build...because BB10 is a completely new OS, all the Z and Q models were betas.

Hopefully BB does drop a update, my new Nokia 6" mobile is shaming the PB with its Windows Phone 8 software, WP10 convergence is just going to eat away at Blackberry even more unless Chen gets BB10 on tablets and PC's.
    Last edited by Orange UK; 11-23-14 at 09:27 PM.
    11-23-14 09:17 PM
    How 'special' would it be to retract broken promises Making BB10-esque on a PB would be uber special to a loyal customer/fan/consumer base. Making a PB work how it was meant to and sold as even this late in the game would be special. It would also provide the foundation of beta testing with a few million users for the chance another PB is coming.

Businesses need tablets, you cant use Z/Q/Passport sized touchscreens in a healthcare environment after all, screens need to be easily readable to a group of professionals at the same time, at the bedside. I'd bank on 8-9-10 " screens with detachable keyboards, office to bedside and back. Why research/start a beta tablet OS in-house with a small team when PB owners are your beta testers en masse & the OS already exists enough to tweak about for a general release by reinstating screen spec taking all the stuff out that is too resource hungry, the OS is less resource hungry with each build...because BB10 is a completely new OS, all the Z and Q models were betas.

Hopefully BB does drop a update, my new Nokia 6" mobile is shaming the PB with its Windows Phone 8 software, WP10 convergence is just going to eat away at Blackberry even more unless Chen gets BB10 on tablets and PC's.
    There is not going to be another tablet. They tried the tablet avenue with the PlayBook and it nearly bankrupted the company. It didn't sell and they missed the train.

Now Chen is busy trying to restructure a business model based on devices (which are not selling enough in numbers) and BIS/BES subscriptions (which are dwindling and in case of BIS no longer needed) to something that he can make money with: BBM, BBM meetings, BES device management. He has no money to throw at a new tablet let alone a model already phased out, stock written off and no longer supported by blackberry or developers.

Trust me, as a playbook owner and someone who uses it daily I wouldn't want anything more than a OS update or a new tablet with BB10 but I think it's time to wake up and realise this is not going to happen.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 09:43 PM
    One never knows...

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 09:55 PM
    So... I should buy one?

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    11-24-14 02:10 AM
    The last one was when asked if he would make another tablet he said if he did it would have to be something different, or words to that effect.

You guessed it, the blogs lit up with..

Before we know where we're at people in forums are starting to put an estimate on when it will be released and what specs people will think it'll have.

It's a dangerous game in the public spotlight.
    Well I think Chen's most recent tablet remark was slightly more substantial than that: look here or here to name two examples.
    This isn't merely the forums blowing a story out of proportions. This is slightly bigger...
    11-24-14 02:45 AM
    The best update to my PlayBook is the wipe. I have done it recently and it's running fast like brand new. Just don't install any badly programmed apps which you would never use anyway and keep pnly only apps you need and all you guys will be fine. I'm using Playbook on daily basis...perfect commuting companion.
    Last edited by AladarMezga; 11-24-14 at 01:18 PM. Reason: typos
    Banco likes this.
    11-24-14 04:51 AM
    Sure...price is low. Build quality is high. Speakers for music is outstanding. There are workarounds to watch videos. Avoid lots of apps...esp the side loads as they clog the speed. use Fast Browser to speed up your Web reading. Kindle and Kobo work fine, so a quality e-reader. Some fun games are there. And the email function works. For the price, you're good. It's a decent tool for home and travel. Good companion to your smaller phone. BUT...it's not a iPad, it's not a Surface, it's not a Kindle Fire and it's not a Nexus or Note. Stronger than them in some categories, weaker in others. But overall, remember it's older technology with a bit of an erratic Operating System with its Android speed and has a very limited amount of apps. That said, if you are like me and just don't want to put that kind of money into one of those, nor want to live in those Ecosystems, then it works great. You have to know what you're getting.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 07:02 AM
    Sure...price is low. Build quality is high. Speakers for music is outstanding. There are workarounds to watch videos. Avoid lots of apps...esp the side loads as they clog the speed. use Fast Browser to speed up your Web reading. Kindle and Kobo work fine, so a quality e-reader. Some fun games are there. And the email function works. For the price, you're good. It's a decent tool for home and travel. Good companion to your smaller phone. BUT...it's not a iPad, it's not a Surface, it's not a Kindle Fire and it's not a Nexus or Note. Stronger than them in some categories, weaker in others. But overall, remember it's older technology with a bit of an erratic Operating System with its Android speed and has a very limited amount of apps. That said, if you are like me and just don't want to put that kind of money into one of those, nor want to live in those Ecosystems, then it works great. You have to know what you're getting.

Posted via CB10
    This is a post everyone should read if they are not a PlayBook owner and actually considering purchasing 1.
    PonyCrazyKid likes this.
    11-25-14 03:09 PM
    Nah, the truth is, you should get either the top end tablets or a hudl 2 or whatever they are called. Playbook is dead and people are only recommending it now out of blind love rather than solid reasoning.
    SomeoneOrOther likes this.
    11-25-14 03:55 PM
170 12345 ...