Please (insert deity of choice) and JC, just update the PlayBook Android Runtime and I'll be a very happy chappy.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 08:13 AM
    Please (insert deity of choice) and JC, just update the PlayBook Android Runtime and I'll be a very happy chappy.
    Might be a job for Santa, if he's listening (but you know he is...).
    axllebeer likes this.
    11-19-14 08:19 AM
    OP, BB support has always been contradictory.

For kicks, I wrote them and said I was having trouble sideloading an Android app and casually asked if there'd be any PB updates. Here's the reply:

Hello Marc,

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Technical Support.

Please be advised that Android Application is not compatible with the PlayBook, even if you are successful on side loading an app there is no assurance that it will work simply because it is not compatible and we no longer manufacture PlayBook so there will no Software update available for the PlayBook not now or in the near future.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Sincerely,

BlackBerry Technical Support
    Email: [email protected]
    Web: Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com
    11-20-14 05:54 AM
    OP, BB support has always been contradictory.

For kicks, I wrote them and said I was having trouble sideloading an Android app and casually asked if there'd be any PB updates. Here's the reply:

Hello Marc,

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Technical Support.

Please be advised that Android Application is not compatible with the PlayBook, even if you are successful on side loading an app there is no assurance that it will work simply because it is not compatible and we no longer manufacture PlayBook so there will no Software update available for the PlayBook not now or in the near future.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Sincerely,

BlackBerry Technical Support
    Email: [email protected]
    Web: Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com
    Interesting. Was this translated?
    11-20-14 07:25 AM
    BlackBerry Playbook may have reached its end of life as most of you say.. Pssh humbug blah blah your in for a wake up call it seems you have a wrong translation just call it end of production. There is so many new in box surplus playbooks. Why should blackberry keep making them if they have so many left over that were never sold and still need to be sold, and what better way to get those sold?
    Well a new update of course I promise you this the playbook will keep marching into the tablet war the updates are going to keep rolling out for the time being, a huge surprise is coming before christmas my source inside blackberry actually my cousin who works for the magnificent company for nearly 11 years has told me OS 2.2.1200 will drop before santa leaves the north pole this christmas be ready to dust off those playbooks and time to throw those ridiculous Icrap pads in the trash all of you who are haters or the ones that got disappointed it didn't get the promised bb10 update.

New bells and whistles even nice 24k gold spinning "jelly bean" wheels are coming soon very soon
    It's going to be a berry merry christmas. QNX will show its mighty roar once more.
    anon3923428 and PonyCrazyKid like this.
    11-20-14 09:39 PM
    BlackBerry Playbook may have reached its end of life as most of you say.. Pssh humbug blah blah your in for a wake up call it seems you have a wrong translation just call it end of production. There is so many new in box surplus playbooks. Why should blackberry keep making them if they have so many left over that were never sold and still need to be sold, and what better way to get those sold?
    Well a new update of course I promise you this the playbook will keep marching into the tablet war the updates are going to keep rolling out for the time being, a huge surprise is coming before christmas my source inside blackberry actually my cousin who works for the magnificent company for nearly 11 years has told me OS 2.2.1200 will drop before santa leaves the north pole this christmas be ready to dust off those playbooks and time to throw those ridiculous Icrap pads in the trash all of you who are haters or the ones that got disappointed it didn't get the promised bb10 update.

New bells and whistles even nice 24k gold spinning "jelly bean" wheels are coming soon very soon
    It's going to be a berry merry christmas. QNX will show its mighty roar once more.
    Great news!

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 07:20 AM
    Hoping the above news is accurate as I was just able to revive a previously no longer charging PlayBook. Keeping my fingers crossed. I'm hoping the PlayBook knows what its doing with its resurrection.
    11-21-14 08:21 AM
    i hope this is true....
    11-21-14 09:42 AM
    It would be a great Christmas gift! Not to mention getting those unsold PlayBooks into people's hands again. Fingers crossed.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 10:32 AM
    Still skeptical that bbrypbgod is playing a cruel joke on us....
    11-21-14 07:25 PM
    Hope not, either way, happy to have my PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    axllebeer likes this.
    11-21-14 07:53 PM
    "...the desktop browser/user agent options, you could try Origami browser."
    Looked at it but said no thanks due to the permissions it wanted !!
    11-22-14 12:42 AM
    Don't blame you.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 01:06 AM
    "...the desktop browser/user agent options, you could try Origami browser."
    Looked at it but said no thanks due to the permissions it wanted !!
    What permissions? Origami only asks for access to your files. Without such access, how would you ever upload anything to the net?
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    11-22-14 01:35 AM
    Well, the way I remember it playing out so far is TH saying we would get BB10 on the PB, no BB10 due to RAM issues, a small security/flash patch released that no one expected, someone saying support said we were getting BB10 (a small version), and a few weeks later the " official" no more OS2 support notice. Now the update rumors are replaying.
    It has definitely been a wild ride and I think I am getting a little sick...
    11-22-14 10:18 AM
    You all are going to be really disappointed when it's only a security update.
    11-22-14 10:35 AM
    You all are going to be really disappointed when it's only a security update.
    Well, I for one wouldn't be disappointed as the foreseeable end to the security patches/updates was in large part what made "us" protest the complete and utter EOL notice in the first place. This way Blackberry at least would fulfill part of the promises never made...
    axllebeer likes this.
    11-22-14 10:40 AM
    Agreed.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 11:04 AM
    Well, the way I remember it playing out so far is TH saying we would get BB10 on the PB, no BB10 due to RAM issues, a small security/flash patch released that no one expected, someone saying support said we were getting BB10 (a small version), and a few weeks later the " official" no more OS2 support notice. Now the update rumors are replaying.
    It has definitely been a wild ride and I think I am getting a little sick...
    I can understand your position on being sick of it already. I've been a PlayBook owner from the beginning, but I'm always holding onto hope.
    11-22-14 05:53 PM
    The same canned answer was posted in the forum last spring. I speculated that perhaps something might be released in the fall. My take on it is since PlyBook support ended last spring, so did any updates to canned answers.
    11-22-14 05:58 PM
    Well, I for one wouldn't be disappointed as the foreseeable end to the security patches/updates was in large part what made "us" protest the complete and utter EOL notice in the first place. This way Blackberry at least would fulfill part of the promises never made...
    Exactly. Well said.
    11-22-14 07:15 PM
    As someone who recently signed up for and has used BBM Meetings. I really hope they bring out some sort of app that makes it possible for a PlayBook owner to participate.
    11-22-14 07:50 PM
    Maybe the petition was acknowledged but not replied to. No promises made this time since the 'BB10 on the PlayBook' let down. If the approach from BlackBerry to the petition was 'see what we can do' then just maybe we are getting some updates.

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    11-23-14 04:23 AM
    Personally I don't think the petition was "quietly" acknowledged. As they weren't forced into making hard promises, a simple "nod" in the general direction of the petition would have been initial acknowledgement enough. This would have been easy & cheap PR and the fact that they never got around to it, however vague their response might have been, doesn't say a lot (of positive things) about the way they view their customers. But hey, we figured that one out by ourselves already, or didn't we?
    11-23-14 06:49 AM
    As a dual PlayBook owner, I wish nothing more than an update to bring them back to relevance along side my Z30. That said, I too have a friend who works at BlackBerry in the application testing department and he's not heard of any new update coming. I'd think that if there was one that close to release, it would need to come across his desk to have basic apps tested for compatability etc., but nothing is being discussed internally... around him anyway.

I really hope I'm wrong and that my friend is just not informed, but my gut is telling me this is someone batting us

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 07:06 AM
170 1234 ...