Here is an email I just got tonight from BlackBerry...

I kept out the name of the support worker, for obvious reasons.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Technical Support.

I appreciate your response.

Regarding updates, our developers are still working on the updates regarding BlackBerry PlayBook Operating System.

Once update is available, we will definitely inform all BlackBerry users.

I would like to thank you for the feed back and I will forward it to our developers.

If you require further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you again for contacting us.

Sincerely,

BlackBerry Technical Support
    BlackBerry
    Tel:
    �NA Toll Free: 1-877-255-2377
    �UK Toll Free: 0808 100 7466
    �Europe: +44 1753 558400
    �Worldwide: +1-647-426-1108
    Email: [email protected]
    Web: Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com

Are you ready for BlackBerry 10?
    BlackBerry 10 - BlackBerry Q5, BlackBerry Q10 & BlackBerry Z10 - Global

So, hopefully something very promising is on the way, or currently underway. Hopefully, a similar functioning OS to BB10 is in the works.

Posted via CB10
    BallRockReaper likes this.
    11-16-14 04:37 PM
    I won't be too excited for another update. It might address security issues and a few other things under the hood, but it won't be significant enough to change the overall experience on the PB.
    11-16-14 04:55 PM
    One can never tell. Especially since John Chen is running the show now. I also see someone else's post on here of another tablet in the works...

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 04:56 PM
    The updates being referred to in the email could just be security updates as nothing specific was really stated. I'm always hopeful for more and if it should happen I'll take the PlayBooks back from the kids.
    jkomo001 and jtv1 like this.
    11-16-14 10:59 PM
    Hopefully it will fix the bridging issues I have been experiencing with my Passport lately!

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.1016
    11-16-14 11:03 PM
    Shucks, now I have to unearth and dust off my enthusiasm for this. Now where did I put my shovel?
    Finding where I put the PB itself might be helpful also...
    11-17-14 08:43 AM
    There's always hope guys. Hopefully the new CEO will fix our Playbooks, to correct the wrong done in the past.

Posted via CB10
    jtv1 likes this.
    11-17-14 08:47 AM
    I would be shocked to see a PB update of any significance. I think at this point it would be a mistake. Time to leave the PB in the past and move on.
    ricocan likes this.
    11-17-14 08:54 AM
    Wow! I need to hurry and locate my grandmother's butter churn and my grandfather's forge immediately. What do you bet updates are coming any minute now! Ha ha! Just joshin' with you. I can't live without my three PBs, but they are ancient and BB owes us nothing. Use them until they breath no more and look to the future for some kind of replacement. I can say that I use my PBs less for some things since my Z10. I never thought I would say that, but it is fast and already in my hand. For other things, I worry because so far there is nothing out there that is comparable.
    Steve Pohorly and jtv1 like this.
    11-17-14 09:06 AM
    I would be shocked to see a PB update of any significance. I think at this point it would be a mistake. Time to leave the PB in the past and move on.
    I don't really see how it could in any way be a mistake. But I don't believe it will happen.
    11-17-14 09:26 AM
    I don't really see how it could in any way be a mistake. But I don't believe it will happen.
    They would be opening up an old wound that is only now starting to fade. And if we are to believe everything we hear, then bb10 would not work well or would be compromised with 1GB of ram. My PB is also acting up HW wise. It doesn't charge powered down. I can only imagine how many viable pb's are left out in the wild to actually make an update worthwhile.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 09:35 AM
    Let's not make this into yet another installment of the ongoing feud between the "PB dreamers" and the "PB realists". I doubt an update will materialize, but if it does "cheers all around", if it doesn't, "no harm done" either.Either way: it won't hurt anybody, if they were to release it or not. Blackberry could, however, always write it off as some much-needed positive PR.
    11-17-14 10:05 AM
    Ya never know at this point. With the new heavy enterprise focus happening.

The PlayBook still provides what could be a valued encrypted tablet style tool that is about as uncrackable as anything still available today.

I won't be too excited for another update. It might address security issues and a few other things under the hood, but it won't be significant enough to change the overall experience on the PB.
    jtv1 likes this.
    11-17-14 04:41 PM
    Hope it's not false hope
    11-17-14 08:21 PM
    Something to think about.

BlackBerry is removing flash support from BB10, likely due to licensing costs. If they did a major overhaul of the PlayBook OS, they'd very likely have to purchase licenses from Adobe to keep flash on. Is BlackBerry going to spend money on a tablet they're not obtaining revenue from? My guess is no. Therefore, I almost hope BlackBerry doesn't update the PlayBook, because I'd rather not lose flash on it.
    jtv1 likes this.
    11-17-14 08:32 PM
    Hope it's not false hope
    It's a generic, canned response. Go ahead and inquire yourself, you'll likely get the same answer.
    CairnsRock, axllebeer and mrfreeze like this.
    11-17-14 09:05 PM
    It's a generic, canned response. Go ahead and inquire yourself, you'll likely get the same answer.
    As much as I'm not pleased by this response, I'm sure of all the people in this thread, you would know a canned response when you read one. And for that I thank you for not letting me get my hopes up. Thought they weren't that high from the start.
    11-17-14 09:26 PM
    It's to remove flash

I love the hidden Squircle.
    11-17-14 09:30 PM
    It's to remove flash

I love the hidden Squircle.
    Then I'll have to remember not to upgrade if it happens.

Either way, Save the PlayBook!
    C000EAA94
    Last edited by axllebeer; 11-17-14 at 09:52 PM.
    11-17-14 09:38 PM
    The
    Plan Book Tablet has a great GPS built in. Owning three I use one as a nautical chart plotter for my boat.
    jtv1 likes this.
    11-17-14 10:03 PM
    I reluctantly agree, but your logic is flawed. If this story were to be true and it weren't a canned response, you'd get the same response from inquiring yourself as well. Ergo: inquiring yourself wouldn't lessen the confusion either way.
    11-18-14 04:27 AM
    The only update that I need for my PlayBook is to the Web browser. Increase HTML-5 support and provide an option to make it appear (to Web sites - esp Google) as a desktop browser. Sure there are lots of other things that could be improved, but the browser is my biggest annoyance at this time.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10.
    11-19-14 05:29 AM
    The only update that I need for my PlayBook is to the Web browser. Increase HTML-5 support and provide an option to make it appear (to Web sites - esp Google) as a desktop browser. Sure there are lots of other things that could be improved, but the browser is my biggest annoyance at this time.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10.
    For the desktop browser/user agent options, you could try Origami browser.
    11-19-14 06:09 AM
    Origami would need an update also, last time I checked.
    Maybe we - as a community - shouldn't have scared off all potential developers back in the day...
    FoxxBerry likes this.
    11-19-14 07:13 AM
    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''':: :':::::,

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 07:18 AM
170 123 ...