View Poll Results: Dolphin or native

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dolphin

9 6.34%
  • Native

133 93.66%
    SimpleBrowser+ From HaTaX is the bomb.. Native website engine with full Flash, but add in manageable bookmarks and ad block list capabilities.. Love it!
    Hgouck likes this.
    04-06-12 02:41 PM
    Why use one or the other, when you can use both at the same time? That's the Playbook advantage.

I like them both. Native works a little faster, while dolphin has a better UI and allows me to sync my bookmarks with my android phone.
    04-06-12 02:47 PM
    I donot like anything other than Opera Mini, android bb(not on playbook yet) or watever. But on Playbook native browser is quite good.
    04-06-12 03:52 PM
    Isn't Dolphin that KDE browser?
    04-06-12 06:22 PM
    Native, dolphin is just repackaged from Android. This means it will never be as fast...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using the CrackBerry Forums Application
    04-07-12 08:08 AM
    Is it possible to install the Dolphin add ons on PB? I haven't really looked into that feature very much, but I think they are distributed as APKs? In that case, do you just convert and sideload them to add them? I'll have to have a play with that. EDIT: Just tried that, didn't seem to work. I'll keep fiddling and see if I can find a way...

Anyway, at the moment I prefer Native browser as it's faster and looks nicer in my opinion, but with add ons (and themes), Dolphin may gain the edge. It seems reasonably stable etc. from my limited testing. Plus stuff like bookmark organisation and user agent changing is nice. And if I get an Android phone (which I am thinking I might), it'll be nice to be able to sync bookmarks with that. Certainly the browser of choice for any Android apps that prompt to open a browser.

EDIT: Managed to get the Box add on to install by restarting the PB and then sideloading the converted APK before launching Dolphin for the first time after reboot. The same method didn't work for an AdBlock Plus add on I found. I'll look again and see if I can find another APK for that one. The Box add on that did install didn't really work properly, wouldn't upload files.
    Last edited by SifJar; 04-07-12 at 10:46 AM.
    04-07-12 09:52 AM
    btw,is dolphin improved recently or not? I installed it when it is just released and then my PB show black screen. I had to restart pb and deleted dolphin.is this still the case?
    04-07-12 09:52 AM
    btw,is dolphin improved recently or not? I installed it when it is just released and then my PB show black screen. I had to restart pb and deleted dolphin.is this still the case?
    Seems fairly stable to me.
    04-07-12 10:17 AM
    Exactly, lets get this back to discussing browsers. Anyone else tried getting add ons working in Dolphin? I've got a few more converted to try later, but I don't want to restart my PB right now. Is there anyone else that has had luck with any add ons so I'll maybe know which ones work? (Maybe I'll start a thread with converted add ons and a compatibility list).
    04-07-12 11:53 AM
    After 3 hrs use I had to delete dolphin,not my cuppa tea,I had it on desktop mode,what do youse have it for?
    And as I have seen people are making other suggestions like 'simple browser' sorry I didn't think I originally just wanted native v dolphin forum but what pleases you'se pleases me
    04-07-12 11:59 AM
    After 3 hrs use I had to delete dolphin,not my cuppa tea,I had it on desktop mode,what do youse have it for?
    And as I have seen people are making other suggestions like 'simple browser' sorry I didn't think I originally just wanted native v dolphin forum but what pleases you'se pleases me
    Thanks for tolerant lol

Simplebrower+ might be ok. I won't clal simplebrower(free one) a browser.it is the first time for me there is a browser without bookmark
    04-07-12 12:03 PM
    I would like the chrome ui on the native tho,but I like the native performance
    04-07-12 12:08 PM
    Decided to do a speed test comparison of Dolphin v Native, huge difference as you can see in the attached images . These were done within minutes of each other.

(Took a few minutes to find a non-Flash speed test first)

EDIT: Downloaded SimpleBrowser and Maxthon, will test them now.

EDIT: Added SimpleBrowser and Maxthon, replaced Dolphin and Native with new screenshots of tests taken at same time as SB and Maxthon.

(SB is first screenshot, then Maxthon, then Dolphin, then Native - as you can see, SB is the fastest. It is probably actually not faster than Native, I'd guess with such a small difference it was just fluctuations. SB seems like a nice enough browser, may play with it a bit more. Will probably delete Maxthon)
    Last edited by SifJar; 04-07-12 at 12:42 PM.
    Sergeant HCR likes this.
    04-07-12 12:29 PM
    Native PB Browser > Dolphin > Native Android browser

I use Dolphin on my Android, it's way better than the awful Android native browser, but the native PB browser is faster and smoother than both
    04-07-12 01:32 PM
    I tried Dolphin for a day....deleted it and never looked back. Native for now, works pretty good.
    04-07-12 01:49 PM
    I have never used dolphin but I can recommend SimpleBrowser+. Works great and you can manage your bookmarks as well as change how the Internet sees your playbook. Whether fire fox,IE, and others. Mostly I uses the native browser and instead of bookmarking I save them to my home page. Name them what I want. Then move them into a folder labeled Bookmarks. Works for me.
    04-07-12 04:01 PM
    I have never used dolphin but I can recommend SimpleBrowser+. Works great and you can manage your bookmarks as well as change how the Internet sees your playbook. Whether fire fox,IE, and others. Mostly I uses the native browser and instead of bookmarking I save them to my home page. Name them what I want. Then move them into a folder labeled Bookmarks. Works for me.
    I haven't forked out for SimpleBrowser+ (yet), but I do quite like the free version. But I am torn between it and Secure Browser. Seeing as they both cost money, I only really want to get one or the other, and I think I'm leaning towards toward Simple, because I think it has ad blocking which I don't think Secure has. Is this right? (Obviously anyone can answer this, not directed solely as Hgouck ) Is there a detailed comparison of Secure vs Simple anywhere?
    04-07-12 06:27 PM
    than Secure - I particularly like the ad-blocks (and you can add your own lists too). It also let's you manage/edit and move bookmarks. One thing I don't like is that even though there is a drop-down list to change font size it does not work at all well (I think it does not override the web site settings).

And, it has not been updated for a long while - the developer keeps promising updates but somehow they never come. For a paid app (although it is certainly cheap enough) I expect at least bug-fixes and some updates!

However I still; use it 'cause it is hands-down better than the PB browser.
    04-07-12 07:08 PM
    I use Simplebrowser+ and quite like it aside from the occasional bug.

However, I would use a native Dolphin browser for sure. The gesture based UI is just right for the pb.
    04-07-12 09:59 PM
    I have used Simple, Dolphin and Maxthon, for me native browser is the smoothest and the best although it does notgive you lots of options.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    04-07-12 10:18 PM
    Native PB Browser > Dolphin > Native Android browser

I use Dolphin on my Android, it's way better than the awful Android native browser, but the native PB browser is faster and smoother than both
    What is the basis for this ranking?
    04-08-12 12:38 AM
    i use the native pb browser however is the people that developed dolphin ever make an actual pb app instead of android port i would switch in a heart beat

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using The Official CrackBerry App
    04-08-12 12:49 AM
    SimpleBrowser+ is my favorite browser. It has the performance of the native browser but it has the option to change user agent string and a fully chromeless UI.
    04-08-12 01:19 AM
    I like the native but I prefer the features of dolphin! The best for me would be a native dolphin! That would be awesome!
    04-08-12 08:38 AM
    I am skeptical of a native version solving anything because I still don't see any improvements where dolphin IS native - on android. I tested out dolphin months ago and found it to be slow and buggy. After recent claims of speed improvements I tried it again yesterday and didn't notice much. It was a little better, however it still lagged behind stock. So I looked for some reports on more recent hardware than mine and saw speed and performance complaints from users with the new Nexus and Note devices. More info can be found for yourself with a little bit of effort and a search engine.

Dolphin came under heavy fire in October for security / privacy holes. That was fixed, however there have continued to be other security holes found in browser plugins since then. One example was found with LastPass near the end of december.
    04-08-12 09:26 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD