Hi guys, before I start I will own up, I have a HP touchpad; running cm9 (awesome tech for the price), a galaxy tab 7.7 3g ( beautiful in every respect);AND my 16gb Playbook which I not only like but use ( mostly use for work as its almost unbreakable) ....
    Now to my point, you guys who use this forum are as patient and loyal as any fan boys/girls on the web but I think RIM owes you BiG time for all times they promised this or that and delievered either nothing or next to nothing.
    My suggestion is they unlock the boot loader ( like HP did with touch pad) this gives you awesome people who paid top dollar the chance to continue to enjoy qnx aswell as the android 4.0/4.1......... BUT we don't need it MR TROLL, well for you that's cool, but why not give people the choice.

My 2 cents.
    Last edited by gingerdude; 07-08-12 at 11:17 AM.
    07-08-12 11:02 AM
    One of the main selling points of RIM is security... The reason the bootloader is locked is to keep people out of the OS..... For corporations and business users this is a must.......
    Iti is what RIM put their reputation on..... Sort if cutting off your nose to spite your space.....
    Not even sure they could unlock the bootloader without a Rom replacement ala XBox 360.....

I too have CM9 on HPtouchpad..... Technically it is a marvel of programming, however it is still incomplete.... Knowing how many users can be... this would quickly become RIM's issue.....
    cdelcampo216 and bungaboy like this.
    07-08-12 11:35 AM
    If you want a 7" tablet running Android 4.1, just get a Nexus 7 before Apple bans it for having a touch screen.
    07-08-12 11:47 AM
    I understand RIM would not want to do this but with playbook a sold at cost product with no chance of re gaining lost ground, If it could be done the stock they have left sitting in storage would fly off the shelves like the touchpad did one year ago. I know how it is on here i have read countless threads where the loyal users flame people like me BUT the pre/webos crew would have done the same just before the hp fire sale but how may would now not want the choice to dual boot OR maybe tripleboot windows 8rt in a few months time??
    07-08-12 11:58 AM
    I don't understand the obssession with putting an inferior OS like Android on the PB. The current PB OS is rock solid, and as of version 2.1, actually runs many Android apps better than Android. I'm not sure I'd want to taint the PB's stellar reputation for robustness and security by saddling it with a warmed over version of forked Linux.

RCK
    Last edited by rkennedy01; 07-08-12 at 12:42 PM.
    alan510, KOOLWATER, erhan8 and 3 others like this.
    07-08-12 12:38 PM
    I don't think people who say they don't need it are necessarily trolls - perhaps they did their homework and knew what they were getting. I bought mine with my eyes wide open and my pb does everything I need it to do at this point. And you're absolutely right, that's fine for me. I can't imagine RIM unlocking anything as they are very focused on security but hey, if you can talk them into it, have at it.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    07-08-12 01:23 PM
    I say if/when RIM goes under and there is zero support for PBOS then I hope RIM will do something to make this possible. Until then they can't.
    louzer likes this.
    07-08-12 02:11 PM
    I say if/when RIM goes under and there is zero support for PBOS then I hope RIM will do something to make this possible. Until then they can't.
    I'm sure if that happens the next dingleberry type app will work because RIM won't be around to patch it. Somebody out there will bring it to fruition.
    07-08-12 03:38 PM
    One of the main selling points of RIM is security... The reason the bootloader is locked is to keep people out of the OS..... For corporations and business users this is a must.......
    Iti is what RIM put their reputation on..... Sort if cutting off your nose to spite your space.....
    Not even sure they could unlock the bootloader without a Rom replacement ala XBox 360.....

I too have CM9 on HPtouchpad..... Technically it is a marvel of programming, however it is still incomplete.... Knowing how many users can be... this would quickly become RIM's issue.....
    You're exactly right. If bootloader were unlocked, the PB would no longer be usable in my company, as well as any company where security is a priority. There are tradeoffs with the target market of any device, and BBs, as well as the PB, working in an Enterprise environment, is still considered the most secure platform available for mobile communications. If RIM sacrifices that for more sales, they'll actually lose in the end.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    07-08-12 05:09 PM
    How about a discount on the next PlayBook or on BB10 or something for my loyalty. Sorry I'm still mad about BB10 delay. I would settle for RIM just getting better if that is still possible.
    07-08-12 05:15 PM
    My suggestion is they unlock the boot loader ( like HP did with touch pad) this gives you awesome people who paid top dollar the chance to continue to enjoy qnx aswell as the android 4.0/4.1......... BUT we don't need it MR TROLL, well for you that's cool, but why not give people the choice.
    Simple answer. Neither RIM nor PB is as dead as the trolls would like to make everyone believe, and it is the only current tablet commercially available with FIPS certification for the software. Allowing an alternate boot loader would *immediately* void the certification and anger RIM's largest customer.
    bungaboy, Eli Bret, erhan8 and 1 others like this.
    07-08-12 06:17 PM
    I purchase bb products for their reputable security system. If people want android they should buy android. To me the most important asset to a system is the security.
    bungaboy and bbfan1040 like this.
    07-08-12 09:00 PM
    I too own a 32 GB HP Touchpad but don't feel the need to set it up with Android at this time. I'm not sure what all the reasons for HP open sourcing webOS were or what they figure it is costing them but part of it must have been to quell the uproar and bad community relations that Leo generated. BB is not in the same position now with still ongoing plans and a software package that seems to have many uses. From my viewpoint they are doing the right thing by not giving away the store.
    07-08-12 09:45 PM
    Even the guys on the most recent Android Central podcast are recommending that people not root their phones because, as they state, it's no longer really necessary.
    07-08-12 10:05 PM
    This would be stupid the playbook is a lot smoother to me then ics. and I like the way it works now, something different and more stable love my playbook
    07-08-12 11:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD