Many have predicted also the death of the blu-ray in 3 years or so, and this, 5 years ago.

Honestly, if my smartphone's screen can be stretched when needed, I will agree with this prediction. If not, then, I don't see myself killing my eyes on those tiny screens.
    04-30-13 03:40 PM
    "Thorsten Heins, President of Mobile Phones within Siemens mobile, commented: “The SK65 is an ingenious all-in-one solution for business professionals that need to stay in control and informed wherever they travel. With a full set of messaging features it means you have more flexibility about where and when you work. Additionally, we have designed the SK65 to offer a contemporary, yet timeless design for professionals who expect outstanding quality in looks and performance.” From the launch of the SK65 and the announcement of the SK65.
    Its good to see that Thorsten has first hand knowledge of how licensing works especially since the SK65 was a compromise device that never really caught on."

He seems to have a habit of doing that doesn't he?
    04-30-13 03:54 PM
    It's not that tablets will disappear. It's that tablets as we know them today will disappear. QNX will make this happen. It will happen very similar to Bridge: turn it on and most everything on your phone will show up on your tablet, eliminating the need to setup your accounts on more than one device. Expanding on that: the "tablet" of the future may have it's own guts, but the phone(at least a QNX phone) will be able to offload some of it's processing to the "tablet" via distributed processing(which, as far as I know, no other mobile OS has the architecture for). Imagine: the phone apps can run on the tablet and their processing is being done on the phone and the tablet apps are being processed on the tablet, while both being displayed at the same time. Check out this white paper on distributed processing if you're unsure what it is: An Introduction to QNX Transparent Distributed Processing

I think with things like this the future will look very different for tablets and phone as we see it today. It's not going to just be view ports. Right now we have two distinct entities, a phone and a tablet. The future will be as if the two devices are one. If it was just a view port for a phone why not push a bunch of displays now, we can already connected via HDMI right? The PadPhone wasn't exactly selling like hotcakes(from what I have heard anyway) and that's what most people are envisioning. I postulate the future will be very different and BlackBerry has something cooking in their labs that's going to blow us away.

I couldn't agree more. Integration between different devices/tools that are better suited for a particular job, function or personal preference is the way it is going. Why have 4 or 5 different devices that need to be setup with all the social and email accounts, etc that everyone seems to have these days. One main device to have the personal accounts, files and apps needed and share the info and computing power to other devices whether they are watches, glasses, tablets, tvs, vehicle displays, office projectors, etc. A true personal and mobile computing experience is where we will be in the near future.
    04-30-13 03:57 PM
    I couldn't agree more. Integration between different devices/tools that are better suited for a particular job, function or personal preference is the way it is going. Why have 4 or 5 different devices that need to be setup with all the social and email accounts, etc that everyone seems to have these days. One main device to have the personal accounts, files and apps needed and share the info and computing power to other devices whether they are watches, glasses, tablets, tvs, vehicle displays, office projectors, etc. A true personal and mobile computing experience is where we will be in the near future.
    But wouldn't that mean having a truly open platform?
    04-30-13 04:10 PM
    I can see where this is all heading to....BB vision is that your phone is the ultimate computer that you only need.

The next upgrade for playbook will simply be the ability to "mirror" the bb10 phone - so one can hook up a z10 to the playbook and watch movies, browse internet etc on the playbook.

They may start selling blackberry screens which one can hook up your bb10 phones to. Blackberry cars etc
    04-30-13 04:15 PM
    Not neccesarily an open platform needed. With qnx and bb10 from how I understand it, the os allows access and permission to certain functions and input/out modules. The os could simlly grant permission of data, processor power,ram memory, etc to certain apps to allow the wearable or extended devices to run as one with your smart phone. Similar to Bridge but the two devices would work as one once connected.
    04-30-13 05:00 PM
    There is a train of thought that says that ANY publicity is good publicity? I've never subscribed to that view personally but some do, mainly thespians and politicians both of which species are never to be trusted. It is not usual however for a so called business astute (I'm joking with that) CEO to flap his lips in the same way especially when talking about technology which I'm afraid he demonstrates his total lack of knowledge about everyone he opens his mouth, just to attract publicity!.
    Now where did I say that any publicity is " good publicity". But since what he said is not criminal or unethical maybe it isn't automatically bad publicity. Where you put "everyone" did you mean every time?
    04-30-13 06:07 PM
    But wouldn't that mean having a truly open platform?
    Not if you are Apple. By the way what was the date of that Thorsten Siemens quote?
    04-30-13 06:11 PM
    I think it's smart to stay out of the tablet game unless there is truly some value added.. and BB10 alone is not it. As it is right now, tablets are just a race to the bottom in terms of pricing, with little to differentiate themselves. That's not a market BB should be in, because profits will be fleeting.

Smartphones aren't really a market BB should be in, either. Any company that relies on hardware sales as vital to its survival should rethink their strategy. Hardware always trends towards commoditization and all the profit inevitably gets squeezed out, unless you're the Chinese or Mexican company manufacturing that hardware.

Hopefully BB has a better future in mind.. I suppose the question is this: does BB fancy itself as merely a player in the consumer electronics business, or does it have a more far-reaching plan in mind? Is it going to be around in 50 years like IBM, or is it going to end up another footnote in history like so many other companies who once were great but soon became an also-ran?
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    04-30-13 06:36 PM
    In 5 years a lot can change in tech. Maybe laptops and tablets as we know them won't exist, but what would take their place? Not a smart phone.

I would go, mad doing all my computing on a four inch screen.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    Tim1131 likes this.
    04-30-13 06:50 PM
    No, it doesn't look good for Thorsten Heins He really should stop slagging competitors and markets when his own company is floundering.

Anyway, my take on the mobile computing dream has nothing to do with QNX. You don't need some fancy QNX distributed processing nonsense or a super-smartphone which acts as the main computer in your life... if you lose the damn thing, you're screwed.

I keep thinking back to a scene in Minority Report where a guy "throws" an image from a tablet onto a display table. We can't do that now because smartphones, tablets, laptops and PCs are all designed as standalone devices with not much interoperability. We need a way of sharing data, applications and program states easily across platforms online and offline. For example, I can start a browser session on my phone, tap my phone to my tablet and have the same session appear there. Cloud storage would allow me to access my data across all platforms.

If I need to do some heavy number-crunching, for example doing CAD, I can start the session on a workstation with 64 cores and 1 TB of RAM (5 years from now ). I can then go out and continue the session on a tablet while the actual heavy lifting is done by the workstation. NVIDIA are selling 3D cloud virtual servers where multiple users have access to the workstation graphics hardware no matter where they are or what device they use, as long as they have a fast network connection.

The future will be a mix of smart terminals sharing data and program states over the Internet and using short-range protocols, and remote desktops for enterprise and processing intensive tasks. The low cost and increasing performance of mobile SoCs means smartphones, tablets, goggles, smart watches etc. should have a decent amount of processing power to do a lot of offline tasks. There will always be room for different device form factors because screen size will continue to be a limitation - you don't want to read on a watch or use a smartphone to edit a movie.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-30-13 07:59 PM
    i guess it never occurred to anyone that the emperor has no clothes and Thorsten Heins really hasn't got a clue. I suspect in five years tablets will still be around, BlackBerry will be a 'small' smartphone company and Thor will be history.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-30-13 10:57 PM
    I use the Z10 more and PB less. But I still need the screen for many tasks.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-30-13 11:38 PM
    Tablets are seen as having mobility within household, has millions of apps to download, and doesn't need a pc to make it work.

The next PB might disappoint a lot of people.

Anyways, laptops are getting smaller while retaining huge performance advantage and phones are getting bigger while retaining pocketability.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk
    05-01-13 12:00 AM
    Ok this is fine but GET ME BLACKBERRY 10 FOR PLAYBOOK, IMMEDIATELY
    05-01-13 01:41 AM
    "...so do we, the PlayBook users..." what? We agree? We're doomed? What?
    Well, as much as you wish and others too (that's I guess the reason why we are still visiting this forum), our PlayBook's fate and future is not really in our hand... we bought it but we really never owned it... like all devices... unless, the manufacturer open its "boot loader" (or something like that) that will give us an option to install different OS...

Posted via Z10
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-01-13 02:02 AM
    No, it doesn't look good for Thorsten Heins He really should stop slagging competitors and markets when his own company is floundering.

Anyway, my take on the mobile computing dream has nothing to do with QNX. You don't need some fancy QNX distributed processing nonsense or a super-smartphone which acts as the main computer in your life... if you lose the damn thing, you're screwed.

I keep thinking back to a scene in Minority Report where a guy "throws" an image from a tablet onto a display table. We can't do that now because smartphones, tablets, laptops and PCs are all designed as standalone devices with not much interoperability. We need a way of sharing data, applications and program states easily across platforms online and offline. For example, I can start a browser session on my phone, tap my phone to my tablet and have the same session appear there. Cloud storage would allow me to access my data across all platforms.

If I need to do some heavy number-crunching, for example doing CAD, I can start the session on a workstation with 64 cores and 1 TB of RAM (5 years from now ). I can then go out and continue the session on a tablet while the actual heavy lifting is done by the workstation. NVIDIA are selling 3D cloud virtual servers where multiple users have access to the workstation graphics hardware no matter where they are or what device they use, as long as they have a fast network connection.

The future will be a mix of smart terminals sharing data and program states over the Internet and using short-range protocols, and remote desktops for enterprise and processing intensive tasks. The low cost and increasing performance of mobile SoCs means smartphones, tablets, goggles, smart watches etc. should have a decent amount of processing power to do a lot of offline tasks. There will always be room for different device form factors because screen size will continue to be a limitation - you don't want to read on a watch or use a smartphone to edit a movie.
    You've been watching too many 'Iron Man' movies?
    05-02-13 07:56 AM
    - Jarvis, can you tell me the position of my BlackBerry shares right now?
    - Sorry sir, the BlackBerry name is no more. They are now called Research In Bowel Motion.

Maybe Thorsten Heins needs more fiber to speed up his research
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-02-13 08:19 AM
    - Jarvis, can you tell me the position of my BlackBerry shares right now?
    - Sorry sir, the BlackBerry name is no more. They are now called Research In Bowel Motion.

Maybe Thorsten Heins needs more fiber to speed up his research
    Careful now, I can hear the vultures gathering in the trees. By the way on a lighter note did you know that the starship Enterprise was made by Thor when he worked for Siemens? Just thought I'd share that with you.
    05-02-13 08:43 AM
    May 15th. Os10 is allready working on playbook but i think there are some issues

Posted via CB10
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-02-13 09:01 AM
    Ok this is fine but GET ME BLACKBERRY 10 FOR PLAYBOOK, IMMEDIATELY
    My friends, simply read my signature... It says it all....
    05-02-13 09:03 AM
    May 15th. Os10 is allready working on playbook but i think there are some issues

Posted via CB10
    Now that's funny, very very funny! Thank you for cheering me up!
    05-02-13 09:13 AM

Posted via CB10
    I probably missed it... which planet again?

Posted via Z10
    05-02-13 09:34 AM
    May 15th, 2015!
    05-02-13 09:39 AM
    He can say all he likes, so long as he puts bb10 onto the playbook!
    05-02-13 09:41 AM
72 123