View Poll Results: Does your PB have a dead pixel(s)?

Voters
427. You may not vote on this poll
  • My Playbook has never had a dead pixel.

301 70.49%
  • My Playbook had a dead pixel(s) but it/they went away.

12 2.81%
  • My Playbook has one or two dead pixels.

86 20.14%
  • My Playbook has multiple dead pixels.

28 6.56%
    Where is everybody exchanging these playbooks? I bought one on Monday and when i boot up the black screen i have lots of green, red and white dots at the top of my screen and when i run the tester to black get the same. But currys shop insist its not dead pixels and wont do anything??
    I opened 3 playbooks all has the similar issues as yours. returned to BestBuy.
    12-30-11 08:26 PM
    Nope! My Playbook has a beautiful screen. This is a replacement that I got from RIM. I bricked my first one. The one I returned was also perfect with no dead pixel.
    12-30-11 10:03 PM
    On startup I see stuck white pixels along the top, probably 8-12. When I run display test on black I don't see them at all. Test and startup ran in a dark room. I'm not sure if the white pixel on startup is a big deal. No dead pixels.
    12-31-11 08:25 AM
    My new one had a pixel that was showing blue on a black screen.I ran the screen helper and the display test apps and it went away. Lets hope for the best.

Pretty solid unit with paired my new bold 9900 I am really happy with Bberry.

This forum is a wealth of knowledge.
    01-08-12 01:21 PM
    my first 32gb PB had minimum 3 dead pixels, exchanged it for a new one which was fine. then i returned that one to exchange it for the 64gb one that just dropped in price. i luckily opened this one before leaving the store and found 2 dead pixels. got the store to swap it with another one now all is well
    01-08-12 08:41 PM
    No pixels were harmed in the production of my PlayBook.
    01-08-12 08:56 PM
    With all these newcomers posting about their problems with dead or stuck pixels, I was wondering, if the dead pixel is correlated with the manufacturing date. I was just thinking that moreof early units might have suffered from the problem and RIM probably made QC more stringent along the way.

So if you vote here, can you also post your manufacturing date as well (can be found on the box)?

Note: manufacturing and purchase dates may be far away from each other.
    01-13-12 09:38 AM
    People, we need to see if there is correlation here. If you have a dead pixel, please, post the manufacturing date and capacity. We'll then be able to infer whether RIM has corrected the problem along the way.

I had two 16Gbs, which I had to return. I don't remember exact manuf. dates but they were both April 2011.
    01-28-12 06:47 PM
    3 PlayBooks, no dead or stuck pixels.

If the date on the box are indeed mfg. dates ours are as follows:

16 GB - 070411

32 GB - 190411
    64 GB - 050112
    Last edited by rjedge54; 01-28-12 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Addition
    kennyliu likes this.
    01-28-12 07:23 PM
    2 PB's early serial numbers no problems.
    01-28-12 07:29 PM
    Btw, my 64Gb's (mfg.d. 280411) screen is perfect.

P.S. rjedge54, your 64Gb is the newest unit I've seen. Congrats.
    01-28-12 07:31 PM
    Btw, my 64Gb's (mfg.d. 280411) screen is perfect.

P.S. rjedge54, your 64Gb is the newest unit I've seen. Congrats.
    It kind of surprised us as well.
    01-28-12 07:43 PM
    I discovered a dead white pixel last night. I believe the date on mine is April 2011. Doesn't bother me as much as principle. I really only see it on a restart.
    kennyliu likes this.
    01-28-12 08:23 PM
    I discovered a dead white pixel last night. I believe the date on mine is April 2011. Doesn't bother me as much as principle. I really only see it on a restart.
    This made me think that we also need to report our level of OCD I am particularly OCD about screens
    01-28-12 08:28 PM
    Ok I have some light bleed on right side. On the black screen i can see maybe 50+ tiny white specks all around the outer edge of screen, every other test colour is clear, its only on black, grays, browns that i can see these dots, can't figure out if they are dead pixels or micro dust under screen. They are extremely hard to see with the brightness down to low, brightness on high and if you know to look for them they are clear to see.
    Very confusing and can't make up my mind if it's going to annoy me in movies.
    01-29-12 11:49 AM
    Of the five I've gotten:
    1) 16gb - no bad pixels (Returned to purchase 64gb)
    2) 64gb - no bad pixels (Exchanged due to bulge/noticeable wobble)
    3) 64gb - 2 stuck pixels (One went away after screen helper. Exchanged it cuz the stuck pixel that remained was prominent, center left. FWIW, it also had a minor bulge/slight wobble.)
    4) 64gb - 1 stuck pixel (Almost smack in the center, but somehow less noticeable, maybe not as bright, than the last. Returned when I noticed it was worse in direct light due to the increased screen brightness. The max brightness also revealed another faint one dead center. Flat back though.)
    5) 32gb - 1 stuck pixel (Decided to try my luck with a different size and different retailer, but still got one. It's way on the edge though and hardly noticeable. Flat back too. I'm keeping it.)
    Last edited by Swirlz; 02-19-12 at 04:02 PM.
    01-29-12 06:00 PM
    Ok I have some light bleed on right side. On the black screen i can see maybe 50+ tiny white specks all around the outer edge of screen, every other test colour is clear, its only on black, grays, browns that i can see these dots, can't figure out if they are dead pixels or micro dust under screen. They are extremely hard to see with the brightness down to low, brightness on high and if you know to look for them they are clear to see.
    Very confusing and can't make up my mind if it's going to annoy me in movies.
    The best way to tell whether those are dust specks is to turn the screen off and inspect it with a flashlight. You may also want to try tilting the screen at different angles when it's on. If those are dust specks on the glass (not the screen itself) you'll be able to tell.
    01-29-12 07:26 PM
    The best way to tell whether those are dust specks is to turn the screen off and inspect it with a flashlight. You may also want to try tilting the screen at different angles when it's on. If those are dust specks on the glass (not the screen itself) you'll be able to tell.
    Brilliant did what you suggested and I can see that they are flecks of dust or maybe metal? With a very bright light shining into screen they are quite reflective, question is do I return it for a different unit or just live with it. They are impossible to see on anything but a dark screen and even then not easy, told my wife to see if she could see them and it took her a while of looking.
    Last edited by Tatsuki; 01-30-12 at 08:16 AM.
    01-30-12 08:07 AM
    No dead pixels for me. I checked. None are even sick.
    Last edited by BoloMKXXVIII; 01-30-12 at 10:16 AM.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    01-30-12 08:17 AM
    15 PB owners i know dont have any. thank god for small mercies.
    01-30-12 08:42 AM
    15 PB owners i know dont have any. thank god for small mercies.
    They, and perhaps a number of people who have reported not having one, may not know. As I mentioned, I only noticed the one I have because I happened to be staring at the screen during a restart (and in the dark to boot). Because (1) it's rarely necessary to restart the PB, and (2) even when it is necessary, people aren't usually in a dark environment staring at the screen the whole time during a restart, I daresay the figure could be a little higher.
    01-30-12 09:02 AM
    They, and perhaps a number of people who have reported not having one, may not know. As I mentioned, I only noticed the one I have because I happened to be staring at the screen during a restart (and in the dark to boot). Because (1) it's rarely necessary to restart the PB, and (2) even when it is necessary, people aren't usually in a dark environment staring at the screen the whole time during a restart, I daresay the figure could be a little higher.
    Exactly my thought. A dead/stuck pixel may easily go unnoticed by many unless they do a thorough inspection. This is a good thing as the problem is not apparent and obviously does not bother the PB owner.

But once you spot a defective pixel, it's hard to not notice it again and again
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    01-30-12 10:19 AM
    One stuck (white) pixel. Also some light bleeding lower right corner and slight back bulge. Ran screen helper for hours, no change.
    64gb - 280411, purchased 1/10/12
    I love my PB so far. I won't return it for a refund but may try to exchange it or get it RMA'd for the pixel (the other issues don't really bother me). It just seems like it may be difficult to get an exchange when no one around here seems to have any stock because of the sales.

BTW it's likely you are gonna get a slightly skewed poll result since people are more likely to view this thread if they are experiencing pixel issues.
    Last edited by throughtheblack; 01-31-12 at 12:19 AM.
    01-31-12 12:13 AM
    No, should it?
    01-31-12 01:45 AM
    Exactly my thought. A dead/stuck pixel may easily go unnoticed by many unless they do a thorough inspection. This is a good thing as the problem is not apparent and obviously does not bother the PB owner.

But once you spot a defective pixel, it's hard to not notice it again and again
    For the OCD crowd, true dat. That's why I don't do a restart in the dark or look at my screen when it's restarting. Better yet, I just don't restart unless there is no other option (usually, when I'm trying to eliminate the PB as the source of a problem in the electromagically interconnected world of my humble abode).
    01-31-12 06:45 AM
104 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD