View Poll Results: Does your PB have a dead pixel(s)?

Voters
427. You may not vote on this poll
  • My Playbook has never had a dead pixel.

301 70.49%
  • My Playbook had a dead pixel(s) but it/they went away.

12 2.81%
  • My Playbook has one or two dead pixels.

86 20.14%
  • My Playbook has multiple dead pixels.

28 6.56%
    Took me 7 PlayBook exchanges to get one that didn't have one of the following; dead pixels, major dust particles under the screen, retracted power button, backlight stayed on when powered off. The 7th one was immaculate! I stuck with it because I got the 32GB for the price of the discounted 16GB

That ordeal gave me a clear picture of a possible reason why the PlayBook return rate has been so high. No one expects defects on items that cost $299-499 (discounted pricing), let alone the regular price of $499-$699
    Last edited by Abrante; 11-09-11 at 01:29 PM.
    11-09-11 01:26 PM
    ^ You should buy lottery tickets. Your "luck" is incredible.

The rate is more like 20% according to the poll and there are screen exercisers that do work apparently.

RMA seems to be getting excellents reviews these days.

Posted via bridged browser.
    11-09-11 02:07 PM
    this is indeed a great reason to praise the playbook :-)

@ Abrante. don't forget to check for light bleeding. it is also very common.

just to confirm what you've said, i've had my hands on 6 different playbooks and only one was free of any visible defect.
    11-09-11 02:56 PM
    just to confirm what you've said, i've had my hands on 6 different playbooks and only one was free of any visible defect.[/QUOTE]

QC must have been pretty low for the PlayBook. Staples didn't make much money off of my Playbook. 6 next day deliveries off of one device (shipping and returning) could have easily cost them close to $200 bucks and I paid $299 for the 32GB. SMH
    Last edited by Abrante; 11-09-11 at 03:35 PM.
    11-09-11 03:33 PM
    So almost a 25% dead pixel rate among users? This isn't good.
    Come on whiner. It is much better than a 30% or 40% dead pixel rate!

Besides, if the dead pixels are appropriately located, you won't notice the spelling errors.

(please - this is a sarcasm alert!)
    adamman and brucep1 like this.
    11-09-11 03:33 PM
    just to confirm what you've said, i've had my hands on 6 different playbooks and only one was free of any visible defect.

QC must have been pretty low for the PlayBook. Staples didn't make any money off of my Playbook. 6 next day deliveries off of one device (shipping and returning) could have easily cost them close to $200 bucks and I paid $299 for the 32GB. SMH
    Your experience is not typical as the poll results clearly indicate.

Anecdotally, I've two PBs -16g exchanged for a 32g- and both had nominal function.
    11-09-11 03:38 PM

It was a weakness that RIM has apparently addressed. Cripple has been praised in that regard.
    11-09-11 03:41 PM
    Your experience is not typical as the poll results clearly indicate.

Anecdotally, I've two PBs -16g exchanged for a 32g- and both had nominal function.
    You're right. Afterall, I opted to continue the exchanges because I truly like the PlayBook.
    11-09-11 03:44 PM
    ^ You should buy lottery tickets. Your "luck" is incredible.

The rate is more like 20% according to the poll and there are screen exercisers that do work apparently.

Posted via bridged browser.
    It's more like 25% than 20%, either way it is not good for the company. I'm lucky enough to not have any that stuck around.
    11-10-11 08:40 AM
    there are screen exercisers that do work apparently
    and no, screen exercisers don't work most of the time. they definitely do not revive DEAD pixels
    11-10-11 11:19 AM
    Well I too have dead pixels. One significant one in the middle of the screen. At least two other small faint ones that are not really noticeable. I debated as to whether to send it back for RMA and finally decided that after OS2 delay, paying $ 600 for a glorified web browser device and so on (insert gripe here) and the fact that on a dark screen it's impossible to miss - to send the thing back. This is the second time sending back the same unit for RMA service. The first time was for the infamous useless power button that hardly worked issue. This time for the dead pixel. The first time the process took a week and went smoothly. I hope the same result this time around. Findings to follow.
    You didn't notice the dead pixel the first time you sent it back?
    BTW a dead pixel will not show up on a dark screen. Dead = black.

Useless power button that hardly worked? Either it works or it doesn't. Doubting your credibility I think you just want to gripe.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-10-11 at 11:59 AM.
    Lhendr likes this.
    11-10-11 11:50 AM

That's strange - where did you find 6 different playbooks? Why not just make up a number like 12?

I've had my hands on one with no defects - well if you count the ones I've seen in retail stores, but I doubt they are going to put out a defective one. Unless it has become defective from mishandling. You should play the lottery also, or stop exaggerating..
    11-10-11 11:58 AM
    Good point. Including the PBs actually displayed and maintained by retailers, I've never seen a malfunctioning pixel. So that's probably a dozenish I've handled since the introduction of the PB that have had perfect screens.
    11-10-11 02:40 PM
    That's strange - where did you find 6 different playbooks? Why not just make up a number like 12?

I've had my hands on one with no defects - well if you count the ones I've seen in retail stores, but I doubt they are going to put out a defective one. Unless it has become defective from mishandling. You should play the lottery also, or stop exaggerating..

ha, it's you again.

i myself have had four: 2 with multiple stuck pixels which i exchanged for other two. one replacement is perfect (in the sense of no defects) and the other has terrible light bleeding in the left lower corner.

and the the remaining two were friends' who returned them to staples (fortunately, there are no restocking fees there)

or do you want me to swear an oath or have a notarized statement sent to you?

are you offended again that people are reporting that at least 25% of the playbooks are defective? upset? annoyed? or how will you call it this time?

to the mods: if you think i am harsh on this guy and this is another personal attack , please, see his post above. this guy accuses people of lying with no proof
    Last edited by adamman; 11-10-11 at 04:30 PM.
    11-10-11 04:24 PM
    No dead or stuck pixels here. My pb is perfect.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-11 06:29 PM
    ha, it's you again.

i myself have had four: 2 with multiple stuck pixels which i exchanged for other two. one replacement is perfect (in the sense of no defects) and the other has terrible light bleeding in the left lower corner.

and the the remaining two were friends' who returned them to staples (fortunately, there are no restocking fees there)

are you offended again that people are reporting that at least 25% of the playbooks are defective? upset? annoyed? or how will you call it this time?

to the mods: if you think i am harsh on this guy and this is another personal attack , please, see his post above. this guy accuses people of lying with no proof
    Even you have to admit that your experience is, statistically speaking, very unlikely. A bad lot could explain things but even your complaint of a light leak is exceedingly rare.

By my napkin calculations, you have ~2% chance of personally encountering 6 malfunctioning PB screens (less if you include the light leak rarity) at a 25% failure rate as generously extrapolated from the poll.

Your experience is not shared by 98% of PB owners.
    11-10-11 06:57 PM
    Even you have to admit that your experience is, statistically speaking, very unlikely. A bad lot could explain things but even your complaint of a light leak is exceedingly rare.

By my napkin calculations, you have ~2% chance of personally encountering 6 malfunctioning PB screens (less if you include the light leak rarity) at a 25% failure rate as generously extrapolated from the poll.

Your experience is not shared by 98% of PB owners.
    it's not 2% but 4.3%. check your math:

using the binomial distribution
    p = 0.26, q = 0.74, n = 6
    p(x=4) = 6C4*(0.26^4)*(0.74^2) = 3.754% (probability of having 4 defective playbooks exactly)
    p(x=5) = 0.528%
    p(x=6) = 0.031%
    the probability of having 4 or more playbooks with a defective pixel p(x=4)+p(x=5)+p(x=6) = 4.3%

not a terribly low probability to accuse me of lying (every 23d person who have seen 6 pbs may run into 4 or more defective). for reference, the probability of getting half of the playbook defective out of six is 19% (every fifth person). that's not low by any means.

whatever my luck was or regardless of whether it was a bad batch, i do think that 25% defect* rate is absolutely unacceptable if you have some sort of qc.

* if we assume that crackberry users who participated in the poll are more or less representative of all playbook owners.
    Last edited by adamman; 11-10-11 at 09:14 PM.
    11-10-11 07:38 PM
    ha, it's you again.

The word I used was exaggerating, not lying ...like you just exaggerated what I said about your post..
    11-11-11 01:56 AM
    The word I used was exaggerating, not lying ...like you just exaggerated what I said about your post..
    Heh, are these not your words:

Making up = lying
    Last edited by adamman; 11-11-11 at 03:17 AM.
    11-11-11 01:58 AM
    I have a 16GB with no issues since launch date (May) but my new 64GB has one stuck (not dead) pixel in top right corner that comes and goes. Sometimes it stays stuck as a bright red dot and sometimes it works... Seems to go away when I recharge it. Not totally annoying but feels wrong for a brand new gadget.

Giving it a week before I decide if I want to RMA it.
    12-29-11 12:06 PM
    Where is everybody exchanging these playbooks? I bought one on Monday and when i boot up the black screen i have lots of green, red and white dots at the top of my screen and when i run the tester to black get the same. But currys shop insist its not dead pixels and wont do anything??
    12-29-11 03:40 PM
    bot 1 playbook 16gb and saw many minor dead pixels only visible when it started up with black backgroud. exchanged 3 times all have minor dead pixels here and there. store refunded me without letting me got exchange again.
    poor playbook quality. no worth $199 and my time to exchange them...
    12-30-11 05:45 PM
    Mine is A1. No pixel problems, no power button problems, wi-fi and BT are great. Bridge works flawlessly.

After just a few weeks, I couldn't be much happier with it.
    12-30-11 06:10 PM
    Where is everybody exchanging these playbooks? I bought one on Monday and when i boot up the black screen i have lots of green, red and white dots at the top of my screen and when i run the tester to black get the same. But currys shop insist its not dead pixels and wont do anything??
    The PB has a one year warranty,and only a 90 day free Tech support.

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]
    12-30-11 06:40 PM
    Anyone have a European and other contact phone numbers so we can post those, too, in similar threads.?
    12-30-11 07:20 PM
104 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD