View Poll Results: Does Your Browser Crash and How Often?

Voters
937. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have never experienced any browser crashing problems.

123 13.13%
  • Browser crashes occasionally, but this hasn't bothered me much.

288 30.74%
  • Browser crashes often (e.g a few times a week). More frequently under OS 2.0 than before.

235 25.08%
  • Browser crashes often (e.g a few times a week). Less frequently under OS 2.0 than before.

56 5.98%
  • Browser crashes daily. More frequently under OS 2.0.

217 23.16%
  • Browser crashes daily. Less frequently under OS 2.0.

18 1.92%
    Maybe RIM should bring the 1.08 browser back, and sort out the OS2 Browser problems internally?
    It would be great if RIM would give us the option of going back to 1.08 until they work out all the glitches in 2.0.
    03-14-12 05:38 PM
    Btw, here is what John (BlackBerry Project Manager) replied to my post on the Beta Zone:

"Thanks for sharing this! We're especially interested in examples of websites that cause crashes. For random crashes, we're working on increased browser stability.
    Thanks!

John
    "

So, please, post the websites you are having most crashes with.

Thanks again.
    Well after ignoring playbook for last week and reverting to iPad, I thought I would give the PB another chance tonight. Has crashed twice when viewing autotrader.co.UK within 5-10 minutes of use .
    sagec and kennyliu like this.
    03-15-12 01:42 PM
    For me, it's unpredictable, so I can't give a specific list of websites as none of them will 100% cause a crash. CrackBerry is a frequent crasher, as are sites containing heavy flash content and/or with embedded video. (lack of memory implicated?)
    Ditto......
    kennyliu likes this.
    03-15-12 01:55 PM
    My browser crashes on a daily basis, and multiple times quite frequently. From my experience, it seems to occur when the available memory drops below 200 MB. There must be an issue with memory management in this build that needs to be addressed so that the available memory can stay higher and reduce the browser crashes. As a reference, I very rarely run other apps in the background when using the browser.
    kennyliu likes this.
    03-15-12 02:01 PM
    I think there's a couple of sites that precipitate crashes for me can't remember off hand....occasionally I cause it with clumsy fingers....all I all though I'm so HAPPY With my playbook.......love it.......xxxxxxxxxxxx
    kennyliu likes this.
    03-15-12 02:29 PM
    mine crashes a few times per week, neither more or less often with 2.0. it's pretty annoying
    kennyliu likes this.
    03-15-12 02:31 PM
    Thanks everybody. I just posted the latest list of problematic websites in the Beta Zone.

Keep'em coming. Maybe RIM engineers will be able to identify a certain pattern in what seems to be random to us.

Thanks again.
    03-15-12 02:55 PM
    I've got auto kick from Browser every 5-10 minutes browsing. I try other browsers (chalemon, simple browser,...) but got the same problem as Native Browser. I think it is about the OS, not about the browsers.
    03-15-12 03:02 PM
    Ok I change my vote. 3 crashes tonight alone. Worse under 2.0 (but by no means good pre-2.0)
    03-15-12 09:15 PM
    Go to www.usairways.com then click on log into dividend miles. It will crash everytime. I have been patient with this piece of crap long enough. I purchased first day the playbook was introduced last year. I will not be using, supporting, or encouraging the use of playbook anymore.
    sagec, kennyliu and BlazorBoy like this.
    03-15-12 09:41 PM
    Go to www.usairways.com then click on log into dividend miles. It will crash everytime. I have been patient with this piece of crap long enough. I purchased first day the playbook was introduced last year. I will not be using, supporting, or encouraging the use of playbook anymore.
    Yeah. Finally something that I can replicate!!!

Keep'em coming, people.

Edit: I am adding this one to my post on the Beta Zone (source acknowledged ). Thank you fly_branch.
    03-15-12 10:18 PM
    It is interesting how some people never experienced these crashes that appears to be rather widespread and common. While PB browser is very powerful and solid, it is clear there are some bugs that must be fixed. It's good to see RIM actively participating and getting feedback from this forum, surely that will help speeding up fixing these issues.
    03-15-12 10:19 PM
    Can those who haven't had any crashing before try the following and report back?

It crashed on mine. Would be great to see if yours can handle the site.

Thanks.

03-15-12 10:29 PM
    Yep, nice crash ... Good if you want to close your browser fast! ;-)
    03-15-12 10:29 PM
    Tried the website on my Touchpad. No crashing, but it won't load. Gives an error message, which can be closed and you can continue working.

Dolphin HD on my Android phone loaded the dividends page after straining for a few secs. But it looks like Android is handling the site OK. So is my Firefox on my Win 7 (no problems loading).
    03-15-12 10:41 PM
    PlayBook is amazing there are so many variables in this post. Besides electronic equipment is prone to be touchy. Enjoy your playbook. Stop stressing the little things. Bb rules
    03-15-12 10:58 PM
    PlayBook is amazing there are so many variables in this post. Besides electronic equipment is prone to be touchy. Enjoy your playbook. Stop stressing the little things. Bb rules
    Thanks for the words of wisdom, Sensei. We are trying to enjoy our Playboooks. But those little things happen too often. But we'll try not to stress. I promise
    Altarocks likes this.
    03-15-12 11:48 PM
    That is what I call a fanboy.
    Altarocks and sagec like this.
    03-16-12 07:44 AM
    My browser crashes whilst I'm in messages and vice versa messages crashes whilst I'm using browser.

I'm putting it down to typically having 6+ web pages open at a time and 5 email accounts with about 2000 existing emails in the inbox, I'll switch to email go to switch back to browser and it's gone. Also it crashes sometimes when just opening a tab to a normal site that normally is fine. I reopen browser (all previous pages reopen) and select the page that just crashed the browser and all is OK... So think it's some sort of memory leak/management problem.
    03-16-12 09:36 AM
    That's always going to be an issue with real multitasking. The device has only so much memory, and after a certain point all the apps will take up more than the device can handle.
    03-16-12 03:13 PM
    That's always going to be an issue with real multitasking. The device has only so much memory, and after a certain point all the apps will take up more than the device can handle.
    Mine crashes with no other app open.
    03-16-12 03:15 PM
    browser crashes and closes all other open apps when i visit Android & Windows Phone: Tablets, Apps, & ROMs @ xda-developers
    kennyliu likes this.
    03-16-12 03:30 PM
    browser crashes and closes all other open apps when i visit Android & Windows Phone: Tablets, Apps, & ROMs @ xda-developers
    Thank you. I mentioned XDA in the Beta Zone post already.
    03-16-12 03:32 PM
    Now, this turns the browser crash into something of more serious matter. There must some serious memory leak issue going on, but on top of that affecting other running processes raises a question - aren't the user processes running in its own protected memory space? Surely the OS appear to be unaffected but other apps are.

This better get fixed soon, probably via a small patch or something..
    03-16-12 03:44 PM
    I have had Browser crashes with my laptop and it seems go be certain sites that lock it up. I try to stay away from those sites with my PB. Generally I stick with the same tried and true websites and that way I stay out of trouble. No pickups on my PB browser as yet.
    03-16-12 04:18 PM
404 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD