View Poll Results: Does Your Browser Crash and How Often?

Voters
937. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have never experienced any browser crashing problems.

123 13.13%
  • Browser crashes occasionally, but this hasn't bothered me much.

288 30.74%
  • Browser crashes often (e.g a few times a week). More frequently under OS 2.0 than before.

235 25.08%
  • Browser crashes often (e.g a few times a week). Less frequently under OS 2.0 than before.

56 5.98%
  • Browser crashes daily. More frequently under OS 2.0.

217 23.16%
  • Browser crashes daily. Less frequently under OS 2.0.

18 1.92%
    Mine also crashed 3 times today but I think I observed some patter today. The crashes happened when I opened a second app (messages and calculator). Before, browser crashes had been pretty random for me. It is likely that those who claimed it's memory related are correct.

In any case, even counting today's crashes, my browser has been more stable after the update. But I am in the minority.
    03-08-12 09:17 PM
    one issue that I've noticed occurring more frequently after 2.0 update is clicking on a link.

Sometimes when I click a link, it begins to the load, and the progress/downloading bar at the top goes to about half and just stops. I usually end up having to click the link again and then it quickly loads the page.

I initially thought this was an issue with my wifii at home, but I'm having this issue wherever I go.

I'm not crying about this, but just a bit annoying. Anybody else have this problem?
    03-09-12 12:02 AM
    Not So, I have a whole list of bookmarks. I am using SimpleBrowser+ (paid version) and it works extremely well. The only "poof" I have had was on XDA-Developers site (also crashed in the native browser)
    Hi all,

all in all, the browser works fine, the only site that was giving me headache is xda forum (forum.xda-developers.com) and any XDA-developers related URL

I've been trying several thing (clear all cache, try after a fresh reboot, disable flash,java,and so) but still there ...

Until today, I tried to disabled location (Settings/Permissions/Turn off "Allow Websites to Access My Location)

And .. since then, looks like I can browse XDA with no issue

Would be interested to know if some of you already tried that, or can try and report back here

Thank you
    03-09-12 10:59 AM
    one issue that I've noticed occurring more frequently after 2.0 update is clicking on a link.

Sometimes when I click a link, it begins to the load, and the progress/downloading bar at the top goes to about half and just stops. I usually end up having to click the link again and then it quickly loads the page.

I initially thought this was an issue with my wifii at home, but I'm having this issue wherever I go.

I'm not crying about this, but just a bit annoying. Anybody else have this problem?
    Hi, confirmed here too ... and confirm if you wait a bit, then the page continues loading ...
    Last edited by dawabz94; 03-09-12 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Additional information
    03-09-12 11:00 AM

Next time it happens give it some time and see if the page loads. I have seen this happen along with no progress bar but the page still loads.
    03-09-12 11:10 AM
    Next time it happens give it some time and see if the page loads. I have seen this happen along with no progress bar but the page still loads.
    Yea, I actually tried that last night, and if i wait about 20 - 25 seconds, the page eventually loads.

But is this normal?
    03-09-12 11:14 AM
    Yea, I actually tried that last night, and if i wait about 20 - 25 seconds, the page eventually loads.

But is this normal?
    I can't say it's "normal", but it happens here, too. Not often though.

Btw, another "poof" today.
    03-09-12 11:19 AM
    Normal for anything I suppose. Sometimes I click a link on my PC and a new tab opens but white screen. Close the tab and try again and get instant gratification. I probably has more to do with the site your trying to access then the PB.
    03-09-12 11:21 AM
    With 443 votes on the poll, most (less 72) indicating their browser crashes/has crashed, why isn't this front page news, getting some kind of response from RIM?
    A browser crash shouldn't be front page news. It happens on every device.
    The poll indicates a split between often and rare so it's not most having problems.
    I find it hard to draw real conclusions from the poll.
    To form an opinion about whether the amount of crashes is acceptable or not you would need to know how often the browser is used.
    If my car required service twice in a year and I drive it 5000/miles a year I would be upset. If the same car needed service twice a year but was driven 35000 miles it would be reasonable.
    03-09-12 11:36 AM
    A browser crash shouldn't be front page news. It happens on every device.
    The poll indicates a split between often and rare so it's not most having problems.
    I find it hard to draw real conclusions from the poll.
    To form an opinion about whether the amount of crashes is acceptable or not you would need to know how often the browser is used.
    If my car required service twice in a year and I drive it 5000/miles a year I would be upset. If the same car needed service twice a year but was driven 35000 miles it would be reasonable.
    Interesting way of thinking.

1) Crashes do happen on any device but we are talking about frequencies here. My FF "crashed" (plugin stopped working) 3 times over the last 12 months. And mind you I am on my laptop much more than on the Playbook. My PB Browser crashed 4 times over the last two days.

2) At any rate of usage, more than half report frequent (daily/weekly) crashes. Regardless whether they use their PB 10 minutes a day or 10 hours, that's not "normal"/acceptable.

3) Still don't understand your car argument. Are you saying that those reporting no problems use it only a few minutes a day and those who are having frequent crashes use it more? If so it actually exaggerates the real problem (i.e. the poll is downward biased). If vice versa, well, see # 2 above.

I just don't understand why people want to mute the issue. It's obvious that many people have the problem and it is all too real for them. Just because you are not having any issues, does not mean others are also not experiencing it.

Don't we all want RIM to make the PB even better by improving browser stability?
    Last edited by kennyliu; 03-09-12 at 01:08 PM.
    03-09-12 12:51 PM
    2) What's normal/acceptable? That is up to the user to decide.
    There is a big difference between 3 (few times a week) crashes in 70 minutes and 3 crashes in 4200 minutes.

3) That's not what I'm saying at all. See number 2

That is why I find it difficult to draw conclusions from this poll.
    03-09-12 01:13 PM
    it does not happen always but i hate it when it hangs and i cant turn it off
    03-09-12 01:17 PM
    2) What's normal/acceptable? That is up to the user to decide.
    There is a big difference between 3 (few times a week) crashes in 70 minutes and 3 crashes in 4200 minutes.

3) That's not what I'm saying at all. See number 2

That is why I find it difficult to draw conclusions from this poll.
    Ok, what exactly do you find difficult? Half of respondents report they have daily/weekly crashes, with more than 1/5 reporting DAILY crashes. I doubt that many people would consider this acceptable.
    03-09-12 01:19 PM
    How many of the crashers came off the beta and how many have dingle berries.
    I don't know how it could have worded to get real answers but this wasn't it.
    Fortunately I don't have problems.
    Again, I find it difficult to draw conclusions from your poll.
    I realize your a bit sensitive since its your poll so I will leave you be with you hard facts to report to RIM.
    03-09-12 01:42 PM
    How many of the crashers came off the beta and how many have dingle berries.
    I don't know how it could have worded to get real answers but this wasn't it.
    Fortunately I don't have problems.
    Again, I find it difficult to draw conclusions from your poll.
    I realize your a bit sensitive since its your poll so I will leave you be with you hard facts to report to RIM.
    It's not me who's sensitive on this forum. I would never even think of calling a person a dork just because he or she said something about the device I own

As for the reasons for browser instability, you won't argue that your own argument applies. It really is difficult to infer anything about why people are having problems from the poll. In my case, I am on a prostine native PB with no sideloading or Android apps. Read comments and you won't see a single suspected reason listed. But the bottomline is that the browser is unstable for many people.

But I have to give you credit for saying that fortunately YOU don't have problems.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 03-09-12 at 01:58 PM.
    03-09-12 01:53 PM
    Browser Crash is not unique to PB.

I personally used Playbook, iPad and Asus Transformer. To be honest, Browser crash happens on all three devices, it's more compatibility issue between the sites and the browser.

If you do a google search for browser crash for different platform, you will see that

"ipad browser crash" returns about 23 million results
    "andriod browser crash" gives 12 millions results
    "playbook browser crash" gives 1.46 million results.

The results pretty much match the market share of each devices. I would say they are equal on Browser crashes.

Honestly, this POLL is meaningless.

If asking how many people had Browser crash on site : www.google.com, most likely, it will be none for all devices.
    Last edited by yeek; 03-09-12 at 02:34 PM.
    03-09-12 02:29 PM
    Browser Crash is not unique to PB.

I personally used Playbook, iPad and Asus Transformer. To be honest, Browser crash happens on all three devices, it's more compatibility issue between the sites and the browser.

If you do a google search for browser crash for different platform, you will see that

"ipad browser crash" returns about 23 million results
    "andriod browser crash" gives 12 millions results
    "playbook browser crash" gives 1.46 million results.

They are equal if take the total number of users owns devices.
    Boolean search is an amazing thing if you learn how to use it and how to interpret the results
    03-09-12 02:31 PM
    Mine crashes a lot more under 2.0 than previous versions, but not so bad that it's unusable.
    03-09-12 03:58 PM
    Honestly, this POLL is meaningless.

If asking how many people had Browser crash on site : Google, most likely, it will be none for all devices.

Since you edited your comment since I responded. Well, the poll is as meaningless as any other. The question is what you have found to be meaningless in it.

As for your google.com example, I just couldn't tell whether you were being sarcastic or not. I and a few other member of this site actually did have problems with the website:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...oblems-697356/

This one I can reproduce for you if you'd like

Back to your very scientific method of determining the number of crashes across platforms based on Google search result counts (hint again: Boolean search), you do understand that the number of Android devices activated DAILY is bigger than the total number of all Playbooks sold to date, so the ratio is way waaaaaaaaaaay bigger than 8 to 1.
    03-09-12 05:33 PM
    Crashes a few times a day. Get the impression it's getting worse over time.
    03-09-12 05:38 PM
    Problem is the scope of the poll. Most will respond if theyhave had a crash, but how many will skip right over it if they dont. I skipped this thread for days before voting. I think with any browser yojre likely to have the same ballpark issues for numbers. As a web designer a lot of issues can also be contributed to the site itself and poor coding for mobile browsing compatibility. My firefox crashes infinitely more than my pb. Chrome as well.
    bluefisher896 likes this.
    03-09-12 07:29 PM
    OK.. This shouldn't be ignored. This morning my pb poofed when I was replying to a forum on how great the playbook is (which it is). I spent a long time writing the posting and then it was gone. This was disappointing but it wasn't the first time a browser (not necessarily the playbook's) crashed on me.
    Then I found this posting. But in my case I have sideloaded apps and use the net more on my pb since upgrading to os2. However it doesn't bother me too much because I think it's only crashed on me 3 times since the upgrade and I've been using the pb browser since then quite a bit.
    However, I'm a firm believer of product improvement and I'm not going to deny that some people are having more crashes than normal. It is in RIM best interest to solve this problem since it only makes a better more reliable product. I would suggest that everyone experiencing these abnormal frequent crashing open up a ticket to RIM to investigate. Bottomline, it's in all our best interest as BBPB users.
    03-11-12 09:53 AM
    Crashes a few times a day. Get the impression it's getting worse over time.
    Which might chime with my personal suspicion that it's memory related. I have no evidence for this, but it does seem to make sense given RIMs advice on another thread to regularly clear the cache - daily cache clearing is what I think they suggested, which kindof tells its own story there.

Anyone who says, "all browsers crash, PB is no different",... well, you are correct, I've seen browser crashes on every platform I've used. However, any browser that crashes at least once a day, is so far beyond the "shrug, and restart" limits of acceptability.

I also don't buy the "it's the websites you frequent, they must be broken" argument as I browse exactly the same mix of websites now as I did in 1.08 - mostly news, crackberry, and occassional ebay, youtube, etc - and the 1.08 browser was rock solid.

I realise that I'm wasting my words here. There are many on this site who seem to regard any criticism of PB as a personal affront, but however you play those numbers in the poll, there are obviously a number of people who are having significant issues with browser crashes - and many of them can compare to the pre-OS2 situation. I can certainly cast my mind back a few weeks and recall life with the 1.08 browser, so I also give short shrift to those who claim I'm just riding a bandwagon, or that my memory is faulty. I'm not in my dotage yet!

Like I say, wasted words... but at least I feel better getting them off my chest.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 03-11-12 at 10:52 AM.
    03-11-12 10:50 AM
    I had some on 1.8 as well. For me I actually get a few more on 2.0 but it still isn't every day. It has always seemed like one day I'll get a couple and then I can go days with none. It is also almost always when using bridge with no wifi available.

I am experimenting now.
    03-11-12 11:44 AM
    Maybe off-topic, but does anyone know of a PB app that will run in background and log/record free memory to a file?

As one of the classic software bugs is to grab memory and not release it (been there, done that!), I'd like to gather some evidence and either confirm or deny my suspicions that memory leaks and poor memory management are to blame for my browser frequently going bye-bye.

Anyone?
    03-11-12 12:00 PM
404 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD