View Poll Results: Does Your Browser Crash and How Often?

Voters
937. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have never experienced any browser crashing problems.

123 13.13%
  • Browser crashes occasionally, but this hasn't bothered me much.

288 30.74%
  • Browser crashes often (e.g a few times a week). More frequently under OS 2.0 than before.

235 25.08%
  • Browser crashes often (e.g a few times a week). Less frequently under OS 2.0 than before.

56 5.98%
  • Browser crashes daily. More frequently under OS 2.0.

217 23.16%
  • Browser crashes daily. Less frequently under OS 2.0.

18 1.92%
09-18-12 09:07 AM
404 ... 1112131415 ...
tools
    Please enlighten me where is says "repeated" crashes?
    I stand corrected. The poll never used the word "repeated". My apologies to Kenny for maybe misrepresenting his poll.

There's one option for never crashed (only 14% apparently)

And several options for "occasional", "often (few times a week)", "often (daily)" which get around 80% of the vote.

I interpreted "often (daily)" to mean the crash is repeated several times in the day. And, whilst I can't speak for others, they may have also interpreted "often" to mean more than one occurance too.

So you win.
    03-21-12 03:58 PM
    In the poll choices...

It's pretty specific.

It does seem a common occurrence. Personally, it doesn't me too much. It just is a little inconvenience.

I got force closes on my Android all the time. Just takes a second to reopen.

I'm more concerned with the 9930 bricking than this, or the lack of Power Points with animations working on the PlayBook.
    So that means that since mine has only crashed once, this poll doesn't apply to me. Maybe two crashes is applicable since it is "repeated". Gotcha
    03-21-12 04:02 PM
    If yours only crashed ONCE, I would choose never as your poll answer. That's the closest and you can assume your one crash is not likely to be repeated.

My force closes often.
    kennyliu likes this.
    03-21-12 04:05 PM
    I stand corrected. The poll never used the word "repeated". My apologies to Kenny for maybe misrepresenting his poll.

There's one option for never crashed (only 14% apparently)

And several options for "occasional", "often (few times a week)", "often (daily)" which get around 80% of the vote.

I interpreted "often (daily)" to mean the crash is repeated several times in the day. And, whilst I can't speak for others, they may have also interpreted "often" to mean more than one occurance too.

So you win.
    No, you are also correct. This poll doesn't really represent what it could potentially had. Technically, one crash would put a user in the second category. Maybe more thorough options would have been best.
    Last edited by lc1412; 03-21-12 at 04:13 PM.
    03-21-12 04:10 PM
    And that means that if it crashed only one time since you've owned it, it'll be on the report. I don't think there are too many devices who's browser hasn't crashed at least one time. Going by your logic, I think every device that has a browser, that particular devices website should have their front page saying something very similar............
    More than half of respondents report frequent crashes (few times a week) or daily crashes. Browsers on other platforms do crash, but few times a week or daily crashes should not be considered normal/acceptable by any standard. Again, 23% of all respondents have daily crashes. More than 31% have crashes a few times a week.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 03-21-12 at 04:51 PM.
    03-21-12 04:49 PM
    My Playbook crashes when I simply try to open a webpage now, and now my Calender won't even work... This is rather frustrating.
    03-21-12 09:01 PM
    My Playbook crashes when I simply try to open a webpage now, and now my Calender won't even work... This is rather frustrating.
    Try a re-start of the PB.

Free memory seems to leak away over time in OS2. A re-start will re-fill the tub!

It's not a solution to the underlying problem, but it might buy you some time with your PB.
    kennyliu likes this.
    03-22-12 03:08 AM
    Browsing xda forums always - I mean *ALWAY* crash the browser and all other running apps
    This can be reproduced anytime, whatever option is checked or not in the browser's settings
    This is driving me crazy
    The thing will soon endup on ebay if RIM does not move rapidly on this issue :-(
    03-22-12 06:05 AM
    Browsing xda forums always - I mean *ALWAY* crash the browser and all other running apps
    This can be reproduced anytime, whatever option is checked or not in the browser's settings
    This is driving me crazy
    The thing will soon endup on ebay if RIM does not move rapidly on this issue :-(
    Just went there. Seems to work fine with java script off. Turn it back on and poof. My email stayed open and did not crash.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 03-22-12 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Email
    03-22-12 06:32 AM
    My PB browser crashed three times while trying to reply to this post! (I'm now posting from a PC).

I haven't really tracked which particular sites are more problematic than others, but the CB site, which is a daily visit, never lasts more than 5 minutes on the playbook. But then again, this site is one of the worst for flash advertisement clutter!
    03-22-12 06:48 AM
    My PB browser crashed three times while trying to reply to this post! (I'm now posting from a PC).

I haven't really tracked which particular sites are more problematic than others, but the CB site, which is a daily visit, never lasts more than 5 minutes on the playbook. But then again, this site is one of the worst for flash advertisement clutter!
    As you can tell I'm on here a lot. I don't get a ton of crashes from this site, once in awhile yes but not constant.
    03-22-12 06:52 AM
    I usually get one crash a day on this site. But as stated above, it is flash and ad heavy.
    03-22-12 08:17 AM
    What do you mean by crashing? My browser closes sometimes but that is when the ram get to low and the playbook automatically closes the browser. Sometimes the browser also gets stuck, but starts working a few minutes later.
    03-22-12 10:46 AM
    ^^that is crashing
    03-22-12 10:55 AM
    Have never had browser crashes with OS1.xxx. My experience is that it crashes with websites that are using flash and when I change a page...
    Last edited by Slabs1960; 03-22-12 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Typo
    03-22-12 12:01 PM
    Just went there. Seems to work fine with java script off. Turn it back on and poof. My email stayed open and did not crash.
    Interesting, I was sure I had tested that one... Looks I did not...
    Confirmed xda seems fine with javascript turned off
    Now using Simple Browser with one dedicated tab only for xda with javascript disabled
    Makes the thing a bit more usable, thanks
    03-22-12 04:10 PM
    anyone still having problems?
    03-28-12 12:15 AM
    I am. Still a few crashes a week. Some days go without a single crash. Some days it's a few crashes.

There is the impending OS update, which will hopefully fix the problem.
    03-28-12 12:18 AM
    It weird bc I have only 'heard' of these problems in the forums. Ive had a browser crash maybe 10 times since I got mine in November... but ive also had my desktop browser crash just as many times.
    03-28-12 12:24 AM
    It weird bc I have only 'heard' of these problems in the forums. Ive had a browser crash maybe 10 times since I got mine in November... but ive also had my desktop browser crash just as many times.
    I am glad you are not having your desktop browser crash daily or a few times a week. That would be unusual.
    03-28-12 12:27 AM
    it would. but you glossed over the point that my PB isnt crashing that frequently either.

I posted in the other thread (the update one) about maybe this being user error or maybe even something needing a security wipe/reinstall or something because like i said if it isnt happening with EVERY device then i wouldnt consider it a flaw in the device.

Maybe it is just the ones that were made first (if that is possible)...
    (just like the new ipad apparent reception issue may be a fault in only the first batch or so)
    03-28-12 12:33 AM
    it would. but you glossed over the point that my PB isnt crashing that frequently either.

I posted in the other thread (the update one) about maybe this being user error or maybe even something needing a security wipe/reinstall or something because like i said if it isnt happening with EVERY device then i wouldnt consider it a flaw in the device.

Maybe it is just the ones that were made first (if that is possible)...
    (just like the new ipad apparent reception issue may be a fault in only the first batch or so)

I'd say what explains why some people have the crashes and some don't is the variation in the usage across PB users, rather than variation in hardware.
    03-28-12 12:40 AM
    Well, mine still crashes
    Very simple to reproduce, 100% crashes, nothing random here
    Send yourself a mail with a link to an XDA forum thread (like this one for example : [15.03.2012][CF-Root 5.3] KJ*,KK1/9/A,KL1/3/7/8,LA1/3/4/6,LB1,LC1,LP1 - su+bb+CWM5 - Page 104 - xda-developers)
    When email received on the PB, click the lonk, then OK to accept the browser to open the page
    The page will start to load and will *ALWAYS* endup crashing the browser
    Only way to have it loaded is to disable javascript (as suggested by a member of this forum, thanks)
    But some features then become unavailable
    I beleive most crashes are javascript engine related
    Also, my android smartphone, my android tablet and all my PC browsers (Chrome,Opera,Firefox open the page flawlessly) so this is related to the PB's browser, nothing random here. Bought mine 1 month ago and got the system update on first poweron.
    03-28-12 03:17 AM
    It is quite anoying... And happened several times to me.

Normally, when it happens one time, the same day happen more times (never just 1 time).

But no everyday happens, maybe twice or three times a week (using daily).

Also happens with the Facebook App.

Today RIM has released a new Brigde update so hopefully in a few days we have an OS update for our PB that solve it.

Cheers! ;-)
    03-28-12 04:12 AM
    It crashes from time to time but for sure more often with os 2.0
    03-28-12 07:30 AM
404 ... 1112131415 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD