View Poll Results: Does Your Browser Crash and How Often?

Voters
937. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have never experienced any browser crashing problems.

123 13.13%
  • Browser crashes occasionally, but this hasn't bothered me much.

288 30.74%
  • Browser crashes often (e.g a few times a week). More frequently under OS 2.0 than before.

235 25.08%
  • Browser crashes often (e.g a few times a week). Less frequently under OS 2.0 than before.

56 5.98%
  • Browser crashes daily. More frequently under OS 2.0.

217 23.16%
  • Browser crashes daily. Less frequently under OS 2.0.

18 1.92%
    Before os 2 I didn't even know that the playbook browser COULD crash. Now it happens to me almost daily so annoying rim fix this please!!
    dave1701 and BerryDiva like this.
    03-16-12 04:34 PM
    I've had my browser crash maybe 2 times before 2.0. After 2.0 it has crashed numerous times and it gets quite annoying after awhile.
    I didn't root my playbook or sideload apps or any of that so I don't understand what the issue would be.
    dave1701 likes this.
    03-16-12 07:01 PM
    I know ow for a fact that the constant browser crashing is something that they must be well aware of. I have a friend at RIM that was part of the internal beta testing group and he said it's a MAJOR problem with OS2. Between that and the constant checkerboard when loading websites and this crashing problem, even though I truly love BB, I can't deal with this constant problem.
    sagec and dave1701 like this.
    03-16-12 08:44 PM
    It has been happening more and more. Today my little "Buddy" went black as I was showing a customer an item on the internet. Dead as a doornail with at least 60% battery life left. I revived my Buddy by hooking it up to my home pc since it would not charge. It showed the plug but no electrical bolt to say it was charging. I unpluged it and it went dead again. There was 51% battery. I hope I don't have to get the shovel out and find some soft ground to lay him rest. I had been experiencing periodic browser crashes with increasing frequency. Kind of burned out at the moment so any attempt at reviving the Playbook will have to wait until tomorrow. I already tried to do the hard restart with no response, soooooo? what next doctor? difibrilation? mouth to screen resuscitation? electrical enema? or the dreaded return to collect on warrenty?
    03-16-12 09:00 PM
    It has been happening more and more. Today my little "Buddy" went black as I was showing a customer an item on the internet. Dead as a doornail with at least 60% battery life left. I revived my Buddy by hooking it up to my home pc since it would not charge. It showed the plug but no electrical bolt to say it was charging. I unpluged it and it went dead again. There was 51% battery. I hope I don't have to get the shovel out and find some soft ground to lay him rest. I had been experiencing periodic browser crashes with increasing frequency. Kind of burned out at the moment so any attempt at reviving the Playbook will have to wait until tomorrow. I already tried to do the hard restart with no response, soooooo? what next doctor? difibrilation? mouth to screen resuscitation? electrical enema? or the dreaded return to collect on warrenty?
    Yours sounds like a problem that is not restricted to the browser only. I would definitely contact RIM tech support.
    03-17-12 12:11 AM
    I use to get a lot more crashes. But now under OS2 I barely get them.
    03-17-12 12:14 AM
    Thanks for the input, Everybody. Please, do not forget to list the sites you experience crashes most often with.

Per a RIM official, they are investigating the problem and they need more user reports on what websites cause browser instability.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 03-17-12 at 12:39 AM.
    03-17-12 12:15 AM
    They have enough information for pete sakes! I'm sick and tired of these crashes and I'm about ready to throw this in a drawer. I did not have these crashes with 1.8 and now that there has been overwhelming indications of a big problem, all we get is "we'll look into it".
    sagec and BerryDiva like this.
    03-17-12 10:33 AM
    My browser doesn't start to crash until close to a week of being constantly on. As soon as I get a crash I just do a hard rest and good to go for another week or so. It might be related to memory consumption...A reboot once a week probably I needed for those leaving their PB constantly on like me.
    03-17-12 12:08 PM
    To add to the browser crash complaints, I've been experiencing exponentially more browser crashes on 2.0 than I had previously. It has become increasingly more frustrating with each crash. I feel like this is yet again another half-baked OS. So highly frustrated.
    03-18-12 02:08 AM
    Thanks for the input, Everybody. Please, do not forget to list the sites you experience crashes most often with.

Per a RIM official, they are investigating the problem and they need more user reports on what websites cause browser instability.
    RIM can go fly a flipping kite. There's a problem and they need to go fix it; stop asking the customers to provide them with a list of sites on which we're experiencing problems and go figure it out themselves. The browser should work. Period.
    dave1701 likes this.
    03-18-12 02:14 AM
    Mine never crashed prior to 2.0 update. Since, it's happened at least once a day. I just spent the past hour and half researching new cars. It crashed 4 times. Every time was when I touched screen to scroll, just like earlier video that was posted. Very annoying.
    dave1701 likes this.
    03-18-12 02:45 AM
    My browser doesn't start to crash until close to a week of being constantly on. As soon as I get a crash I just do a hard rest and good to go for another week or so. It might be related to memory consumption...A reboot once a week probably I needed for those leaving their PB constantly on like me.
    Hasn't helped me. While certain sites seem to crash regularly, others like CB are much more sporadic. Restart or clearing cache hasn't helped me.
    03-18-12 06:38 AM
    Amazon.com crashes a lot.

I can't repro 100%, but the basic pattern is:

1. Search for a product on amazon.com
    2. Touch the screen and try to scroll
    3. Browser crashes silently

CNN.com

1. Tap the politics link at the top
    2. Tap an article link, crash
    3. Or, tap an article link wait for navigation to complete, then touch to start scrolling, crash

Oh the irony, while typing this on my Torch 9810, I get "input system error, system is being restarted" which happens at leat once a day. OS-wise, BlackBerry quality is definitely sub-par.
    Last edited by sagec; 03-18-12 at 11:03 AM.
    03-18-12 09:36 AM
    Amazon.com crashes a lot.

I can't give exact steps to repro, but the basic pattern is:

1. Search for a product on amazon.com
    2. Touch the screen and try to scroll
    3. Browser crashes silently

CNN.com

1. Tap the politics link at the top
    2. Tap an article link, crash
    3. Or, tap an article link wait for navigation to complete, then touch to start scrolling, crash

Oh the irony, while typing this on my Torch 9810, I get "input system error, system is being restarted" which happens at leat once a day. OS-wise, BlackBerry quality is definitely sub-par.
    So what happens when you turn off one at a time, java script, flash and images?

Edit: Just tried amazon and nothing happens but what should.
    Just on CNN and nothing happens but what should.

Maybe something wrong with yours?
    Last edited by kbz1960; 03-18-12 at 09:43 AM.
    03-18-12 09:38 AM
    I am not able to open Eastlink Webmail Login screen. I tried other websites including banking & Google, they worked fine.
    03-18-12 11:51 AM
    Crash seems to occur when I have three or more tabs going. But, we I re-launch the browser all of my tabs are back.
    sagec likes this.
    03-18-12 12:15 PM
    So what happens when you turn off one at a time, java script, flash and images?

Edit: Just tried amazon and nothing happens but what should.
    Just on CNN and nothing happens but what should.

Maybe something wrong with yours?
    My repro rate is about 20%. Definitely some kind of browser bug.
    03-18-12 12:30 PM
    When I try and use this forums search the drop down menu appears then keyboard and at that point the search menu disappears, you can type something even though you can't see the search box, hit enter and the search happens but for a blank search. It's like the browser can no longer cope with drop down menus with txt entry. Happens on another forum I use too.

Basically it's as if the longer I'm using this the less stable its getting. Reboots don't improve it either.
    03-18-12 07:28 PM
    When I try and use this forums search the drop down menu appears then keyboard and at that point the search menu disappears, you can type something even though you can't see the search box, hit enter and the search happens but for a blank search. It's like the browser can no longer cope with drop down menus with txt entry. Happens on another forum I use too.

Basically it's as if the longer I'm using this the less stable its getting. Reboots don't improve it either.
    Same thing here. Hard to believe that RIM would release their critical OS with bugs in its browser and brand new email client. Shame on you. RIM.
    03-18-12 09:10 PM
    Consistent hang (lock, freeze) by:

1. Visit Feature Films : Free Movies : Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
    2. Tap the letter S under "Browse Titles"

First site I've seen that locks the browser up rather than crashing...
    Last edited by sagec; 03-19-12 at 07:17 AM.
    kennyliu likes this.
    03-19-12 12:07 AM
    Consistent hang by:

1. Visit Feature Films : Free Movies : Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
    2. Tap the letter S under "Browse Titles"

First site I've seen that locks the browser up rather than crashing...
    OOOPS, no "poooof" here, but the browser freezes.

Edit: My HP Touchpad and my Android phone handled the site OK.

Thanks sagec. I have relayed this to the Beta Zone.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 03-19-12 at 12:32 AM.
    03-19-12 12:20 AM
    This is what I got from John as a response to the lists of problematic sites I have been posting in the Beta Zone:

"Thanks! I logged it with development! John"

Just wanted to let you know that your voice doesn't go unheard. Thanks.
    03-19-12 12:31 AM
    This is what I got from John as a response to the lists of problematic sites I have been posting in the Beta Zone:

"Thanks! I logged it with development! John"

Just wanted to let you know that your voice doesn't go unheard. Thanks.
    Heard like the sound of one hand clapping.
    BerryDiva likes this.
    03-19-12 02:47 AM
    Maybe of interest, but I've been experimenting with SimpleBrowser recently. Yesterday, it too went "poof", on the UK Daily Telegraph site if that's relevant.

I am sure there are bugs in the OS2 Browser (e.g. the US Air site mentioned above), but possibly OS2 itself is implicated in not providing a robust environment for these browsers.

Still convinced (but unable to gather evidence LOL) that poor memory management in OS2 is at the root of this.
    03-19-12 03:06 AM
404 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD