View Poll Results: Does Your Browser Crash and How Often?

Voters
937. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have never experienced any browser crashing problems.

123 13.13%
  • Browser crashes occasionally, but this hasn't bothered me much.

288 30.74%
  • Browser crashes often (e.g a few times a week). More frequently under OS 2.0 than before.

235 25.08%
  • Browser crashes often (e.g a few times a week). Less frequently under OS 2.0 than before.

56 5.98%
  • Browser crashes daily. More frequently under OS 2.0.

217 23.16%
  • Browser crashes daily. Less frequently under OS 2.0.

18 1.92%
    There are threads with people reporting browser crashes.

Let's do the poll to see whether you have the problem and whether it has gotten worse or better under the new OS 2.0.

Please, also let us know what you think causes browser crashes on your Playbook (if known or suspected), so that we can get a fuller picture of why the browser may crash.

Please, note that this is an open poll and your response is publicly visible.

------
    Edit (3/13/2012): Here is what John (BlackBerry Project Manager) replied to my post on the Beta Zone:

"Thanks for sharing this! We're especially interested in examples of websites that cause crashes. For random crashes, we're working on increased browser stability.
    Thanks! John
    "

So, please, post the websites you are having most crashes with.

Last edited by kennyliu; 03-13-12 at 10:26 PM.
    03-05-12 12:34 AM
    it used to happen more under PBOS 1.8.
    Now it happens rarely. Almost never acctualy but it does, as any browser does..
    03-05-12 12:36 AM
    Here is what a browser crash looks like:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mERKQlSj8c[/YT]
    03-05-12 12:37 AM
    My PB browser crashes the odd time....Should be a simple bug fix

Lookn' forward to the first bug update...
    graxyq and kennyliu like this.
    03-05-12 12:38 AM
    Mine has crashed a few times since the update, but I'd say it's much less of a problem under OS 2.0 than before.

I can't pinpoint the cause though. It's been random.
    03-05-12 12:40 AM

This isn't a crash its a feature. Its called the "don't be a lemming" feature. Whenever u risk crossing that line from all around tech enthusiast to Apple fanboyism, the Browser closes automatically to try to save you.

U can't disable it.
    03-05-12 12:41 AM
    I personally think the memory management in OS 2.0 isn't good. So that's explain why the browser keeps crashing. But on the other hand, never (in my experience) crash when opening apps.
    Willard814, BlazorBoy and kennyliu like this.
    03-05-12 12:46 AM
    happens to me, but 2.0 is my first PB OS so I can't compare it.
    Willard814 and kennyliu like this.
    03-05-12 12:50 AM
    Under OS2, my browser routinely crashes - it seems that it brings every session to an end, instead of me closing it manually LOL. That might be overstating it, as I'm sure there have been times when it hasn't crashed, but the crash-exit seems to have become "normal" under OS2.

Under 1.08 browser crashes were exceptional events. So much so that when one happened, there was an "Oh, " moment.

I tend to browse with multiple tabs (around 3), and for quite a time (30+ minutes). Nothing else is running in the background (well, nothing I've initiated anyway, but I'm sure OS2 is doing it's thing and it will have tasks running). Given the session length, and anedotal reports that OS2 has a bigger memory footprint, maybe it's a memory management issue?

Whatever the actual cause, it's a very real issue for me.
    03-05-12 12:52 AM
    I've had 2.0 just over a week and my first crash was today trying that smurfberry site. I had one crash with 1.8. I expect more crashes as I've never owned any device that used a browser that didn't every now and then. Every laptop, desktop and tablet previous to my PB has had browser crashes.
    03-05-12 12:56 AM
    Since I received my PlayBook about one week prior to 2.0 release I did not have much experience surfing.

Additionally, I spend 16-18 hours working, and when I get back to my bunk, I do not spend lot of time surfing. So my experience isn't going to be typical of the average use. But I have yet to any issues with the browser. My biggest problem with surfing the web, is just getting connected through the commercial provider here on my camp, it is hit and miss if we have conductivity.
    bbfan1040, Willard814 and kennyliu like this.
    03-05-12 01:05 AM
    I voted occasionally, but really have not had that many times of crashing, maybe once or twice.... unless I try to do something before it has finished loading.
    Since OS2, I have not seen the checker boarding like I did in OS1.

So I am very pleased with the update and the browsing.
    Last edited by jafobabe; 03-05-12 at 01:26 AM.
    bbfan1040, Willard814 and kennyliu like this.
    03-05-12 01:24 AM
    I cheated the 1 answer, because it was the closer to my reality.
    I experienced maybe 2 or 3 crashes since I'm under beta number 2.

Really a question to me to see these threads and I wonder how many of these users (so far, let's say a dozen ?)
    1/ have made a clean upgrade (if beta before, then wipe/debrick prior to 2.0 official upgrade)
    2/ have/had (if not 1/) sideloaded apps
    3/ have rooted their PB

Tired to explain that if you trick the thing, you may get tricky behaviors, so that diagnostic is quite impossible and to get the famous answer " I should not have to wipe ...".
    Chaddface and Willard814 like this.
    03-05-12 02:51 AM
    I'm experiencing crashes many times a day. Either while using other apps or on its own. Actually, it most frequently seems to crash whenever I minimize it or it's running in the background. The frequency is also much higher than with 1.0.
    03-05-12 03:09 AM
    It's happened a couple of times, but not to the point where I thought much of it. Then again, my router and PB haven't been getting along very well lately, so in any particular browsing session I probably will drop my connection before the browser has a chance to crash.

FWIW, I had a clean upgrade, no sideloaded apps, and no rooting.
    Last edited by Swirlz; 03-05-12 at 04:34 AM.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-05-12 04:09 AM
    At least some crashes are NOT memory related. My Internet connection isn't all that fast, so it would take many minutes to overflow any memory limit. Some websites will reliably crash the browser in mere seconds... It's obviously bad code.

As was mention by another, clearing the cache, history, etc. will often cause the browser to crash. Another bug I think.

No big deal. They'll be fixed soon enough.
    03-05-12 04:11 AM
    I have expirienced maybe two browser crashes in 4 months, maybe once since OS2. I think that is pretty typical of any mobile device. I bought a PC a couple weeks after I bought my PB and its stupid browser crashes daily.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-05-12 04:22 AM
    Thanks for informational poll. Very interesting.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-05-12 05:31 AM
    My browser crashes a few times a week. It seems random and doesn't bother me.

There's too many options in this poll. Just make it yes or no.

I picked more on OS2 because I never used the first OS and there's no option for that.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-05-12 05:39 AM
    It's happened a couple of times, but not to the point where I thought much of it. Then again, my router and PB haven't been getting along very well lately, so in any particular browsing session I probably will drop my connection before the browser has a chance to crash.

FWIW, I had a clean upgrade, no sideloaded apps, and no rooting.
    From there I may wonder if the problem is not somehow related to the known BT/Wifi connexion bug. If you're bridged and your wifi is lost, then the browser may attempt - unsuccessfully - to swap to the bridge mode and crash.
    This is what I have in mind and have no proof for that, since my wifi ... never drops.
    You may try to disable bridge when browsing on wifi and see if your browser experience is better (you should the have a "network error" prompt instead of a crash).
    Please return results ... that may be an accurate answer to others if confirmed.
    03-05-12 06:16 AM
    No, that's not it. I ONLY bridge and my browser crashes.

I wouldn't even use the word crash...it force closes. It's not a big deal really.

My Android (on my Thunderbolt) apps did it a lot too.
    Willard814 and kbz1960 like this.
    03-05-12 06:20 AM

That's apple making the browser crash.

You should check out www.icloud.com Apple tells you unless you have an iPhone or Mac you can't access this site.

A.
    03-05-12 06:27 AM
    I experienced one crash and it's to that apple website that has been linked.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-05-12 06:37 AM
    I voted occasionally because I can't say I never happened. There are a few variables that make it it difficult to get accurate results.
    How often do you use the PB browser each day and just as important is what superfly said.
    Really a question to me to see these threads and I wonder how many of these users (so far, let's say a dozen ?)
    1/ have made a clean upgrade (if beta before, then wipe/debrick prior to 2.0 official upgrade)
    2/ have/had (if not 1/) sideloaded apps
    3/ have rooted their PB
    I would suggest to anyone having trouble that they try a clean install via DM. Don't side load anything then see if it's any better.
    Maybe responders could add that information to their post.
    03-05-12 06:46 AM
    I have a clean install. Got my PlayBook with the first OS. Added nothing.

Two days later the OS2 was released. Updated to that.

I have no Android apps or apps from AppWorld.

Browser still does force close.
    03-05-12 06:57 AM
404 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD