View Poll Results: Does Your Browser Crash and How Often?

Voters
937. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have never experienced any browser crashing problems.

123 13.13%
  • Browser crashes occasionally, but this hasn't bothered me much.

288 30.74%
  • Browser crashes often (e.g a few times a week). More frequently under OS 2.0 than before.

235 25.08%
  • Browser crashes often (e.g a few times a week). Less frequently under OS 2.0 than before.

56 5.98%
  • Browser crashes daily. More frequently under OS 2.0.

217 23.16%
  • Browser crashes daily. Less frequently under OS 2.0.

18 1.92%
    it would. but you glossed over the point that my PB isnt crashing that frequently either.

I posted in the other thread (the update one) about maybe this being user error or maybe even something needing a security wipe/reinstall or something because like i said if it isnt happening with EVERY device then i wouldnt consider it a flaw in the device.

Maybe it is just the ones that were made first (if that is possible)...
    (just like the new ipad apparent reception issue may be a fault in only the first batch or so)
    It crashes predictably in certain situations. It is quite clear there is a problem with OS 2.0 update or the browser. With splashtop HD the problem is much worse, often the browser won't even load if multiple applications are running/open. Once the browser begins to crash, the only way to get it back is by rebooting.

My experience with desktop browser is different. It's generally far more stable and I use mostly Chrome. Actually I don't close my browser for weeks on desktop, so I'd say it doesn't crash for weeks while PB's browser crashes almost daily, unless that's the only application I'm running.
    03-28-12 08:02 AM
    My PB is no longer my best friend. It is very tiresome going back to the pages I had up doing some sort of research in different tabs when it crashes. Since launch I have used my PB as my primary device of choice for web browsing.

What happened RIM? I am confident there is a fix coming but dang, mine crashes daily now with no real rhyme or reason. I could have 1 tab up even just doing a random search in google/yahoo and it crashes. I am not a heavy users ie I dont have many pages up or run multiple apps concurrently. I just wake up the device and browse.

RIM fix this asap please. I have seen these kinds of issues before with other s/w releases that got fixed with an update. I am waiting patiently but my level of patience is wearing thin. ARRRRRH!
    03-28-12 08:43 AM
    Just a quick update about this issue, both mine and my wife PBs still crashes every now and then. I would not change what I voted earlier. Definitely the crashes are more with this OS2 update. However, we only observe no more than a few crashes per week. Some week it goes with zero crashes issue.

I have mine up and running without any reboot since March 10! This is the longest since OS2 update. All is going really well.

I believe that there is issue and hope that the new update will fix it.

Cheers
    03-28-12 10:57 AM
    The crashes have annoyed me enough to not use the device near as much as I did. too many times i am browsing and load up a few tabs and then BAMM the are all gone. Its just not reliable at all.

This is after a security wipe and reload about a week ago too. When web browsing is suppose to be a top 3 feature on this device and its failing like it is for many here its going to be hard to keep good customer faith and keep them using the device.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-28-12 11:32 AM
    Well, it's been getting worse lately. Browser crashes pretty much every time I sit down to use the device. Certain apps (News360 for example) crash just as often as well, while other apps (videos, pics, music) never crash.

Also trouble in the app store with large apps never correctly installing updates the first 5 or so times I try.

Love the Playbook when it just works, but that's rare these days.
    03-28-12 12:03 PM
    When web browsing is suppose to be a top 3 feature on this device and its failing like it is for many here its going to be hard to keep good customer faith and keep them using the device.
    Agreed.

I really like my PB a lot but it's really become unreliable to the point that I have considered getting an iPad. I'm not a super fan of iOS but at the very least it's reliable.
    03-28-12 01:33 PM
    Agreed.

I really like my PB a lot but it's really become unreliable to the point that I have considered getting an iPad. I'm not a super fan of iOS but at the very least it's reliable.
    Same here :-(
    03-28-12 03:49 PM
    Very seldom, not more than my iPad.
    03-28-12 05:11 PM
    Very seldom, not more than my iPad.
    What is your secret? Even the forum Mod is having difficulties, can you share it with the rest?

I have experienced zero crashes on my iPad during the time period between the release of PB OS 2.0 and now. Before then I don't recall but never often enough to even recall.

So, what is the frequency of your PB browser crashes, and how much do you use it, or do you use other apps at all together. I assume whatever your answer there is, your iPad's browser crashes MORE often.

I wonder why you even keep your iPad? It crashes more often, you can't use it in your balcony, it causes more problems than your PB, there aren't any Apps on iPad you want to use..
    03-28-12 05:23 PM
    Haven't posted in awhile, but yeah it's literally gotten to the point where I find my Playbook unusable. Not so much that it's 'useless' per se, but when I use it I'm no longer inclined to get any serious work done because I know the browser or other apps will just end up crashing and I might lose any unsaved work or browser tabs. Incredibly frustrating at this point. I know it must be a memory issue, and it seems to me it only happens in apps with Adobe Air.
    03-28-12 05:34 PM
    ^^^ This is the interesting part, conix. Some people don't report crashes or report infrequent crashes whereas more than 55% of respondents report frequent/daily crashes. It's obvious that the problem affects some people more than others. I hope RIM is really checking into why this may be the case.
    03-28-12 05:34 PM
    Actually seems to be decreasing for me,but maybe I'm not browsering as much.
    03-28-12 05:40 PM
    I will say it hasnt crashed at all today...i only used it once for 30 minutes though lol
    03-28-12 05:42 PM
    Frequent rebooting definately helps for me. I haven't had many problems lately also because I am using simplebrowser, although it does crash from time to time too.
    03-28-12 07:27 PM
    ^^^ This is the interesting part, conix. Some people don't report crashes or report infrequent crashes whereas more than 55% of respondents report frequent/daily crashes. It's obvious that the problem affects some people more than others. I hope RIM is really checking into why this may be the case.
    The browser does not crash on me daily, and I responded with second choice but if all owners vote now I'm sure the results would be a little different.

If you use Android Player and multiple applications I think there's a good chance you'll experience the browser crash almost daily. I try not to run multiple applications to avoid this problem altogether and that is helping. When the problem occurs, often I need to reboot to fix that, and it leaves a lasting impression that is difficult to forget. If the recovery is quick and simple, this wouldn't be such a big issue after all.

I'm beginning to think OS 2.0 release is a big failure in terms of stability. Along with the browser issue all my colleagues report the general "sluggish" GUI responses, probably due to the memory issues. Perhaps RIM does recognize these problems and maybe/hopefully the fix is just around the corner (someone said this is possible seeing the bridge update is available).

I can understand now that some people want to go back to 1.08, but I cannot.
    03-28-12 07:29 PM
    I think for mine the rate of crashes definately has to do with use of the android player. In fact, general stability of the whole thing does. If I use the 'roid player in the next few days I usually have trouble with all apps, including the browser, games and native apps too. I hope that they put a way to turn off the android virtual machine without taking the 4 minutes to reboot.
    03-28-12 07:37 PM
    If you are pushing memory thru actual multitasking, such as browser open on several pages, calendar open, mail being received, then the browser will go down. My Ipad, cannot keep this open all at the same time, thus less crashes. However, when I change my settings to stop apps when not full screen, I have never crashed my playbook. SO that being said, I watch what I have multitasking, and try not to do 5 things at once. Its hard as I am a VERY BUSY DUDE (). I wonder when a mem managing app will show up. Or maybe there is one that I am not aware of. Oh well, I still love the ability to listen to a video while answering emails, while surfing the web.

03-28-12 08:01 PM
    also - I forgot - I have started to use the dolphin browser. It hasn't crashed on me, but also, I have found that it accesses the mobile versions of the webpages when applicable. So perhaps there is a point to native browser crashes there as well.

03-28-12 08:03 PM
    Crashed 5 times tonight in the space of 3hrs browsing.

Please fix this rim.
    03-28-12 09:51 PM
    Where's "Hourly" or "Multiple times a day" since O2 Beta?

Glad to see the pole though...

Tim
    03-28-12 10:44 PM
    Here's my suggestion. I, too, was having quite a few crashes. I stopped using the bezel scrolling technique, and I set my Application Behaviour in General settings to Paused instead of Showcase. For what it's worth, the crashes haven't returned since. Java and flash are always on. I love my Playbook and have encouraged several people to get one and they love theirs too.
    03-28-12 10:59 PM
    I can understand now that some people want to go back to 1.08, but I cannot.
    Yup, as I posted in another thread, I'd go back to 1.08 in a heartbeat.

I got a few "Are you a crazy person?" replies to that post... and added a link to this thread as a partial answer for my desire to go back to 1.08.

I love the OS2 UI and Android is a nice touch, but overall Playbook stability is now very poor - as this poll I think shows.

My bullet-proof PB, that in 1.08-days I used to show my buddies with pride is now shot full of holes. I've already experienced a browser crash at exactly the wrong moment, and the eternity of time that is the reboot (the only thing that resets the crash clock for me)... left my previously impressed buddy shaking his head in disbelief.

I think it would be fair to say that he won't be buying a PB anytime soon.

Back on topic, browser stability for me is now better, but that's for all the wrong reasons - I simply don't use my PB browser anymore except for quick google search browsing. The browser isn't used for more than a few minutes a day, so it doesn't have time to crash!
    dave1701 likes this.
    03-29-12 01:23 AM
    also - I forgot - I have started to use the dolphin browser. It hasn't crashed on me, but also, I have found that it accesses the mobile versions of the webpages when applicable. So perhaps there is a point to native browser crashes there as well.

Hi, tried that one too, it works but unbearably slow :-(
    Does not even come close to native android usage of the app :-(
    03-29-12 04:47 AM
    Here's my suggestion. I, too, was having quite a few crashes. I stopped using the bezel scrolling technique, and I set my Application Behaviour in General settings to Paused instead of Showcase. For what it's worth, the crashes haven't returned since. Java and flash are always on. I love my Playbook and have encouraged several people to get one and they love theirs too.
    Hi, thanks for the suggestion, just tried ("Paused" mode) after a long and fresh reboot and ... XDA forums still crashes :-(
    03-29-12 04:56 AM
    Here is another crashing site. Thanks to Lindstorom:

Please try:

go to: Evry - EVRY
    on the left side there is a fly-out menu "Business Insight" - choose any of the items on that menu and see what happens... it works on all desktop browsers I have tried, and also on all BB phone browsers I have tried (OS6, OS7 & OS 7.1) .. but it crashes the browser on my PB every single time...
    Crashes 100% of the time.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 03-29-12 at 02:41 PM.
    03-29-12 02:06 PM
404 ... 1213141516 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD