View Poll Results: Does Your Browser Crash and How Often?

Voters
937. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have never experienced any browser crashing problems.

123 13.13%
  • Browser crashes occasionally, but this hasn't bothered me much.

288 30.74%
  • Browser crashes often (e.g a few times a week). More frequently under OS 2.0 than before.

235 25.08%
  • Browser crashes often (e.g a few times a week). Less frequently under OS 2.0 than before.

56 5.98%
  • Browser crashes daily. More frequently under OS 2.0.

217 23.16%
  • Browser crashes daily. Less frequently under OS 2.0.

18 1.92%
    How many things do people have open that have it happen a lot? Some numbers off of mine for free memory.

585 nothing open

500 native email

401 browser crackberry home page

328 browser (same) and native email

308 browser (same + 1 tab) and native email

242 browser (same) and native email and docs to go word
    kennyliu likes this.
    03-20-12 06:18 PM
    How many things do people have open that have it happen a lot? Some numbers off of mine for free memory.

585 nothing open

500 native email

401 browser crackberry home page

328 browser (same) and native email

308 browser (same + 1 tab) and native email

242 browser (same) and native email and docs to go word
    I'll report mine later.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 03-20-12 at 06:48 PM.
    03-20-12 06:26 PM
    my browser was shutting down all day today randomly. I got to my messages app and bam browser with some tabs open is gone completely. I know RIM got rid of the "low memory" warnings long time ago but they didnt actually fix the problem. Guess i am not surprised

I will report back the findings of the above post in a little while
    03-20-12 06:46 PM
    my browser was shutting down all day today randomly. I got to my messages app and bam browser with some tabs open is gone completely. I know RIM got rid of the "low memory" warnings long time ago but they didnt actually fix the problem. Guess i am not surprised

I will report back the findings of the above post in a little while
    I also had more poofs today than usual with my same use.
    03-20-12 06:50 PM
    570 nothing open

472 native email

399 browser crackberry home page

318 browser (same) and native email

302 browser (same + 1 tab) and native email

220 browser (same) and native email and docs to go word

I noticed that today when it kept crashing it was around 150 MB or so
    03-20-12 07:40 PM
    570 nothing open

472 native email

399 browser crackberry home page

318 browser (same) and native email

302 browser (same + 1 tab) and native email

220 browser (same) and native email and docs to go word

I noticed that today when it kept crashing it was around 150 MB or so BUT it was only the browser and the messages app. The numbers above are after a reboot. before i rebooted it was only 400ish instead of the 570 with nothing open. No android apps running today either.
    03-20-12 07:40 PM
    My browser forced closed a lot today! More than I've ever seen it do.
    03-20-12 07:53 PM
    Try deleting all bookmarks - I've been hearing rumours this might help.

I'd do it myself but mine only crashes once a week or so.

PM me if this helps.
    03-20-12 08:11 PM
    532 nothing open

392 browser on this site

308 browse and messages

291 above plus extra web page tab

240 above plus docs to go word on blank doc
    03-20-12 08:17 PM
    590 nothing open

510 native email

473 browser crackberry home page

400 browser (same) and native email

383 browser (same + 1 Crackberry home page tab) and native email

322 browser (one Crackberry page open) and native email and docs to go word

Now, the tabs:

473 browser crackberry home page

443 browser crackberry home page + engadget home page

431 browser crackberry home page + engadget home page + yahoo home page

427 browser crackberry home page + engadget home page + yahoo home page + youtube homepage

427 browser crackberry home page + engadget home page + yahoo home page + youtube homepage + wikipedia english main page

Note: I have both Flash and Javascript disabled.

So it is definitely not a memory shortage that explains crashes on my Playbook. I rarely open more than 1 or 2 tabs and almost never multitask.
    03-20-12 08:32 PM
    269 browser crackberry home page + engadget home page + yahoo home page + youtube homepage + wikipedia english main page

Plus this page in a tab. Flash and java script on.
    03-20-12 08:39 PM
    Now I'm down to 322 with just the browser open on this page only.

And 250 browser and email.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 03-20-12 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Add email
    03-20-12 08:41 PM
    So it is definitely not a memory shortage that explains crashes on my Playbook. I rarely open more than 1 or 2 tabs and almost never multitask.
    Some people have opined that "poor memory management" is the issue. Well, yes and no. As you say, it's not a memory shortage, aka, OutOfMemoryException, at least by and large.

It's called access violations due to buffer overruns, double-frees, null pointer dereferencing, etc. that type of "poor memory management" which I believe is crashing the browser. I really wouldn't be surprised to find that the majority of those stem from Adobe's Flash code, not RIM's browser code...
    kennyliu and JeepBB like this.
    03-20-12 08:43 PM
    My browser forced closed a lot today! More than I've ever seen it do.
    Mine were all using bridge. Funny how some days it happens more than others. Hope RIM is on to it.
    03-20-12 08:44 PM
    its almost like its not reclaiming the memory correctly. Everything is fine in our little test but then after a couple hours you open just the browser and maybe 2 tabs and you are down to under 250 in no time.
    03-20-12 08:53 PM
    its almost like its not reclaiming the memory correctly. Everything is fine in our little test but then after a couple hours you open just the browser and maybe 2 tabs and you are down to under 250 in no time.
    That would tally with some reports that the problem gets worse over time.

Those kind of "memory leaks" are very common bugs due mostly to sloppy coding (I'm embarassed to confess that I'm guilty of doing it myself! )

Easy to identify (run a program, the amount of reported free memory gets less after each run), but much harder to spot exactly which bit of your program isn't playing nicely.

And, whilst I agree with sagec's post above, I'm not sure I'd point the finger at Adobe quite yet.

The OS2 browser must contain a lot of new code. Even if it did it get a new lump of Flash code in OS2, OS1.08 with Flash was rock-solid... and several reporting the OS2 browser crash have disabled Flash.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 03-21-12 at 02:58 PM.
    03-21-12 08:16 AM
    i agree its from "sloppy" programming for the most part but when its this critical to your devices performance i would think they would be better. THis is an OS that is almost 1 year old from its release and its still very much a beta OS from the feel and functionality.
    sagec, JeepBB and BerryDiva like this.
    03-21-12 09:51 AM
    Yup, mine crashed while on bridge too. I haven't rebooted the PlayBook in days. Maybe that will help.

And I discovered that the sites I'm having trouble loading, load fine when on wifi.

I can use my neighbors unsecured wifi when I need to. But I don't like doing that.
    03-21-12 10:54 AM
    Still scratching my head that this hasn't made it to the front page of CrackBerry.

The poll has nearly 750 respondents, with 86% reporting crashes...
    03-21-12 12:01 PM
    Haven't had a browser crash since doing a security wipe a few days ago.. Still early but 100% improvement so far
    03-21-12 12:03 PM
    Still scratching my head that this hasn't made it to the front page of CrackBerry.

Yup... even on a BB fansite, you'd think it might warrant a mention?

When forum mods are posting in this thread, and RIM's PB Dev Manager has admitted that "browser stability" (*cough* that's "crashes" in non-PR speak ) needs improvement, you'd think it might be worth a brief note on the front page.

I'd say I'm surprised, but that would be lying. And lying is one of the many things my Mum told me not to do!
    03-21-12 02:55 PM

And that means that if it crashed only one time since you've owned it, it'll be on the report. I don't think there are too many devices who's browser hasn't crashed at least one time. Going by your logic, I think every device that has a browser, that particular devices website should have their front page saying something very similar............
    03-21-12 03:13 PM
    And that means that if it crashed only one time since you've owned it, it'll be on the report. I don't think there are too many devices who's browser hasn't crashed at least one time. Going by your logic, I think every device that has a browser, that particular devices website should have their front page saying something very similar............
    Erm... no, it wouldn't.

You are correct. Every browser, on every platform, that I've ever used has crashed.

Which is why the poll doesn't ask if you've ever had a crash, it asks whether you have repeated crashes. Something over 80% of respondents say their Playbook's browser crashes regularly in OS2 - many crash several times a week or (in my case) several times a day!

I don't believe that's normal or acceptable. And evidently, neither does RIM's PB Manager.

But I remain unsurprised that, like you, CrackBerry don't consider it news-worthy.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 03-21-12 at 03:39 PM.
    03-21-12 03:31 PM
    Erm... no, it wouldn't.

You are correct. Every browser, on every platform, that I've ever used has crashed.

Which is why the poll doesn't ask if you've ever had a crash, it asks whether you have repeated crashes. Something over 80% of respondents say their Playbook's browser crashes regularly in OS2 - many crash several times a week or (in my case) several times a day!

I don't believe that's normal or acceptable. And evidently, neither does RIM's PB Manager.

But I remain unsurprised that, like you evidently, CrackBerry don't consider it news-worthy.
    Please enlighten me where is says "repeated" crashes?
    03-21-12 03:40 PM
    Please enlighten me where is says "repeated" crashes?
    In the poll choices...

It's pretty specific.

It does seem a common occurrence. Personally, it doesn't me too much. It just is a little inconvenience.

I got force closes on my Android all the time. Just takes a second to reopen.

I'm more concerned with the 9930 bricking than this, or the lack of Power Points with animations working on the PlayBook.
    03-21-12 03:52 PM
404 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD