View Poll Results: Does Your Browser Crash and How Often?

Voters
937. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have never experienced any browser crashing problems.

123 13.13%
  • Browser crashes occasionally, but this hasn't bothered me much.

288 30.74%
  • Browser crashes often (e.g a few times a week). More frequently under OS 2.0 than before.

235 25.08%
  • Browser crashes often (e.g a few times a week). Less frequently under OS 2.0 than before.

56 5.98%
  • Browser crashes daily. More frequently under OS 2.0.

217 23.16%
  • Browser crashes daily. Less frequently under OS 2.0.

18 1.92%
    What's weird is that my browser never crashes when I'm really loading the browser with 5+ tabs open. Usually it happens when it's least expected. For example, I would have only Crackberry page open, minding my own business, surfing around, and then...poof.

As of late, my browser has been on a role, crashing quite often.
    03-19-12 04:25 AM
    Yeah, I'd like to change my vote to Yes. Browser has been crashing more often and last night it crashed twice the AMC Storysync site during The Walking Dead.
    03-19-12 08:23 AM
    My Playbook never crashed until the release of OS2. Now it crashes a couple of times a day.
    dave1701 likes this.
    03-19-12 09:05 AM
    Ironic.... I spotted an interesting link to a tablet review for those who 'don't want an ipad' by a well known tv show.5FWD - Five iPad alternatives for non-Apple fans by The Gadget Show

Last month they did a piece on tablets the day before os2 came out and so PlayBook got slated vs others. So I confidently opened the link expecting PlayBook os2 to be there to find it was just a list of android tablets... Annoyed by this blatantly unfair journalists ignorance I began filling in a comment about the piece, pointing out what they had missed.....halfway through my diatribe...bloody PlayBook browser froze on me and had to reboot the device. Perhaps they're right to ignore PlayBook :s... I love it but it's really unreliable now.
    03-19-12 09:58 AM
    Browser just crashed for the third time today with either 1 or 2 tabs open. Really frustrating.

Google.com

Bing.com
    03-19-12 02:46 PM
    Heard like the sound of one hand clapping.
    Let's wait for the update and see what it brings about. Then, we'll know if they've heard us or not.
    03-19-12 07:52 PM
    Simplebrowser does crash, but not nearly as much as the Native for me. I've noticed that the crashes in the Native browser get more and more frequent as I use the playbook for a couple days. Along with the browser, overall stability decreases too, as does available ram. This keeps on until I reboot, which starts the whole process over again.
    03-19-12 08:59 PM
    This is what I got from John as a response to the lists of problematic sites I have been posting in the Beta Zone:

"Thanks! I logged it with development! John"

Just wanted to let you know that your voice doesn't go unheard. Thanks.
    OK, can you please forward my #1 crash site for investigation as well? It is my horse wagering racing site. I have to log in at least 2 to 3 times before my account works. Was never like that with the old OS.

HorsePlayer Interactive

However, my PB crashes 95% more times when I actually just use the "Clear All" button when I'm getting rid of old history, cache and cookies. POOF.

Thanks
    Last edited by Mr_Figaro; 03-19-12 at 09:04 PM.
    kennyliu likes this.
    03-19-12 09:00 PM
    OK, can you please forward my #1 crash site for investigation as well? It is my horse wagering racing site. I have to log in at least 2 to 3 times before my account works. Was never like that with the old OS.

HorsePlayer Interactive

However, my PB crashes 95% more times when I actually just use the "Clear All" button when I'm getting rid of old history, cache and cookies. POOF.

Thanks
    Will do....
    03-19-12 09:51 PM
    QNX Developer Support - Finding Memory Errors

When your program runs, the process manager reserves the full stack in virtual memory, but not in physical memory. Instead, the process manager requests additional blocks of physical memory only when your program actually needs more stack memory. As one function calls another, the state of the calling function is pushed onto the stack. When the function returns, the local variables and parameters are popped off the stack.

The used portion of the stack holds your thread's state information and takes up physical memory. The unused portion of the stack is initially allocated in virtual address space, but not physical memory: At the end of each virtual stack is a guard page that the microkernel uses to detect stack overflows. If your program writes to an address within the guard page, the microkernel detects the error and sends the process a SIGSEGV signal.

As with other types of memory, the stack memory appears to be contiguous in virtual process memory, but not necessarily so in physical memory.
    I think its a problem with Flash since a webpage can put in several load requests on the browser for multiple Flash elements from various source in return putting a load on the browser and crashing.. Just guessing.. But im sure this browser crash is due to memory mapping error.
    03-20-12 12:18 AM
    QNX Developer Support - Finding Memory Errors

I think its a problem with Flash since a webpage can put in several load requests on the browser for multiple Flash elements from various source in return putting a load on the browser and crashing.. Just guessing.. But im sure this browser crash is due to memory mapping error.
    I don't know what explains crashes for other people, but Flash is not the culprit on mine. I have it disabled.

But you are probably right about memory management being the likely cause. Or a weak code in the browser app.
    03-20-12 12:22 AM
    On the old OS, both my wife's and my playbook browser worked great. I don't think the browser ever crashed.

Under OS2, both of our playbook browsers crash like crazy. To the point that we don't even use them to surf the net anymore. This sucks pretty bad as web browsing was the main use for these tablets.

Hope RIM fixes this soon, or I am going to have to buy an ipad or something to get my wife off my back.
    03-20-12 03:56 AM
    I must be living a charmed life, since I can still honestly say that I have never had a browser crash on either OS1 or 2. Android player, yes, but browser never. I'll try some of the "problem" sites and see.
    allhookedup likes this.
    03-20-12 06:18 AM
    I must be living a charmed life, since I can still honestly say that I have never had a browser crash on either OS1 or 2. Android player, yes, but browser never. I'll try some of the "problem" sites and see.
    Be careful what you wish for!

There doesn't seem to any common denominator except that a few people have reported that the crash happens more often after a few days, or after lengthy browsing sessions.

RIM (on a different thread) provided the advice to regularly clear the caches - on a daily basis - which tells a story right there. I now have my cache set to retain for 1 day... still crashes.

A few have also pointed the finger at memory management on the PB. I suspect only RIM have the software tools to monitor free memory in real-time, but RIM themselves seem to acknowledge that the problem is real - though they use the more acceptable term "browser stability".

I honestly hope that you continue to never see a browser crash. There's too many of us in this club already!
    03-20-12 07:24 AM
    Be careful what you wish for!

There doesn't seem to any common denominator except that a few people have reported that the crash happens more often after a few days, or after lengthy browsing sessions.

RIM (on a different thread) provided the advice to regularly clear the caches - on a daily basis - which tells a story right there. I now have my cache set to retain for 1 day... still crashes.

A few have also pointed the finger at memory management on the PB. I suspect only RIM have the software tools to monitor free memory in real-time, but RIM themselves seem to acknowledge that the problem is real - though they use the more acceptable term "browser stability".

I honestly hope that you continue to never see a browser crash. There's too many of us in this club already!
    I think setting history to only keep 1 day has nothing to do with cache or storage, only the list of places visited. I could very well be wrong.
    03-20-12 07:40 AM
    I think setting history to only keep 1 day has nothing to do with cache or storage, only the list of places visited. I could very well be wrong.
    Ooops... yes, sorry. I think I had a bit of brain-slip as I wrote that, and you are correct.

I've set my history to 1 day, and I also clear my caches daily too. It still crashes but, if I'm honest it doesn't seem to crash every time as it seemed to before! LOL

However, I'm not sure that regularly crashing several times a week is any more acceptable than crashing several times a day... and my PB still has bad days where the browser'll crash several times.
    03-20-12 07:49 AM
    Ooops... yes, sorry. I think I had a bit of brain-slip as I wrote that, and you are correct.

I've set my history to 1 day, and I also clear my caches daily too. It still crashes and, if I'm honest it doesn't seem to crash every time as it seemed to before! LOL

However, I'm not sure that regularly crashing several times a week is any more acceptable than crashing several times a day... and my PB still has bad days where the browser'll crash several times.
    LOL. Yep. I wiped mine and am experimenting and will post what I find when I am done but by then there will probably be an update that addresses it.
    03-20-12 07:53 AM
    I am somewhat glad its not just my PB.
    Seems to happen at any time. Sometimes after a short session (just browsing normal websites) sometimes after an hour or so if I have left the PB on and resume browsing.
    I cant pinpoint anything on the websites I visit that would cause this, some have flash some do not.
    03-20-12 08:34 AM
    There's a few sites I try to visit that the PlayBook just can't load. Does anyone know why? It will either just take forever and when it loads it is all text. Or I get a network error. It's the same site consistently.

Suggestions?
    03-20-12 12:06 PM
    whats the site?
    03-20-12 12:10 PM
    I'll PM it to you. Maybe you can see if it doesn't load on your PlayBook too. Thanks.
    03-20-12 12:16 PM
    Oh a secret site.

Chrisy have you tried with images, java script and flash off or simple browser or secure browser?
    03-20-12 12:21 PM
    Yes, I have tried with all that turned off. Have you found any sites that load super slowly, or incorrectly?
    03-20-12 12:25 PM
    Yes I have but don't remember which ones now. This site can be a pain at times but it can be on my lappy too.
    03-20-12 12:29 PM
    It seems to crash less with Flash off.
    Also if I shutdown Bluetooth and thus the bridge it seems more stable.
    I find if the browser crashes I also cannot open native mail client, it keeps shutting down when I open it.
    03-20-12 06:13 PM
404 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD