View Poll Results: Does Your Browser Crash and How Often?

Voters
937. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have never experienced any browser crashing problems.

123 13.13%
  • Browser crashes occasionally, but this hasn't bothered me much.

288 30.74%
  • Browser crashes often (e.g a few times a week). More frequently under OS 2.0 than before.

235 25.08%
  • Browser crashes often (e.g a few times a week). Less frequently under OS 2.0 than before.

56 5.98%
  • Browser crashes daily. More frequently under OS 2.0.

217 23.16%
  • Browser crashes daily. Less frequently under OS 2.0.

18 1.92%
    I've had my playbook since the beginning of january. I find that the browser crashes enough to be irritating as #*@+. Which is probably three or four times a week of daily use. I don't know what people are talking about when they say that this is normal for browsers as i haven't experienced crashes with internet explorer for a few years. Yes, i use internet explorer.

I am trying hard to like this thing, and was super anticipating os 2.0, only to be somewhat completely disappointed. How many times have i hit one of the guessed words while typing? How many times have i had to click and re-click links with no response? How irritating is it to try to place the cursor? Well, less irritating now thanks to 2.0, but still pretty annoying. Why can't i disable auto capitalization?

Sigh. I hate apple and am done supporting their chinese labour camps, but coming from my ipod touch to this is a bit of a step down as far as options and responsiveness goes. It's hard to believe that i find typing on a tiny lil ipod keyboard easier than the playbook.
    03-11-12 03:06 PM
    I've had my playbook since the beginning of january. I find that the browser crashes enough to be irritating as #*@+. Which is probably three or four times a week of daily use. I don't know what people are talking about when they say that this is normal for browsers as i haven't experienced crashes with internet explorer for a few years. Yes, i use internet explorer.

I am trying hard to like this thing, and was super anticipating os 2.0, only to be somewhat completely disappointed. How many times have i hit one of the guessed words while typing? How many times have i had to click and re-click links with no response? How irritating is it to try to place the cursor? Well, less irritating now thanks to 2.0, but still pretty annoying. Why can't i disable auto capitalization?

Sigh. I hate apple and am done supporting their chinese labour camps, but coming from my ipod touch to this is a bit of a step down as far as options and responsiveness goes. It's hard to believe that i find typing on a tiny lil ipod keyboard easier than the playbook.
    Agree agree a real disappointment.
    03-11-12 09:23 PM

If you going to troll at least be good at it.... Easier to type on ipod than playbook must have something to do with your personal capacity about using a full keyboard...and as you said.. Lil tiny.....ipod for little tiny trolls! Gizza break....
    Last edited by currentodysseys; 03-11-12 at 09:45 PM.
    03-11-12 09:42 PM

You have valid points here. For SOME of us, browser crashing is a serious problem, and no, we don't believe that the frequency of crashes is normal/acceptable. We want RIM to look into the issue (no need to be mad, the PB can have issues) and fix it in the next update.

I would also like an option to disable auto-capitalization. But, in your case, why not completely disable auto-correction and auto-suggestion? It looks like you'll be better off without those enabled.

As for labor camps, you do know that the Playbook is not made in Switzerland by workers who get paid 150 Swiss francs an hour, and who work a 35-hour week and have a 3-month paid vacation a year, right? I hope you also do understand that those people working at those factories work there voluntarily because the alternatives they have are probably worse.

As for hating companies in general ... Well, I won't give you any advice here. It's your life and your health.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 03-11-12 at 10:15 PM.
    03-11-12 10:01 PM
    Mine crashes just about daily under os2 so I voted daily. I can't seem to find any obvious reason for it, it appears random - some websites will routinely crash it, not sure why. It seems worse now then before os2. Even crackberry crashes every once in a while. I think it is worse than android on my galaxy s2, because when os2 crashes it just disappears. Less frequently android crashes, and when it does it usually locks up and I have to force close... That seems less irritating when it does happen for some reason. I hate it when the browser just disappears.
    Last edited by cathulu15; 03-11-12 at 10:40 PM.
    03-11-12 10:31 PM
    On occasion my browser crashes, usually because of a lack of ram, If its one of 3 or less apps open, it usually doesn't crash. I think qnx is extremely power hungry on available memory. Hope it gets straightened out with the phones.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    03-11-12 10:37 PM
    I haven't had any crashes since turning off flash. It's a memory hog, and usually not that useful.
    03-12-12 08:16 AM
    I'm getting the crash more frequently now. Almost daily. I'll bring up the youtube website or Decorah Eagles, Ustream.TV: Email addresses for both Moderated Chat and Social Stream to provide feedback or to contact RRP. moderatedchat@raptorresource.... website and before they can even come up I have experienced the crash. I removed the OS 2.0 several times and went back to reinstall dates of 2/22, right after the new system came out and continue to experience the crashes. I did not have those crashes on the previous system and had been using mine since the PB came available last spring. I don't know if RIM monitors this site, but this issue gets the most attention and should be looked into or at least responded to by them.
    03-12-12 01:46 PM
    I'm getting the crash more frequently now. Almost daily. I'll bring up the youtube website or Decorah Eagles, Ustream.TV: Email addresses for both Moderated Chat and Social Stream to provide feedback or to contact RRP. moderatedchat@raptorresource.... website and before they can even come up I have experienced the crash. I removed the OS 2.0 several times and went back to reinstall dates of 2/22, right after the new system came out and continue to experience the crashes. I did not have those crashes on the previous system and had been using mine since the PB came available last spring. I don't know if RIM monitors this site, but this issue gets the most attention and should be looked into or at least responded to by them.
    Although I suspect somebody at RIM monitors sites like Crackberry (would be inefficient not to do so), I have also posted a reference to this thread on RIM's support website and mentioned the problem in my survey. I hope those who are experiencing the problem will also do the same. Thanks.
    jclark1021 likes this.
    03-12-12 02:11 PM
    Although I suspect somebody at RIM monitors sites like Crackberry (would be inefficient not to do so), I have also posted a reference to this thread on RIM's support website and mentioned the problem in my survey. I hope those who are experiencing the problem will also do the same. Thanks.
    I dont know why do you all facing this problem with browser.
    I am using 2.0 from first day it was launced but till nw i nvr ever faced this problem. But most of you are facing it. It may be cause of sum bug in update.

I want to mention one thing here that when I installed 2.0 update on my PB64GB I got another one more update after that saying something like I need to install it to get my pb working properly in my country (United Kingdom).
    But on my another PB32GB which was rooted when I installed 2.0 update first time, my browser was being crashed then I reinstall the update and till now it works fine.
    You may try this solution if you want.
    kennyliu likes this.
    03-12-12 02:28 PM
    I dont know why do you all facing this problem with browser.
    I am using 2.0 from first day it was launced but till nw i nvr ever faced this problem. But most of you are facing it. It may be cause of sum bug in update.

I want to mention one thing here that when I installed 2.0 update on my PB64GB I got another one more update after that saying something like I need to install it to get my pb working properly in my country (United Kingdom).
    But on my another PB32GB which was rooted when I installed 2.0 update first time, my browser was being crashed then I reinstall the update and till now it works fine.
    You may try this solution if you want.
    Thanks for the suggestion. If you read the entire thread, you'll see that some people still report crashes even after wiping/debricking.

Same goes for other suspected causes. The poster above noted that with Flash disabled, he has never had his browser crash. I also have Flash disabled, but I still get the crashes. I also don't have any sideloaded or Android apps.

I'd say that what partially explains why some people have the problem and some don't is the usage (e.g. different websites people visit). But even with that, we have people reporting crashes on certain websites (e.g. Crackberry forums), whereas others can't replicate crashes on those websites.

So it must be a combination of things.
    03-12-12 03:35 PM
    Can't get it work properly, whatever option I enable/disable in the settings,
    Any link like "http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1516515&goto=newpost" will crash the browser *AND* all other running apps
    Only workaround I found is use Maxthon Browser (slow and lagy though)

In my daily browsing, XDA is the only one giving me issues
    03-13-12 05:50 AM
    Can't get it work properly, whatever option I enable/disable in the settings,
    Any link like "http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1516515&goto=newpost" will crash the browser *AND* all other running apps
    Only workaround I found is use Maxthon Browser (slow and lagy though)

In my daily browsing, XDA is the only one giving me issues
    Same for me. XDA forums is the one site that will always cause the browser to crash. Extremely annoying.
    03-13-12 06:17 AM
    Please click the button to report this as a news tip to CrackBerry. I think if we could get a few people to do that we could get a headline and response.
    03-13-12 07:50 AM
    I haven't been able to identify a consistent pattern that correlates with crashes. I've had a ton of 'em though. By far more than any previous OS version. I rarely have any other apps or window open, so it shouldn't be related to ROM. It eventually crashes with all kinds of sites, so it doesn't seem to be related to certain sites.

Annoying as . I often use my PB to take online training sessions for CEUs. Most are 1 hour courses followed by short exams. Imagine how frustrating it is to devote 45 minutes to something, then poof, all gone. I silently curse RIM when I'm forced to start over.

I've had my PB since release, and recently purchased another for my wife. She has crashes too, and thus far she has been less than impressed with her PB. Excusing this lack of core functionality is bewildering. A reliable browser is probably the most important feature needed in a tab. I won't say this OS is one step forward, two steps back. But I sure feel like it's two steps forward one step back.
    BlazorBoy and sagec like this.
    03-13-12 08:04 AM
    ... A reliable browser is probably the most important feature needed in a tab ...
    100% agreed, this is horribly annoying :-(

Saw no official statement about this by RIM and no update scheduled ...
    03-13-12 08:28 AM
    Tell Canada that winter is over so they can come out of hibernation and get there $:;" together.
    03-13-12 09:40 PM
    Crashing is an issue for me, too. I went a week without it crashing but today it crashed at least 3 times. 2 of the were on CB. All of the with no other app open and only one tab. I did happen to start up and use the android player today... That could be it... Either way, it really needs a fix in am update soon. My os2 playbook is becoming more useful with more apps and features, but this browser is killing the productivity of it all.
    03-13-12 10:03 PM
    Mine crashes and i have no android apps or player.
    03-13-12 10:11 PM
    Thanks to everybody for the input. Don't forget to raise the issue with RIM.

You may want to post on Blackberry Support website as well:

BlackBerry� PlayBook
    03-13-12 10:14 PM
    mine crashes often.
    not sure what cause it.
    i look forward to the fix, though.
    03-13-12 10:16 PM
    Btw, here is what John (BlackBerry Project Manager) replied to my post on the Beta Zone:

"Thanks for sharing this! We're especially interested in examples of websites that cause crashes. For random crashes, we're working on increased browser stability.
    Thanks!

John
    "

So, please, post the websites you are having most crashes with.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 03-13-12 at 10:23 PM.
    sagec likes this.
    03-13-12 10:16 PM
    Tell Canada that winter is over so they can come out of hibernation and get there $:;" together.
    I just couldn't help myself

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4baX8NfOEP0[/YT]
    BlazorBoy and dave1701 like this.
    03-14-12 03:30 AM
    Btw, here is what John (BlackBerry Project Manager) replied to my post on the Beta Zone:

"Thanks for sharing this! We're especially interested in examples of websites that cause crashes. For random crashes, we're working on increased browser stability.
    Thanks!

John
    "

Thanks again.
    Finally!, official RIM acknowledgement that the browser crashing seen by 80% of the respondents to this poll isn't a mass hallucination and recognition that browser crashing isn't to be regarded as "normal" or acceptable.

For me, it's unpredictable, so I can't give a specific list of websites as none of them will 100% cause a crash. CrackBerry is a frequent crasher, as are sites containing heavy flash content and/or with embedded video. (lack of memory implicated?)

The real annoyance is that all of these sites were handled without any problems on the previous browser. Maybe RIM should bring the 1.08 browser back, and sort out the OS2 Browser problems internally?

Being a Playbook Beta Tester is getting old.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 03-14-12 at 03:49 AM.
    03-14-12 03:37 AM
    CrackBerry.com

Computerforum.com

dreamviews.com

Wjr.com

YouTube.com
    It has crashed many, many times but I those are just the ones I have first thought of.

So much for my android player theory. After crashing several times right after I initialized the android player, I thought thats what was causing the problem. After the PB refused to open the Native email and went crazy and became unstable, I just went ahead and rebooted it. After the reboot, I typed a CB post, hit submit, and *poof. I do think the android player may have been responsible for the crazy ui problems and the email failure though.
    Last edited by dave1701; 03-14-12 at 04:46 PM.
    kennyliu likes this.
    03-14-12 04:42 PM
404 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD