View Poll Results: Does Your Browser Crash and How Often?

Voters
937. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have never experienced any browser crashing problems.

123 13.13%
  • Browser crashes occasionally, but this hasn't bothered me much.

288 30.74%
  • Browser crashes often (e.g a few times a week). More frequently under OS 2.0 than before.

235 25.08%
  • Browser crashes often (e.g a few times a week). Less frequently under OS 2.0 than before.

56 5.98%
  • Browser crashes daily. More frequently under OS 2.0.

217 23.16%
  • Browser crashes daily. Less frequently under OS 2.0.

18 1.92%
    I think it might be related to android player. Mine is crashing when I go to a link set in my e-mail yahoo android app.
    03-05-12 07:07 PM
    My browser is definitely crashing more often with 2.0 than it did prior. Before it only happened a handful of times since getting a PlayBook for Christmas. Since updating to 2.0 it happens daily. In fact, it crashed when I clicked on the link to this post. How funny is that? It is the fourth or fifth time today. I have no clue what is causing it. Maybe low available memory?
    03-05-12 07:20 PM
    Mine just closes the browser all together. Hope to get a fix/patch soon.
    03-05-12 07:43 PM
    My PB actually crashed accessing this thread! I also have issues with clicking on links. In the browser......sometimes it takes three presses to work.
    03-05-12 08:08 PM
    This is indeed interesting. A few people reported their browser crashed accessing this thread. I could not reproduce this.

I am curious what is happening behind the scenes of each of our browsers that may explain the different behavior.
    03-05-12 08:25 PM
    Just got a "poof" when I tried to open a crackberry thread.
    03-05-12 08:28 PM
    Mine has been crashing MORE after i updated to 2.0, more than once per day. It ends almost every browsing session. I'm so fed up with it I've resorted to using my *shudder* laptop around the house for internet browsing lately. I REALLY hope this gets cleared up, as i hate just leaving my PB laying on my end table.
    03-05-12 08:49 PM
    Sorry to break the trend here....but my browser has never crashed, nor the playbook itself....I'm actually on the PB now.
    03-05-12 08:53 PM
    Swipe from top. Go to settings > Privacy and Security > Keep History For [1 day]

You can also enable Private browsing, if you don't want any history saved.
    Ah ok.. yeah I already got that set to 1 day.. I thought you meant it auto cleared everything. Thanks though.
    03-05-12 09:12 PM
    This is indeed interesting. A few people reported their browser crashed accessing this thread. I could not reproduce this.

I am curious what is happening behind the scenes of each of our browsers that may explain the different behavior.
    I have had it happen a few times for threads on this forum. Think it is partly because of some webpages like crackberry, when alot of the screen space can have a redirect to another page, if you accidently brush one of these while the main page is still loading, it 'overloads and shorts out' is how I describe it. ie. scrolling is tricky on crackberry forums than other sites, and I don't use a stylus. Have lost count the number of times that I ended up opening the store when I was trying to scroll down the thread!
    03-05-12 09:30 PM
    I don't know if it's just my playbook but everytime I clear my history for example when I press CLEAR ALL,it seems to close itself and it happens quite often. It does seem tohappen more often on os2.0 than it did on os 1xx. After it crashes, sometimes I'm not even able to click browser again without restarting the playbook...no idea why
    03-05-12 09:53 PM
    Mine crashes all the time, quits completely. Shop the Old Navy site for 10-20 min and see what happens. Just browse no need to buy anything.
    03-05-12 09:55 PM
    After it crashes, sometimes I'm not even able to click browser again without restarting the playbook...no idea why
    This happened on my pb tonight.
    03-05-12 10:15 PM
    Just got a "poof" when I tried to open a crackberry thread.
    A while back people were saying that the PB browser needed a "name". As much as I hate to say it - Poof - is beginning to stick ;-)

Donning flame suit now!
    03-05-12 10:45 PM
    Mine crashed the first time I clicked on this thread. The only app I have installed is book reader.
    03-05-12 10:47 PM
    Happily reporting never crashes.
    03-05-12 11:10 PM
    For me it seems to happen everyday. More so than the older OS but then again I usually go to the same sites daily. Used to routinely crash on CB which it does not do anymore so that's a plus but still a little annoying.

Either way, I'm sure RIM will fix it in an update.
    03-05-12 11:11 PM
    Wow......so wierd that so many have similiar issues.........and so many don't! Another RIM anomaly

Just browsed 15 mins or so on OldNavy.....no issues....another member stated clearly they encountered issued on this site.
    03-05-12 11:35 PM
    Yes my browser does crashes every now and then. Didn't happen when I was one older os
    03-05-12 11:39 PM
    I personally notice less crashing in the browser since the update from 1.8.

Sent with Tapatalk from my Blackberry Playbook
    03-05-12 11:42 PM
    As of 12:45 am EST on March 6, 2012, (with 290 votes), what we have is an interesting picture.

About 20% of folks reported they have never had any crash. I honestly envy you, guys. I hope we can find out, guys, how your usage is different and why you don't have crashes, which will shed light as to the rootcause of the crashes and how that can be fixed.

35% have had occasional crashes, but they don't find the crashes alarming as, probably, those crashes are rare (frequency can be considered normal for a piece of software).

Now the interesting starts.

Thanks to this poll, we can conclude that almost 38% of respondents experience crashes weekly or even daily. And things got worse for this group after the OS 2.0 update. There are many explanations as to why this may be the case, but no certain patter emerged yet. Some suspect it's sideloading and poor memory management with Android shell running. A few have even reported browser crashes accessing this thread or Crackberry in general.

And there is the 7% of people (myself including), who are also experiencing frequent crashes, but for whom things got better with the update.

In any case, I believe this needs to be investigated by RIM. I hope there are people who have access to the beta zone or who are following a RIM official on Tweeter and can relay this poll to them.

Thanks very much to everybody who participated. And I really hope that browser stability improvement will be in the changelog for OS 2.0.1.

Keep responses/votes coming.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 03-05-12 at 11:54 PM.
    sagec likes this.
    03-05-12 11:47 PM
    I haven't had any crashes using that free browser app (called SimpleBrowser).

It's ok but you can't bookmark anything..the only downfall.
    kennyliu likes this.
    03-06-12 12:04 AM
    As of 12:45 am EST on March 6, 2012, (with 290 votes), what we have is an interesting picture.

About 20% of folks reported they have never had any crash. I honestly envy you, guys. I hope we can find out, guys, how your usage is different and why you don't have crashes, which will shed light as to the rootcause of the crashes and how that can be fixed.

35% have had occasional crashes, but they don't find the crashes alarming as, probably, those crashes are rare (frequency can be considered normal for a piece of software).

Now the interesting starts.

Thanks to this poll, we can conclude that almost 38% of respondents experience crashes weekly or even daily. And things got worse for this group after the OS 2.0 update. There are many explanations as to why this may be the case, but no certain patter emerged yet. Some suspect it's sideloading and poor memory management with Android shell running. A few have even reported browser crashes accessing this thread or Crackberry in general.

And there is the 7% of people (myself including), who are also experiencing frequent crashes, but for whom things got better with the update.

In any case, I believe this needs to be investigated by RIM. I hope there are people who have access to the beta zone or who are following a RIM official on Tweeter and can relay this poll to them.

Thanks very much to everybody who participated. And I really hope that browser stability improvement will be in the changelog for OS 2.0.1.

Keep responses/votes coming.
    Nice thread!

IMHO:

1. Due to process isolation, there isn't much chance of the android runtime directly impacting browser stability.
    2. Most crashes of the type being reported here (poofs) are likely some form of:
    unhandled exception, like trying to use an uninitialized pointer
    access violation (here's where improper memory management comes into play)

Another thought that would be interesting is whether some form of DEP/NX could be in play, and they haven't wired up a user alert dialog. By this I mean when sites host malicious/sloppy code that attempts/behaves like an attempt to execute code on the heap via an exploit like a buffer overrun and the browser shuts down (to protect the user) without a helpful notice. This is pure speculation...

My money is on the first two very common classes of programming errors.

That being said, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find a large portion of the crashes due to Flash crashing (adobe code), and that it lives in the same process as the browser so it takes the browser down as a victim.

One last thought. RIM's QNX kernel engineers are second to none. They live in low level code and memory management is their bread and butter. It is possible though that some of their application developers are transitioning from Java/Handheld coding, where memory management is largely abstracted and many protections are in place, to the hard cruel world of C. If there is any truth to this, they will get better as time goes by. I think they are listening and I certainly hope they release some maintenance updates on a regular basis.
    Last edited by sagec; 03-06-12 at 12:38 AM.
    kennyliu likes this.
    03-06-12 12:34 AM
    Nice thread!

IMHO:

1. Due to process isolation, there isn't much chance of the android runtime directly impacting browser stability.
    2. Most crashes of the type being reported here (poofs) are likely some form of:
    unhandled exception, like trying to use an uninitialized pointer
    access violation (here's where improper memory management comes into play)

Another thought that would be interesting is whether some form of DEP/NX could be in play, and they haven't wired up a user alert dialog. By this I mean when sites host malicious/sloppy code that attempts/behaves like an attempt to execute code on the heap via an exploit like a buffer overrun and the browser shuts down (to protect the user) without a helpful notice. This is pure speculation...

My money is on the first two very common classes of programming errors.

That being said, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find a large portion of the crashes due to Flash crashing (adobe code), and that it lives in the same process as the browser so it takes the browser down as a victim.

One last thought. RIM's QNX kernel engineers are second to none. They live in low level code and memory management is their bread and butter. It is possible though that some of their application developers are transitioning from Java/Handheld coding, where memory management is largely abstracted and many protections are in place, to the hard cruel world of C. If there is any truth to this, they will get better as time goes by. I think they are listening and I certainly hope they release some maintenance updates on a regular basis.
    Thanks. Very informative. I may be an exception, but I have Flash disabled. I don't know if it still can be a cause for a crash in the disabled state though. Is it possible that the browser app code (e.g. Air?) itself has a bug?
    03-06-12 12:44 AM
    Also, even if Android runtime is isolated and unlikely directly impacts browser stability, can it be that it just takes up too much memory leaving the browser too little to run?
    03-06-12 12:48 AM
404 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD