Isn't this .668 preloaded on the latest PlayBook 4G? Is this only causing issues for PlayBook Wifi only?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-18-12 01:26 AM
    I suspected that something wasn't loading but I don't have the kits nor the source.
    Maybe you could share your findings with the OS vendor so THEY could fix THEIR update.
    I am sure RIM is aware of the issue by now. But I wonder how they would fix this or simply wait for 2.1 to go live officially.

Anyway, I've already upgraded my own Readopia app, which will work fine with 2.0.1.668.

Buy Readopia Pro - Chinese eBook Reader - Download Readopia Pro - Chinese eBook Reader - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World
    rexrim likes this.
    08-24-12 01:19 AM
    While I haven't had the huge issues like battery drain or overheating that some have, I'm having the (no wifi - no workey) problem that others are. I use the Kobo app a ton, the whole point being I can read a book anywhere. Now I can only load the app if I'm conected to the internet. Same goes for the Solitaire(FREE) game.

I believe I did a backup before I upgraded the OS. Can someone instruct me, or point me to the instructions on how to drop back to an older OS.

Thanks
    08-25-12 09:57 PM
    what problems? Been running it for 2 weeks now.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    Did you read this post?
    08-25-12 10:14 PM
    I am sure RIM is aware of the issue by now. But I wonder how they would fix this or simply wait for 2.1 to go live officially.

Anyway, I've already upgraded my own Readopia app, which will work fine with 2.0.1.668.

Buy Readopia Pro - Chinese eBook Reader - Download Readopia Pro - Chinese eBook Reader - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World
    Do they really have 2.1 or just go bb10 and bypass 2.1?
    08-25-12 10:16 PM
    Do they really have 2.1 or just go bb10 and bypass 2.1?
    They do have OS 2.1 for PlayBook and it's already in public beta for developers' testings.
    08-26-12 05:10 AM
    They do have OS 2.1 for PlayBook and it's already in public beta for developers' testings.
    It know.but I mean why they still spend resource on 2.1? Why not just go bb10 directly
    08-26-12 07:18 AM
    It know.but I mean why they still spend resource on 2.1? Why not just go bb10 directly

True. But BB10 is still months away while 2.1 is pretty much ready and should have been released with PlayBook 4G. Personally I wish they are still upgrading PlayBook OS before BB10.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-26-12 07:24 AM
    May be i am wrong. Sounds to me the challenge is that Rim should have given the update to developers first so they could adapt their apps to the changes.
    I have had zero issues since updating personally. The apps I use seem to all work well. Still, there are many who are running into stumbling blocks. I know it is frustrating to have issues that some have and others don't.
    We all have our sights set on BB10. Let's get 2.0 working so there will still be customers who want 2.1 or BB10.
    08-26-12 09:51 AM
    I upgraded to .668 as soon as it was available. Kobo wouldn't work if I was trying to start Kobo while outside of wifi coverage. And much worse, possibly due to using the native email app for 4 email accounts, there was quite a rapid battery drain. Seemed I had to charge it a couple of times during the day instead of just overnight.

A couple of nights later, I forgot to plug it in and I was awoken by the low battery tone. I decided to leave it till the morning. When I went to plug it in the next morning, it was bricked. Nothing worked and I tried all the online suggestions of stack-charging etc. I called the 1-800# and, after about 20 minutes of troubleshooting, I had an RMA#. Shipped it back to them on a Monday about 2 weeks ago and got the replacement unit on Friday of that week. Good service... true, but after a completely stupid hardware failure. Whose idea was it to make the charging process dependent on a functional operating system? What about having the wires connected directly to the battery so it can charge??? Like in all the other electronic devices I own???

And sheesh, then I had to reinstall all my apps as well as restore my backup file. So I did... in that order. But after reinstalling all my apps, the restore process kept failing. It would go thru the whole restore process, over half an hour, then it would stop with an error message saying "cannot restore file because the OS is not the same as was used to create the backup file". Now this was really stupid. It sat there "transferring" the restore data, MB by MB, with the whole progress bar slowly inching across the screen. For goodness sake, if this "difference" between the OS versions was a problem, why not perform the check for it before spending all the time doing the data transfer?

I phoned the 1-800# again and they told me I had to do another security wipe and do the restore first, then reinstall the apps. It worked but what a colossal waste of my time. Didn't anyone at RIM think these steps through?

It's not all bad news though. The replacement unit came quickly. PLUS, even though I bought my PB in April, 2011, there was no charge at all. So a silver lining. But seriously RIM get your act together. Focus on making stuff work in an intuitive and obvious way.
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 08-26-12 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Fix typo and clarify explanation
    FF22 and mnhockeycoach99 like this.
    08-26-12 10:46 AM
    I upgraded to .668 as soon as it was available. Kobo wouldn't work if I was trying to start Kobo while outside of wifi coverage. And much worse, possibly due to using the native email app for 4 email accounts, there was quite a rapid battery drain. Seemed I had to charge it a couple of times during the day instead of just overnight.

A couple of nights later, I forgot to plug it in and I was awoken by the low battery tone. I decided to leave it till the morning. When I went to plug it in the next morning, it was bricked. Nothing worked and I tried all the online suggestions of stack-charging etc. I called the 1-800# and, after about 20 minutes of troubleshooting, I had an RMA#. Shipped it back to them on a Monday about 2 weeks ago and got the replacement unit on Friday of that week. Good service... true, but after a completely stupid hardware failure. Whose idea was it to make the charging process dependent on a functional operating system? What about having the wires connected directly to the battery so it can charge??? Like in all the other electronic devices I own???

And sheesh, then I had to reinstall all my apps as well as restore my backup file. So I did... in that order. But after reinstalling all my apps, the restore process kept failing. It would go thru the whole restore process, over half an hour, then it would stop with an error message saying "cannot restore file because the OS is not the same as was used to create the backup file". Now this was really stupid. It sat there "transferring" the restore data, MB by MB, with the whole progress bar slowly inching across the screen. For goodness sake, if this "difference" between the OS versions was a problem, why not perform the check for it before spending all the time doing the data transfer?

I phoned the 1-800# again and they told me I had to do another security wipe and do the restore first, then reinstall the apps. It worked but what a colossal waste of my time. Didn't anyone at RIM think these steps through?

It's not all bad news though. The replacement unit came quickly. PLUS, even though I bought my PB in April, 2011, there was no charge at all. So a silver lining. But seriously RIM get your act together. Focus on making stuff work in an intuitive and obvious way.
    I agree with everything said above. RIM customer service is good. But it would be much better if things worked right out of the box. My family has had two RMAs already. It is ridiculous.
    08-26-12 11:03 AM
    I have since installed the beta OS and it works well enough for me. All the problems I had with 668 are fixed.
    08-26-12 12:11 PM
    I have since installed the beta OS and it works well enough for me. All the problems I had with 668 are fixed.
    I imagine updating to the 2.1 Beta is what RIM are hoping everyone with 668 issues will do.

If 668 was going to be "fixed" in a replacement update it would have happened by now.

RIM have made it easy to update to the 2.1Beta by just requesting you to enter your PIN on a website without requiring you "prove" you are really eligible by being a Dev. And if you were having 668 issues, would you rather go back to 358 or forward to the (fairly stable and mature by all accounts) 2.1 Beta? Especially if you had made a backup in 668 that can only be restored with a later OS version.

The cynic in me thinks that the more people who update to the Beta, the fewer will be the number complaining about 668... and if issues remain after you've updated to the Beta... well, of course it's a Beta, for Devs only, and issues are to be expected.
    08-26-12 04:28 PM
    Yeah I figure the answer to the OP's question is the fix is gonna be 2.1. If they had any intention of releasing any other update I figure they would have done it by now. Feel bad for those who got a bad download and aren't comfortable with using a dev beta. Some aren't able to restore their data and that sucks. Kinda like being stuck between a rock and a hard place.
    08-26-12 05:49 PM
    Yeah I figure the answer to the OP's question is the fix is gonna be 2.1. If they had any intention of releasing any other update I figure they would have done it by now. Feel bad for those who got a bad download and aren't comfortable with using a dev beta. Some aren't able to restore their data and that sucks. Kinda like being stuck between a rock and a hard place.
    I, like Patrick, had a similar situation with battery drain and eventually a dead PB. I called RIM customer service to get it replaced and, by stroke of luck, it started working again. I rolled the OS back to the last working version and haven't had one problem since. I have learned my lesson and won't be immediately jumping on future OS updates until it is confirmed to not have major issues like .668 did.
    08-26-12 09:52 PM
    still waiting here for a new update that will fix the battery drain... Was 100% charged yesterday, no BT or wifi on, I picked it up at 5pm today and battery was at 62%. 20 mins later, 55%... And I just checked my wifi connection. Battery health is 92%, so...
    08-27-12 10:50 AM
    I have had absolutely no problem with .668 My email works as it did before , in fact I have been very pleased with my Playbook especially since 2.0 . What you might want to do is occassionaly reboot your P.B. rather than have on standby all the time. If your email is still not working delete it and reinstall . I have 4 email accounts all working .
    08-27-12 11:05 AM
    I wonder if .668 was meant only for the 4G model. The people with that model loaded that version on first setup correct? That was after RIM pulled it for the wifi owners.
    08-27-12 11:13 AM
    Since only a small percentage of people using 668 are having these problems, that indicates it's not an issue with 668 itself, but in the loading of it. RIM is not going to put out fixes for individual issues. Your best course of action is to roll back to 358 or try the beta.
    08-27-12 11:30 AM
    Since only a small percentage of people using 668 are having these problems, that indicates it's not an issue with 668 itself, but in the loading of it. RIM is not going to put out fixes for individual issues. Your best course of action is to roll back to 358 or try the beta.
    What is the roll back process to get from 668 back to 358? I've had none of the issues stated here. But I do now have the 64Gig I want to port all from the 16gig to.
    08-27-12 03:17 PM
    Rim pulled/removed/recalled/whatever because there were problems with it. It needs fixing or a replacement needs releasing. Although, I agree with the outcome but that's because rim's attitude is: "Huh, what me worry!"
    Chrysalis1156 likes this.
    08-27-12 03:24 PM
    Rim pulled/removed/recalled/whatever because there were problems with it. It needs fixing or a replacement needs releasing. Although, I agree with the outcome but that's because rim's attitude is: "Huh, what me worry!"
    But we don't know that the problems that people are seeing here are the same problems that caused the release to be pulled. I doubt it was because the occasional person has trouble with Yahoo email. Many of these issues are common every time there is a release but not always due to the OS. So to sit and assume that the next release will directly address a particular problem that is most likely install or configuration issue seems like needless waiting.
    08-27-12 03:59 PM
    But we don't know that the problems that people are seeing here are the same problems that caused the release to be pulled. I doubt it was because the occasional person has trouble with Yahoo email. Many of these issues are common every time there is a release but not always due to the OS. So to sit and assume that the next release will directly address a particular problem that is most likely install or configuration issue seems like needless waiting.
    I agree. I have no doubt RIM could care less that some of us are having to repeatedly enter our email passwords. I would think that they might be a little concerned about flaming hot pbs and units with severe battery drain however, and there have been quite a number of those. Hopefully 2.1 isn't that far from official release and things will go smoothly.
    08-27-12 04:29 PM
    I have not heard anything from RIM about this latest fiasco but wipe it off your device ASAP!
    Why in the world would I do that when I've had no issues since the morning of the update, and I work my PB daily. I too feel for those that have developed issues, as the OP has, but I'm not messing with a good thing, especially since my Outlook acct loaded and works great now and portrait mode works in several tasks it wouldn't before.
    08-27-12 06:52 PM
    Why in the world would I do that when I've had no issues since the morning of the update, and I work my PB daily. I too feel for those that have developed issues, as the OP has, but I'm not messing with a good thing, especially since my Outlook acct loaded and works great now and portrait mode works in several tasks it wouldn't before.
    I'm with you. I've been having password issues with my email acct (not for the last 2 days tho so fingers crossed) but everything else is working fine. My battery seems to last longer so yay!
    08-27-12 10:04 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD