It is obvious that 2.0.1.668 cause many problems for many people's playbooks. I decided not to attempt to roll back to the previous update with Desktop Manager (I've never done it before and I don't really want to loose anything on my PB) because I thought that RIM would put out an update shortly to either fix the problems caused by 2.0.1.668, or at least bring playbooks that were updated to 2.0.1.668 back to the previous functional OS.

I was wrong and it has been a week of no email on my PB along with general strange quirks that 2.0.1.668 seems to have caused.

Do you think there will be an update this week, or should I not wait any longer for RIM and attempt to go back to a previous OS release?

Do you think RIM recognizes that there is a huge problem with their latest OS and it is causing people serious issues? Will RIM just hope that not very many people updated to 2.0.1.668 and not do anything?
    anon(4267099) and rexrim like this.
    08-13-12 07:57 PM
    I don't know about you, but I don't have a problem with the latest release. .668 is working great...email videos apps...all good. You should wipe and restore. It will roll you back.
    08-13-12 08:30 PM
    I'm sorry the OP is having problems but like Kerry6, I also have noticed no problems with 668. I get my email as always (although I use Bridge email _ never liked the "native" email) and haven't had problems watching videos.

It could be that I've just been lucky. I wish I could suggest a solution other than a wipe but I just don't have an alternative suggestion.
    08-13-12 08:36 PM
    The answer to your question, 2.1

rexrim and rotorwrench like this.
    08-13-12 08:56 PM
    The answer to your question, 2.1

Click to view quoted image
    Nice poster but I still prefer the one of Natasha Kinsky and the Snake.

What that picture lacks is whether 2.1 will be issued tomorrow, the next day, next week, next month, the month after next month or even next year.

Rim's time for craftiness is about over. They released an update that seems to have caused some users problems. So they should damn well fix it and not "soon*"

* SOON - Rim Trademark. "Soon" they will start suing folks who use their trademarked term!
    JeepBB, madman0141 and PatrickMJS like this.
    08-13-12 09:14 PM
    Obviously there is an issue with the update as RIM pulled it.... As with Apples's infamous update that halfed many users battery life... a new update will come along for RIM just as Apple did.... simply part of livng in the wired age....
    08-13-12 09:22 PM
    I have not heard anything from RIM about this latest fiasco but wipe it off your device ASAP!
    08-13-12 11:49 PM
    Publicly theyre in denial, I have called them about OS668 being not fit for purpuse (for me), i told them OS358 was excellent (for me)
    They had me doing hard resets, testing websites, then told me "see, it works now" even though the issues happen randomly after a few hours.
    Its amazing that we dont have a direct email for rim to contact them on mass, then they would get the message,
    08-14-12 04:45 AM
    Count me as one who has had no problems with .668. As a matter of fact both of the recent updates (to my Playbook and Bold) have things running better than they have in a long time.
    08-14-12 10:03 AM
    .668 apparently breaks both of the applications I've written for the PlayBook. I can't even test why they broke because the update is no longer offered. I'm in contact with RIM now but it appears that their Flash implementation in .668 and OS 2.1 leave much to be desired.
    08-14-12 10:25 AM
    Not seeing any problems here with the new release. I think every update has affected a small percentage of people and it doesn't seem like it is any more than usual with this one
    08-14-12 10:42 AM
    .668 apparently breaks both of the applications I've written for the PlayBook. I can't even test why they broke because the update is no longer offered. I'm in contact with RIM now but it appears that their Flash implementation in .668 and OS 2.1 leave much to be desired.
    688 broke 3 of my apps. All did offline storage. 1 of them was your rss reader.
    They all would only startup with an Internet connection. For apps whose main
    feature is offline access kind of important!

So I went to 2.1 and all 3 worked in offline mode again.
    When Rim pulled .688 I went back to .358 and all worked fine on and offline.

And that is where I'm staying!
    08-14-12 01:46 PM
    Not seeing any problems here with the new release. I think every update has affected a small percentage of people and it doesn't seem like it is any more than usual with this one
    since they pulled the update, it is hard to judge how many more might have been affected by this particular update.

I'm, at this point, still waiting for a fix even thought I did grab a copy of the large bar file to sideload .668
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-14-12 01:54 PM
    I'm, at this point, still waiting for a fix even thought I did grab a copy of the large bar file to sideload .668
    I couldn't wait.

My son's PB was simply unusable with 668 - it would shut down after a couple of minutes unless it was connected to the charger... at which point it would restart from scratch and take the "normal" several minutes to boot and be usable. So we had a tablet that wouldn't work if it was disconnected from the mains. How we laughed...

My choices (thank you RIM for giving me options ) were to go back to 358 and have to re-install pretty much every game available through AppWorld, or go forward and install the 2.1 Beta (and keep the Apps).

So the PB is now on 2.1 Beta.

Amateur Hour isn't over yet I fear.
    dave1701 likes this.
    08-14-12 04:29 PM
    I'd just install the beta. It works fine for me on all my PB's (I have 3) and the multi-window Android feature alone is worth it.

Might have some issues with in-app purchases, but it might be an unresolved RIM bug unrelated to the OS.
    dave1701 likes this.
    08-14-12 04:47 PM
    I'd just install the beta. It works fine for me on all my PB's (I have 3) and the multi-window Android feature alone is worth it.

Might have some issues with in-app purchases, but it might be an unresolved RIM bug unrelated to the OS.
    KermEd: At this point I prefer beta testing YOUR apps!

I actually do have the beta on my 32gig unit but rarely use it. I should just put certain stuff on it and dedicate it for one purpose. I pretty much solely use the 64gig unit.

My problem, frankly, is I'm cheap and don't want to repurchase a bunch of apps for it. I did get Battery Guru since this 32gig replaced one that lost too much power on standby. I guess I could just dedicate it to Android apps but would miss, ahem, one or two browsers, which while not expensive, well, there's this retirement fund that needs to keep me going and going and .....
    08-14-12 05:27 PM
    688 broke 3 of my apps. All did offline storage. 1 of them was your rss reader.
    They all would only startup with an Internet connection. For apps whose main
    feature is offline access kind of important!

So I went to 2.1 and all 3 worked in offline mode again.
    When Rim pulled .688 I went back to .358 and all worked fine on and offline.

And that is where I'm staying!
    I should have read about this buggy 2.0.1.668 earlier here!

I've developed an offline ebook reader app (Readopia) and a user has just reported this problem to me. My App cannot open a local ebook unless the wifi connection is on.

I did spend/waste some time in ironing out why. My app is a WebWorks application and under 2.0.1.668, some local resources (e.g. javascript or images) are not loaded properly (especially those loaded dynamically after the app is up). I am NOT sure when RIM will fix this, the issue is not there in the 2.1 beta.

Anyway, I've found a workaround in my app and I'm gonna release a patched version quickly.
    ralfyguy and jomamasan like this.
    08-17-12 09:30 AM
    what problems? Been running it for 2 weeks now.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    08-17-12 09:46 AM

Some apps (e.g. Kobo, Readopia) cannot work properly without a wifi connection. They don't really need wifi, but a connection is required somehow.
    08-17-12 09:49 AM
    I don't know about you, but I don't have a problem with the latest release. .668 is working great...email videos apps...all good. You should wipe and restore. It will roll you back.
    Give it time I thought the same and then one by one stuff started to mess up.
    08-17-12 10:47 AM

I have had email and Page load up issues. As soon as I loaded beta all was well. I am still waiting on info about a fix or new update. I will not rush to update anymore.
    08-17-12 10:49 AM
    They did fix it. Told users to downgrade or install the beta.

Yes I know it's not what you wanted to hear. Still working for me.
    08-17-12 11:07 AM
    I should have read about this buggy 2.0.1.668 earlier here!

I've developed an offline ebook reader app (Readopia) and a user has just reported this problem to me. My App cannot open a local ebook unless the wifi connection is on.

I did spend/waste some time in ironing out why. My app is a WebWorks application and under 2.0.1.668, some local resources (e.g. javascript or images) are not loaded properly (especially those loaded dynamically after the app is up). I am NOT sure when RIM will fix this, the issue is not there in the 2.1 beta.

Anyway, I've found a workaround in my app and I'm gonna release a patched version quickly.
    I suspected that something wasn't loading but I don't have the kits nor the source.
    Maybe you could share your findings with the OS vendor so THEY could fix THEIR update.
    08-17-12 12:34 PM
    just get beta 2.1

Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using Tapatalk 2
    asiayeah likes this.
    08-17-12 07:15 PM
    It would appear as another weekend hits, that rim remains oblivious of the problems they have inflicted. Particularly, since they still have not forthrightly admitted the issues it seems worse although for those with real problems it cannot be worse.
    08-18-12 01:06 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD