Google Maps even works using just the 2.0 native browser:

1. Under Browser Settings -> Content, ensure Javascript is enabled
    2. Under Browser Settings -> Permissions, Allow Websites to Access My Location is On
    3. Go to maps.google.com
    4. Click on the button with the dot in it (just above the little guy icon)
    5. If prompted to do so, allow (or "allow once") Google to access your geolocation.

After a bit of delay while the GPS acquires its satellites, the map should zoom to your exact location. If it says it can't determine your location, press the "dot button" a second time, and it should work then.

Note that it is not necessary to install Magellan Compass or sideload the Google Maps app.
    Last edited by dugggggg; 02-26-12 at 04:21 PM.
    02-26-12 03:50 PM
    but in this case no NAV....
    02-26-12 04:08 PM
    but in this case no NAV....
    That's all right. Following written directions---or even reading a map---is considerably simpler than sideloading an Android app. Especially without a laptop.
    02-26-12 04:39 PM
    What we really need is blackberry traffic for the playbook. It works so well on my phone and has helped me avoid soooooo much traffic
    just select the traffic layer in google maps. it works.
    and it does have voice directions (computer spoken, not voice input)
    02-27-12 11:06 AM
    i dont have MAGELLAN installed and google maps works fine. just takes a couple minutes to acquire enough satellites
    shaunj539 likes this.
    02-27-12 11:07 AM
    I'm due to upgrade soon, but either I have to get a Small screen and the Playbook?? or Big screen and playbook and have to pay extra for the privilege of a bigger screen

What I am wondering and it seems to be partially answered here

1 Will the Playbook run Googlemaps?
    2 If it will, Will it be the map version or will I have to look at a Sav nav screen on the Playbook?

The reason I ask, I drive Big Rigs in the UK, and a Sat Nav is a NO NO, I hate them with a passion, I read Maps and can judge my route by what it shows on screen, Just like I do with my Torch

All assistance is appreciated
    03-02-12 11:38 AM
    The PB does indeed run Google maps.
    Here is what it looks like on my PB.
    You will need a way to get data to the PB.
    03-02-12 11:53 AM
    GPS does now work on the PB with the new OS2 !!!!

Yay !
    Well, that makes one of us.
    03-02-12 12:26 PM
    Mine used to freeze Google Maps on OS1, but with OS2 it's awesome. Even Street View works.
    03-02-12 12:51 PM
    Download MapApp. It is Google Map and works great with the GPS. It can zoom in quite accurate. Other apps such as "What's Up" is great if you enjoy looking at the night sky. The GPS locates you dead on.
    03-02-12 02:25 PM
    All the side loading, what does that actually mean? Is that like hacking the pb to run adroid appss? And I've updated to the newest firmware, I read somewhere that I can't hack the newest firmware yet and I can't downgrade either is that right?
    03-06-12 04:11 AM
    Sideloading is "kosher" and is different than ROOTING. You do need an app on your computer (ddpb) and some java stuff.

But many have found googlemaps now works under OS2 without playing all of those games.
    03-06-12 08:48 AM
    Hello,

I had success getting GPS & NAV functions on my PB 2.0, through Bridge, and I'm really excited about that.

I tried by many different ways but finally I got it. Here follows (sorry if you don't understand me very well ad I'm spanish and I'm not using let's say colloquial language)

1. It is necessary to have MAGELLAN COMPASS installed. This program is defenitely necessary.

2. Sideload GOOGLE MAPS 6.0.2 (is the one i have installed , but i guess other versions will work too)

3. Bridge your BB with your PB.

4. Run MAGELLAN COMPASS

5. Once PB gets GPS position on MAGELLAN COMPASS (maybe will get few minutes) run also GOOGLE MAPS. Both program must run together, and thanks to MULTI-TASK function on PB we can ;-)

6. After a while you will get GPS position also on GOOGLE MAPS.

7. Now, find a place where you want to go. Once it is shown on the map, go to its options and choose "GO TO" option.

8. Once you selected GO TO option by car, walking or whatever, you will see the route on the map.

9. Now its time to choose the blue arrow of GOOGLE NAV on the right. NAvigator will open automatically and then you just need to follow the way and voice.

have a nice trip!
    Can't the gps work without briding to a phone?
    04-17-12 08:36 PM
    The gps works fine as a stand alone feature. Check out the "What's Up" app.

But if you want maps, directions etc., you need Internet access either via wifi or the bridge or tethering. I know some people were commenting they couldn't find an app in AppWorld that works like a garmin device without Internet access. Although I think there is an app that allows you to download and save the map data you need in advance. Check the threads elsewhere in these forums.
    04-17-12 09:33 PM
    Yes, it can work and there are some small apps that show it works. It is just that the functions most people expect need data. Either live data from an active connection or maps and points-of-interest already stored on the device.
    04-17-12 09:54 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD