I remember reading that the PlayBook had a sleep magnet and that it was in some of the OEM cases but not all. Does anyone know if/where the magnet is? I'd like to put one into the convertible case, if possible.
    06-04-11 10:22 PM
    NO sleep magnet. It is not like the BB phones.
    06-04-11 10:45 PM
    thanks for enlightening me.ive been closing the case and im not sure lol. thx F2
    06-04-11 11:36 PM
    I actually dragged a magnet all around the darn thing a few weeks back - no reaction whatsoever.
    06-04-11 11:57 PM
    If you hit the right spot you can slightly dim the screen but that's all there is I think ( used a Torch case for testing)
    06-05-11 05:46 AM
    There is no magnet, therefore the PlayBook doesn't respond to one, nor does it dim the screen when near a case. You covered the light sensor. Simple as that. The PlayBook didn't dim the screen simply because you put a Torch case next to it.
    Last edited by ifarlow; 06-05-11 at 04:13 PM.
    Send Again likes this.
    06-05-11 06:13 AM
    I remember hearing that in the spec list long ago as well. Now with all these standby issues, sure would have been nice to have that sleeper magnet sensor there!
    06-05-11 12:59 PM
    Yep. I wish the case had a magnet and the PlayBook could respond to it, just like the phones do. Seems an odd omission that could have really come in handy.
    06-05-11 04:14 PM
    there isnt even a sensor to go into bedside mode when in the non-functioning $70 charging pod
    06-05-11 08:54 PM
    are you sure there isnt if i pass at a specific point at my mac which has the sleep sensor and the mac goes to sleep aswell if i do it with my torch
    06-05-11 09:09 PM
    there isnt even a sensor to go into bedside mode when in the non-functioning $70 charging pod
    This doesn't require a sensor, but instead a software switch... something that could be added to the PlayBook if RIM wanted.

are you sure there isnt if i pass at a specific point at my mac which has the sleep sensor and the mac goes to sleep aswell if i do it with my torch
    There is no sensor in the PlayBook. As far as a Mac goes, what in the world are you talking about? Mac computers have no capability to go to sleep based on a nearby magnet like BlackBerry phones do.
    06-06-11 05:54 AM
    It could be a software issue that is preventing standby with the magnet as well. When I went to the Amp it up training, I asked whether the cases would put the PB to sleep. The rep didn't know so he grabbed the Slip Case and slide his PB into it. We peeked inside as he was doing it and almost immediately the screen turned off completely. He took it out and swiped the screen, it came back on, then he put it back in and the screen turned off immediately. So, I don't know if the beta units had the capability and it was removed or maybe they encountered an issue with the software and disabled it. Maybe it was just coincidence, we didn't try it with any other case since they had a very limited selection and I was more curious about the convertible case, which they didn't have.

EDIT: Also check out the reviews for the leather envelope. The reviewer said that it puts their PB to sleep when they insert it and close the flap, though it might be difficult to tell whether that is true or it just timed out.
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=5gPxhXFz
    Last edited by TBone4eva; 06-06-11 at 06:34 AM.
    06-06-11 06:27 AM
    I think there is a magnet in the PB.
    Just found a couple of paper clips sticking to the back cover.
    I removed them and put them again and they again got stuck on it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-11 12:37 PM
    Wait, let me guess. Those paperclips were stuck on the left and/or right side of the back of the PlayBook (in landscape mode), right? In other words, right where the speakers are?

There is no sleep magnet in the PlayBook. The PlayBook does not respond to holstered events like the phones do.

Psst... you can make paperclips stick to the PlayBook on the front as well, right where the speakers are. Seeing a trend?
    Last edited by ifarlow; 06-06-11 at 12:59 PM.
    06-06-11 12:49 PM

There is no sensor in the PlayBook. As far as a Mac goes, what in the world are you talking about? Mac computers have no capability to go to sleep based on a nearby magnet like BlackBerry phones do.
    all macbook's have i can even turn of my torch placing it at some place in the screen and if i put it in the opposite side in the body the macbook will turn off..
    06-06-11 12:57 PM
    Yep, just tried it. It sticks on the front and rear near the speakers. On the bottom, the strongest pull is at the rapid charger contacts so that's probably for the other non-dock style rapid charger. I swear that it seemed to work at the training.
    06-06-11 12:57 PM
    Wait, let me guess. Those paperclips were stuck on the left and/or right side of the back of the PlayBook (in landscape mode), right? In other words, right where the speakers are?

There is no sleep magnet in the PlayBook. The PlayBook does not respond to holstered events like the phones do.

Psst... you can make paperclips stick to the PlayBook on the front as well, right where the speakers are. Seeing a trend?
    Didn't think about the speakers. Will have to check again if they stick near the speaker area.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-11 01:09 PM
    Again, I dragged a pretty good magnet over the entire surface, edges in other words EVERYWHERE and there was no sleep/standby. It did tend to be attracted to a few areas but I think that was the speakers and possibly some point on the rear but it did not affect sleep/standby.
    newbiee and sad_old_man like this.
    06-06-11 04:03 PM
    It likely IS a software issue. Check out "features" on cases in early advertisements such as in the following thread (they call it "Power saving case technology"). Also, a review on this same thread from a guy who tried it and it did work back in April.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=605232

It could be a software issue that is preventing standby with the magnet as well. When I went to the Amp it up training, I asked whether the cases would put the PB to sleep. The rep didn't know so he grabbed the Slip Case and slide his PB into it. We peeked inside as he was doing it and almost immediately the screen turned off completely. He took it out and swiped the screen, it came back on, then he put it back in and the screen turned off immediately. So, I don't know if the beta units had the capability and it was removed or maybe they encountered an issue with the software and disabled it. Maybe it was just coincidence, we didn't try it with any other case since they had a very limited selection and I was more curious about the convertible case, which they didn't have.

EDIT: Also check out the reviews for the leather envelope. The reviewer said that it puts their PB to sleep when they insert it and close the flap, though it might be difficult to tell whether that is true or it just timed out.
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=5gPxhXFz
    06-27-11 02:46 PM
    I have a metal desk at work. When I put my PB near the desk it seems to get "pulled" towards the desk. I know my desk is not magnetic, so I'm guessing the PB has some magnets in it ? Anyone know if this is true ?
    01-15-12 08:27 PM
    That's the magnets in the speakers. Nothing more.
    01-27-12 03:07 PM
    05-30-13 09:33 AM
    Proving that Apple has no heart!
    KittyBomb and sad_old_man like this.
    05-30-13 10:26 AM
    thanks for enlightening me.ive been closing the case and im not sure lol. thx F2
    You can set your screen to time out when not being used after a set while in the settings > screen section both while it's on battery and plugged in. They don't have that many options but I find it works just fine with 2 minutes on battery. They do have 90 seconds too so you save 30 seconds of energy (whatever that works out to be). Anyhow, though a magnet would be helpful, setting the screen to time out at 90 seconds is pretty good too. I wish there were more settings though...like 30 seconds and never turn off or a user defined time period.
    05-30-13 10:32 AM
    I'd be happy with it just displaying a clock in sleep mode, but we don't even get that
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-30-13 03:31 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD