No, bad presumption. I just don't buy things based on a name people like to say and I'm not going to base my decision on what tablet to buy based on whether or not it can protect itself from my abuse, lthough this thing sure is built nice and rugged, but I do undertand that glass is not meant for car keys and droppage and such, gorilla or not.
    But it's not about me, but thanks for asking
    Not to nitpick, but can you, please, compile a sample list of the names "people like to say" and a sample list of brand names that don't fall into the first category and post them for public use? I am dying to know b/c I really don't want those bastards that just exploit the names that "people like to say" to get any of my money
    10-11-11 02:04 AM
    First thing I like to do with any new tablet or phone I get is drop it to see if it will stand up to dropping
    10-11-11 02:10 AM
    Now, would I really do this if I didn't have faith in all of what I said previously about it not getting scratched easily?

10-11-11 02:14 AM
    Now, would I really do this if I didn't have faith in all of what I said previously about it not getting scratched easily?

wow, great. thanks for the vid. you are one courageous man .

sorry I can't help but ask "will it blend?"
    Last edited by ferganer; 10-11-11 at 02:32 AM.
    10-11-11 02:29 AM
    wow, great. thanks for the vid. you are one courageous man .

sorry but can't help, but will it blend
    I can't test that, it was a long weekend.. there was lots of margaritas and needless to say, I busted my Blendtec. Kinda hazy as to what happened next.
    ferganer likes this.
    10-11-11 02:31 AM
    Good work Blaize !!
    10-11-11 03:21 AM
    Not to nitpick, but can you, please, compile a sample list of the names "people like to say" and a sample list of brand names that don't fall into the first category and post them for public use? I am dying to know b/c I really don't want those bastards that just exploit the names that "people like to say" to get any of my money
    Sure, but would you settle for a partial list? Because there are so many - its called "marketing" and people spend hours around conference tables debating what might stick in people's silly minds as something that they will repeat like parrots, because they are fun to say.. and its late and a little too tired to humor you.

phonetically for emphasis:

Gooo-gul
    Que-tip
    Frizz-bee
    Por-sha
    twit-ter
    Win-decks
    last but not least:
    eye-pawd

and of course, Gori-lla glass.
    Catchy, no?

Get the idea? Why do you think Goo-gul quickly outpaced ya-whooo?
    I know you think this is funnnny, and you're being a smart-A** but it's serious stuff, and big business.
    Psychology of marketing.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-11-11 at 04:42 AM.
    10-11-11 04:24 AM
    Sure, but would you settle for a partial list? Because there are so many - its called "marketing" and people spend hours around conference tables debating what might stick in people's silly minds as something that they will repeat like parrots, because they are fun to say.. and its late and a little too tired to humor you.

phonetically for emphasis:

Gooo-gul
    Que-tip
    Frizz-bee
    Por-sha
    twit-ter
    Win-decks
    last but not least:
    eye-pawd

and of course, Gori-lla glass.
    Catchy, no?

Get the idea? Why do you think Goo-gul quickly outpaced ya-whooo?
    I know you think this is funnnny, and you're being a smart-A** but it's serious stuff, and big business.
    Psychology of marketing.
    They are using psychology to manipulate me? Noooo... They can't do that. It's plain wrong .

Thank you, sir. I will sure try to avoid these evil companies from now on I was blind but now I see, thanks to you.
    Last edited by ferganer; 10-11-11 at 08:12 AM.
    10-11-11 08:08 AM
    yes playbook does have very durable glass i dropped my playbook from at least 5 feet with out a case nd the screen didnt even budge!!! it had a few dents on the corners but that didnt really bother me. but like 2 weeks later i had the sleeve case on my playbook and it fell from about 3 feet and the screen cracked!! its not to bad, thescreen still works and its only in the bottom right but still i was pretty mad..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    BSFA2008 likes this.
    10-11-11 08:51 AM
    I think the drop tests demonstrate that concrete is an enemy of tablets - the type of glass does not matter. I can further say that unless users are almost always kneeling when using these things, a drop from waist height will not result in a happy outcome. Children's waist height might not be as damaging.

It's nice that someone, even an insurance company, has the money to waste on these tests demonstrating that insurance can be profitable.
    BSFA2008 likes this.
    10-11-11 09:46 AM
    They are using psychology to manipulate me? Noooo... They can't do that. It's plain wrong .

Thank you, sir. I will sure try to avoid these evil companies from now on I was blind but now I see, thanks to you.
    You're welcome. Now go back to occupying Wall Street.
    10-11-11 11:19 AM
    Nice demo Blaze, now I can sleep better at night.
    10-11-11 01:01 PM

Wow! Thanks! This should get posted up on the crackberry front page blog....
    BSFA2008 likes this.
    10-11-11 01:37 PM

hahaha!!! Bla1ze!! You da man!! Thank you!!

I feel better now carrying it around in my bag without having to worry so much about it getting scratched.

I did NOT expect you to do a scratch test on your own playbook. Respect! I REALLY appreciate that, thanks again Mr. moderator manager forum master sir.
    10-11-11 02:13 PM
    hahaha!!! Bla1ze!! You da man!! Thank you!!

I feel better now carrying it around in my bag without having to worry so much about it getting scratched.

I did NOT expect you to do a scratch test on your own playbook. Respect! I REALLY appreciate that, thanks again Mr. moderator manager forum master sir.
    He IS da man. Tequila = courage!

But a little less respect considering he must be getting free tabs to test lol
    But then, playing devil's advocate, do we really know how much pressure was applied in this test and which part of the key was used? lol

Honestly though with a screen protector, or simply putting it in the neoprene sleeve that came with it before putting it in the bag, does it even matter?

Coincidentally - I must have jinxed myself, just this morning I tripped on the charger cord and yanked the playbook off the table it was on, onto a hardwood floor, face down - not a crack or scratch, no screen protector, no skin, no case.

All in all, though, it seems like playbook glass beats Gorilla glass. They need a catchy name for it though.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-11-11 at 03:12 PM.
    10-11-11 02:20 PM
    Bla1ze = My Hero
    therapyreject174 and rjshahan like this.
    10-11-11 02:32 PM
    Bla1ze = My Hero
    Will you be buying him a new playbook, Kevin?

If I scratch test mine can I get a 32g with 2.o?
    10-11-11 03:13 PM
    It's all about the angle of impact. You could run those drop tests 10 times and have different results every time.

Thanks, Blaize, that was above and beyond the call of duty. I will still continue to baby my PB however.
    10-11-11 03:22 PM
    Will you be buying him a new playbook, Kevin?

If I scratch test mine can I get a 32g with 2.o?
    LOL, what for? They got free PBs when they went to BBW and they will get free ones again at Devcon.
    10-11-11 09:41 PM
    Hmm, prickly, emmmm, posters.

There is a valid point to be made. Screen protectors are no fun, a PITA to put on perfectly, and can make it harder to see the screen. It doesn't seem like it would be a big thing for RIM to say what sort of glass is on the Playbook but I think it is fair to say that if it was Gorilla Glass we would have heard... it is fun to say Gorilla Glass.
    10-15-11 12:58 AM
    He IS da man. Tequila = courage!

All in all, though, it seems like playbook glass beats Gorilla glass. They need a catchy name for it though.
    PlayGlass... ???
    10-15-11 12:59 AM
    Like u said thats the ONLY scratch test on video.... well i was lookn for one the other day and obviousely i found yours... i was like cool, it dont scratch very easy.. well...ive got this scratch on my pb and i dint even know how it got there cause im very scratch conscious and i keep it in that wetsuit pouch....the only thing i can think of is when my keys hit it ONCE... now everytime i look at my pb my eyes go straight to that damn scratch all because your one video i took to heart and decided, if it can handle ur keys like that im good...especially if my keys falls on it ONCE! My Opinion dude, dont do videos at 4am under ty lighting or if u do keep it off the internet where people like me actually go for help cause u f#!?ed me up thanks... maybe thats harsh... if i hadnt had watched ur video, i mightve takin better care of my...KEYS...ill prob be on this website alot now apparently lookn for answers since i paid $499 for my pb and im gonna be needing much help from the sound of it...ive always liked blackberry, i guess thats why i paid so much money for one...I just got use to android working theyre way up the update latter though. Here goes again.... February 2012 ....i hate waiting...i just got mine though ...poor folks thats been waiting since june tho...that sux...
    12-26-11 04:36 PM

PB screen is not scratch resistant. i know that 'cause my PB has one small scratch. it is minor and it is visible only at an angle but it is scratch nonetheless. i do not know how i did it but i just came back from vacation and i suspect some beach sand was on my finger and it scratched the glass s bit.
    12-26-11 04:58 PM

demo of dropping a playbook

note: kinda hurts to watch
    That's hilarious, especially when they all go to touch the broken glass....at the time the video was made, the PB was still full price so that must have hurt...unless these people work for RIM or something. LOL
    12-26-11 05:44 PM
    It is scratch-resistant, but it's not scratch-proof.

And LOL at the poster blaming blaize and the scratch-test video for his own scratch. Seriously?? It was good to see, but it didn't change how I treat my PB.
    Chaddface likes this.
    12-26-11 05:53 PM
76 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD