I heard it's glass.. I even heard it might break if dropped.
    10-10-11 10:26 PM
    Oh and just to let you know, I've chipped Gorilla Glass at less than a foot on concrete when one fell out of my pocket. It's not all it's made out to be.
    10-10-11 10:32 PM
    I'd like to know why its so important for it to be Gorilla Glass. I'm sure there is other companies that can make something just as good. It seems Gorilla Glass is just a well known brand.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-11 10:37 PM
    dont know what the ipad2 is made of. but i do know first hand that it will break easily if hit hard enough. my son hit the screen while putting on his seatbelt and it cracked. apple was very helpful and replaced the unit for free. we were very lucky.
    10-10-11 10:37 PM
    I'd like to know why its so important for it to be Gorilla Glass. I'm sure there is other companies that can make something just as good. It seems Gorilla Glass is just a well known brand.

Because some people are remedial and think because it has Gorilla Glass it is instantly BETTAR THEN ALL TEH REZT!! Nevermind the fact that it, you know... adds extra weight to device, can still shatter and adds cost to the device during initial release.

/sarcasm
    10-10-11 10:42 PM
    Because some people are remedial and think because it has Gorilla Glass it is instantly BETTAR THEN ALL TEH REZT!! Nevermind the fact that it, you know... adds extra weight to device, can still shatter and adds cost to the device during initial release.

/sarcasm
    LMAO... Too funny.
    10-10-11 10:45 PM
    Oh and just to let you know, I've chipped Gorilla Glass at less than a foot on concrete when one fell out of my pocket. It's not all it's made out to be.
    I think people are misinformed about Gorilla Glass and have unreasonable expectations. It is not unbreakable or scratch proof. It is just scratch-resistant and somewhat tougher to break.

You shouldn't expect glass to be shatter proof unless it is an armored 6-inch thick type of glass. And even in that case, as the saying goes, there are no saves that can't be opened .

But you can definitely expect GG to stay relatively scratch free with normal use though (unlike plastic or regular glass).
    10-10-11 11:30 PM

People want Gorilla Glass because they like to say "gorilla glass" just like they want firewire because they like to say "firewire".

It's simple really.
    10-11-11 12:20 AM

/sarcasm
    :stands up and applauds:

plus a huge royalty to Corning likely, so people can say "gorilla glass"
    10-11-11 12:22 AM
    People want Gorilla Glass because they like to say "gorilla glass" just like they want firewire because they like to say "firewire".

It's simple really.
    and you, I presume, only use no-name brand products cuz every time someone buys a brand product, a portion of the money goes to the brand holder and we really don't want that it's just wrong
    Last edited by ferganer; 10-11-11 at 12:56 AM.
    BSFA2008 likes this.
    10-11-11 12:48 AM
    I think you should have said:

"It's not all it's cracked up to be!" (sorry, could not resist making that crack!)
    BSFA2008 likes this.
    10-11-11 12:58 AM

/sarcasm
    Dear Mr. bla1ze forum master manager moderator sir,

I bumped this thread because I would like to know what I own. Do you buy a car and never want to know how much horse power it has, or a computer without wanting to know what processor it has, or a cell phone without wondering about the screen resolution?

I don't like scratched screens on my devices. I am not "remedial" as you so politely put it. If I bought into all the glittery magical unicorn fairyland hype, I would buy apple products.

I would like to know if the glass is scratch resistant (gorilla glass or not). I am aware gorilla glass is merely scratch resistant and it shatters and cracks like other glass. I would just like to know what I have here, and perhaps have a little peace of mind so I don't have to worry so much about scratching my screen. I would like to know what I have so I know how to treat it.

F me for trying to get an answer and know what this thing is made of. Other manufacturers SAY if their product has gorilla glass or some other scratch resistant glass. WHY do RIM and you people here in this site, keep people in the dark?
    You can keep your sarcasm.
    Last edited by BSFA2008; 10-11-11 at 01:23 AM.
    10-11-11 01:15 AM
    I recently heard that a school in the USA was buying iPads for their kindergarten class.
    Sounds about right.
    10-11-11 01:18 AM

It's simple really.
    You're better than everybody and you know everything about people you have never met.
    You can read my mind while eating a muffin and balancing a baboon on you head. THAT is how awesome you are.

You are... the most intredasting man on erf.
    10-11-11 01:20 AM
    Dear Mr. bla1ze forum master manager moderator sir,

I bumped this thread because I would like to know what I own. Do you buy a car and never want to know how much horse power it has, or a computer without wanting to know what processor it has, or a cell phone without wondering about the screen resolution?

I don't like scratched screens on my devices. I am not "remedial" as you so politely put it. If I bought into all the glittery magical unicorn fairyland hype, I would buy apple products.

I would like to know if the glass is scratch resistant (gorilla glass or not). I am aware gorilla glass is merely scratch resistant and it shatters and cracks like other glass. I would just like to know what I have here, and perhaps have a little peace of mind so I don't have to worry so much about scratching my screen. I would like to know what I have so I know how to treat it.

F me for trying to get an answer and know what this thing is made of. Other manufacturers SAY if their product has gorilla glass or some other scratch resistant glass. WHY do RIM and and you people here in this site, keep people in the dark?

If you don't want to scratch your glass, get a screen protector and be careful with the thing. Then it doesn't matter if the glass has gorilla in front of it

Just trying to help.
    10-11-11 01:23 AM
    WHY do RIM and you people here in this site, keep people in the dark?
    In case you didn't notice -- I was one of the ONLY ones who gave you a straight, direct, concise and accurate answer. You're welcome.
    10-11-11 01:24 AM
    and you, I presume, only use no-name brand products cuz every time someone buys a brand product, a portion of the money goes to the brand holder and we really don't want that it's just wrong
    No, bad presumption. I just don't buy things based on a name people like to say and I'm not going to base my decision on what tablet to buy based on whether or not it can protect itself from my abuse, lthough this thing sure is built nice and rugged, but I do undertand that glass is not meant for car keys and droppage and such, gorilla or not.
    But it's not about me, but thanks for asking
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-11-11 at 01:29 AM.
    10-11-11 01:25 AM
    So many of you are saying it is some sort of similar treated glass. Anybody care to test it it?? Make a youtube video to show us?? Preese?
    10-11-11 01:28 AM
    So many of you are saying it is some sort of similar treated glass. Anybody care to test it it?? Make a youtube video to show us?? Preese?

Note: The Galaxy Tab and Moto Xoom have Gorilla Glass
    heri16 likes this.
    10-11-11 01:30 AM
    If you don't want to scratch your glass, get a screen protector and be careful with the thing. Then it doesn't matter if the glass has gorilla in front of it

Just trying to help.
    get a screen protector... gee golly thanks I never thought of that. Oh wait except I don't like screen protectors.

be careful.... wow. thanks. Never thought of that either.

I don't want to be able to "abuse" my device but I also don't want to have to baby it and carry it around like a faberge egg.

Thanks for trying to help by telling me what to do, but I didn't ask and I am capable of making my own decisions.
    10-11-11 01:39 AM

Note: The Galaxy Tab and Moto Xoom have Gorilla Glass
    Ah rage!!!!! lol thanks bla1ze, but I meant a scratch test of the playbook glass. I thought that was clear. I get it yes gorilla glass cracks. How scratch resistant is playbook glass????

I did a quick search on youtube and came up empty. Just drop tests and scratch tests on OTHER products. I'd just like to know. It's frustrating.

I have the convertable case bit its a little bulky. I'd like to know how safe it is to carry my playbook around in my messenger bag pocket or my zip up binder/portfolio with the glass screen exposed.
    10-11-11 01:46 AM
    First thing I did to my PB is to get a screen protector for it. Put it on, and you don't need to worry about it.
    10-11-11 01:48 AM
    Because Corning has contractual obligations not to comment on such things.

PS: It's not Gorilla Glass. Nor is the iPad 2's

"There's no Gorilla glass on the PlayBook, so while the glass does appear to be pretty tough you'll want to take care of it. Oh, and smudges happen. Deal with it. At least a cleaning cloth is included in the box."
    okay thanks bla1ze. sorry. I'd like to know a little more than "it's pretty tough" lol, but that's better than nothing.

Isn't there some reliable source out there .... or a video of a scratch test???
    10-11-11 01:52 AM
    Ah rage!!!!! lol thanks bla1ze, but I meant a scratch test of the playbook glass. I thought that was clear. I get it yes gorilla glass cracks. How scratch resistant is playbook glass????

I did a quick search on youtube and came up empty. Just drop tests and scratch tests on OTHER products. I'd just like to know. It's frustrating.

I have the convertable case bit its a little bulky. I'd like to know how safe it is to carry my playbook around in my messenger bag pocket or my zip up binder/portfolio with the glass screen exposed.
    Best I can say in that case is, I never have a case on mine.. I toss it in travel bags, laptop bags, suitcases whatever all the time. Nor do I have a screen protector, and mine doesn't have a scratch on it.

Granted, I'm not tossing it against things purposefully either.. I am mindful to not press keys against it or things I think may scratch it but in general I've tossed it in with other tablets and my MacBook Pro with no issues at all.
    ferganer likes this.
    10-11-11 01:52 AM
    Bla1ze You're cracking me up This is the best moderation I've ever seen
    10-11-11 02:00 AM
76 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD