just wondering thx
    04-22-11 09:54 PM
    It appears not.
    04-22-11 09:58 PM
    The glass on the iPad 2 is not gorilla glass. It is believed to be from Asahi Glass in Japan. I'm not sure who the Playbook supplier is but I don't believe that it is gorilla glass either.
    04-22-11 09:58 PM
    If ipad2 isn't using gorilla glass thats a huge mistake, with the recent out reach to the young demographic (toys r us) and some grade schools getting them for students, theres a much more higher percentage of the tab getting destroyed, should be made as tough as possible...
    dakid2k6, Delil and Intosh like this.
    04-22-11 10:04 PM
    I just gotta say that the PB glass is very durable. I accidentally fell asleep while having the PB next to me and woke up laying on top of it. Nothing happened!!
    04-22-11 10:15 PM
    I was fairly certain the playbook was gorilla glass....
    04-22-11 10:22 PM
    iPad uses Dragontail Glass. It is a very suitable challenger to Gorilla Glass.

AFAIK, no one has confirmed or denied GG being used on the PlayBook. Lots of grins when the question is asked but that could mean that it is GG or it could mean they have found something that worked better for them in this application.
    04-22-11 10:39 PM
    I just gotta say that the PB glass is very durable. I accidentally fell asleep while having the PB next to me and woke up laying on top of it. Nothing happened!!
    using that flash to good use?
    04-22-11 10:48 PM
    If ipad2 isn't using gorilla glass thats a huge mistake, with the recent out reach to the young demographic (toys r us) and some grade schools getting them for students, theres a much more higher percentage of the tab getting destroyed, should be made as tough as possible...
    If the kids are looking to bend their ipad 2s, they're in luck:

iPad 2′s thinner glass is remarkably stronger than iPad 1 | 9 to 5 Mac iPad 2′s thinner glass is remarkably stronger than iPad 1 | Apple Intelligence
    04-22-11 11:47 PM

demo of dropping a playbook

note: kinda hurts to watch
    04-23-11 12:31 AM
    Gorilla Glass was developed by Owens Corning almost 40 years ago. It sat on the shelf, so to speak, because there were not many commercial applications. It can be made very thin, very flexible, and extremely tough. Now it is manufactured by many glass companies under other names. So, most likely the PB and most other touch screen devices use it or a variation.
    04-23-11 01:00 AM
    That's a good reason to make sure and dress up your PB! Thanks for sharing that video!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Jen89 likes this.
    04-23-11 01:03 AM

demo of dropping a playbook

note: kinda hurts to watch
    That really makes me want a warranty.
    04-23-11 01:08 AM
    A coworker of mine drop his iPad2 from table height (it was actually on a table) to a hard wood floor and cracked the glass. Doesn't seem that durable to me...
    downphoenix likes this.
    04-23-11 01:16 AM
    I recently heard that a school in the USA was buying iPads for their kindergarten class. Hopefully they are built strong...

I kind of feel that it's too early to intodruce that type of tech to kids. Sure let them mess around with a tablet or a computer at home but they need to know how to do the basics like write and spell. Buuut that's a whole different issue for another thread.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-11 02:40 AM
    Hhhmm watching that movie of the PB getting dropped make me want to order a otterbox or something similar...
    My PB is not here yet but seeing this make me a little bit nervous.
    04-23-11 02:50 AM
    using that flash to good use?
    LOL no. I saw the OS update, started to download it and fell asleep while it was updating.
    04-23-11 12:04 PM
    Bumpity umpity ump....

I would like to know, gorilla glass or some equivalent? Why is it so hard to just get a straight answer? What sort of glass is on my playbook? Has anybody done a key test or other scratch test? (The drop test means nothing.)

I think it is about time we get some sort of straight, no BS, answer, not some little smirk and wink. Plain glass or some sort of scratch resistant glass..... answer us RIM!!!!!!!
    10-10-11 09:22 PM
    I think it is probably scratch resistant but it is NOT gorilla glass.

I would suggest that you will not get an answer to your question and so don't "key" it and consider a screen protector.
    10-10-11 09:56 PM
    Really? This is an issue? I didn't even know I needed Gorilla glass, but then, I don't have a Gorilla.

smirk
    10-10-11 10:06 PM
    WTF why is it so hard to find this out?
    BSFA2008 likes this.
    10-10-11 10:07 PM
    WTF why is it so hard to find this out?
    Because Corning has contractual obligations not to comment on such things.

PS: It's not Gorilla Glass. Nor is the iPad 2's

"There's no Gorilla glass on the PlayBook, so while the glass does appear to be pretty tough you'll want to take care of it. Oh, and smudges happen. Deal with it. At least a cleaning cloth is included in the box."
    10-10-11 10:12 PM
    So nothing that has will ever be known?

Edit: I gotta quit going by what I read in the email it only contained you first line?
    Last edited by kbz1960; 10-10-11 at 10:17 PM. Reason: ugh
    10-10-11 10:15 PM
    So nothing that has will ever be known?
    CORNING� GORILLA� GLASS | FULL PRODUCTS LIST

"Corning� Gorilla� Glass is used by more than 30 major brands, has been designed into more than 500 product models, and is featured on more than 400 million devices worldwide. Due to customer agreements, we cannot identify all devices that feature Gorilla Glass. Your favorite device may include Gorilla Glass, even if you don’t see it listed. Ask your manufacturer or retailer to learn more."
    10-10-11 10:16 PM
    From what i've read it's a magnesium strengthen glass glued to a plastic sensor. So not Gorilla Glass.
    10-10-11 10:21 PM
76 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD