As with use of any hard drive on a PC or laptop the drive can get fragmented with time. Does this happen with the onboard memory of the PB. If so is there a way to de-fragment?
    07-28-12 03:28 PM
    Well that's a first! I've never seen that question before ... but it's a good one. Granted on my PC I haven't had to defrag for years, I suppose that the same thing could happen to the PB's storage. I haven't, however, come across a defrag utility which suggests that it may not be needed.

I have no idea how the PB organizes its data storage but hopefully someone with more knowledge will jump in with some thoughts.
    Talon88 likes this.
    07-28-12 03:34 PM
    Solid state memory does not get "fragmented".

Flash Memory Fragmentation
    Zildjian71 likes this.
    07-28-12 03:41 PM
    There's no point in defragmenting it. Defragging is designed for mechanical hard disks which read data much quicker sequentially. SSDs and Flash storage gain no advantage from data being stored sequentially since their sequential and random access reads are the same speed.
    07-28-12 03:41 PM
    Thanks, One less thing for a PB newby to worry over.
    07-28-12 03:45 PM
    Hey SwitchBeach thanks for the info on Flash file fragmentation, but what about file indexing. I see a lot of talk about peeps PBs slowing down, who have SWiped and debricked, and have tons of storage space, but their PB is slow, lagging or chunky feeling.

I suspect the file system is bogged down indexing. I have the same probs even after deleting many dvd rips. I have about 28g of music (64g PB)

I have not SWiped as I'm waiting for the 2.1 release and will put up with it till after.

I've seen Windows systems bog down not because of limited space or fragmentation but because of a huge population of small files slowing down the indexing of the file system.
    07-28-12 11:50 PM
    Zildjian71, I was facing the same problem.. I had over 1200 mp3 files and 7000+ images on the PlayBook.. A few videos, many applications and games.

There was no issue until I tried to upload media through facebook app and the sheer amount of images would crash the application. Loading the native Files was also getting difficult.

So I security wiped.. Sorted out the data, like everything would go in the right folder, some images from the Internet were buggy, incorrect data, non-image files (result of copy pasting folders).. Some applications (Android) were spoiling the experience.. and corrupt MP3 files. Decluttered it all..

Now I'm upto around 4000+ images, 800 MP3s, 2-4 GB of application and games.. and few videos..

No Complaints!
    07-30-12 12:54 AM
    Solid state memory does not get "fragmented".

Flash Memory Fragmentation
    Ok guys I'm no tech wizard but when I read that link posted by "Switch Beach", it reaches the opposite conclusion of most posters in here so far. Namely that (1) fragmentation of flash memory is in fact a problem and (2) flash memory would benefit from a well-designed defragmenter.

Having said that, I have never seen any mention of defragging the PB memory. A quick Google search finds lots of reference to defragging flash memory or "solid state" drives. WOW that is a blast from the past... we had a "solid state" radio on top of the fridge back in the 1960's.
    07-30-12 09:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD