can we set up folders and store files like Word or Excel files in the PB memory?
    04-04-11 06:07 AM
    Yes. The Playbook will have Documents to Go as an office productivity suite and it has creating/editing/saving capabilities. There are some demos on YouTube.
    04-04-11 06:49 AM
    Yes. The Playbook will have Documents to Go as an office productivity suite and it has creating/editing/saving capabilities. There are some demos on YouTube.
    I think what he meant was whether the PlayBook would have a proper file system, where you can copy/move/delete files in folders. The lack of one on the iPad bugs the heck out of me. Sometimes you just want to dump some files in a folder or download something to store temporarily. On the iPad, you always need an app to open the file directly, you can't just store it in a folder and then access folders from other apps. I really hope PlayBook does it properly.
    04-04-11 08:11 AM
    While we have no idea what specific features any of the standard apps will have in terms of letting you create/copy/move/delete folders and files (other than basic "save" capability of course), the Tablet OS (QNX) does have full standard Posix filesystem capabilities and it's quite simple to create an app which provides basic "file explorer" capability, including creating new folders. In fact, this was the first thing I did in December when I started developing apps. I'm sure you'll see numerous ones on the market.

Generally speaking, an individual app's "own" data goes into a "sandbox" where it can read/write but no other app can read/write.

There's also a "shared" folder, with a number of predefined subfolders inside (e.g. photos/, books/, documents/, music/), and apps are free to create third-level subfolders inside those as appropriate. This tree is intended for "user" data (as opposed to data used only within and by a specific app), so that's where things like your "Word" docs will go.

This "shared" folder tree is presumably the one which will be exposed/accessible when you connect a PlayBook to your desktop machine as a "mass storage device".
    Intosh likes this.
    04-04-11 10:09 AM
    While we have no idea what specific features any of the standard apps will have in terms of letting you create/copy/move/delete folders and files (other than basic "save" capability of course), the Tablet OS (QNX) does have full standard Posix filesystem capabilities and it's quite simple to create an app which provides basic "file explorer" capability, including creating new folders. In fact, this was the first thing I did in December when I started developing apps. I'm sure you'll see numerous ones on the market.

Generally speaking, an individual app's "own" data goes into a "sandbox" where it can read/write but no other app can read/write.

There's also a "shared" folder, with a number of predefined subfolders inside (e.g. photos/, books/, documents/, music/), and apps are free to create third-level subfolders inside those as appropriate. This tree is intended for "user" data (as opposed to data used only within and by a specific app), so that's where things like your "Word" docs will go.

This "shared" folder tree is presumably the one which will be exposed/accessible when you connect a PlayBook to your desktop machine as a "mass storage device".
    Sounds good, I think.

The lack of this on my iPad2 is unacceptable and makes it only an Internet Appliance. I am a LONG time BB user and will keep my eyes on the Playbook to see how everyone likes.
    04-05-11 11:15 AM
    It's almost definite there will be a file system. Either that or they're tricking us. Look at Kevin's demo from a few weeks ago where he goes to Facebook.com on a PlayBook. When he tries to upload a picture, it pops up a file manager to find the right picture. I can't see why you'd only be allowed folders and subfolders for pictures, so I'm assuming there's a file manager.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-11 01:52 PM
    I sure hope so. I already have a folder and file tree on my desktop so that I am pretty ready to go. It would be nice if I could just drag and drop the contents but if I have to recreate that is fine also.

I was thinking of having "Personal" and "Business" and then under each of those folders it would be "Manuals" "Videos" "Pictures"

Of course it might depend on how the PB does this out of the box.
    04-05-11 02:13 PM
    I would like to see this folder functionality in the "upload to facebook" dialog. I have many, many images saved in subfolders under my pictures folder and it would be great to not have to scroll through the entire contents of the pictures folder for a selection to toss onto facebook.
    07-01-11 08:54 PM
    Yes, yes & yes, try the 'Myfilemanager' app by Hiratte Software Solutions, great little piece of work
    07-02-11 02:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD