I just signed up for Netflix and I knew there wasn't an app yet for Netflix out yet besides that queue one (which I don't think it works for us Canadians), but I was hoping the browser would work just fine as if I was watching it on my computer. But it seems like it doesn't. When I click on a video to watch it just brings me to the "Instant Watching System Compatibility" page and that's it. Major bummer. I'm hoping once the Android market comes out in Feb (hopefully), their netflix app comes along with it.
    12-21-11 11:32 PM
    Netflix does not work on Playbook. I can use the browser to log in but movies would not stream.
    12-21-11 11:54 PM
    Netflix uses Silverlight to send stuff to the browser and the pb does not support that system.
    jafobabe and KermEd like this.
    12-22-11 12:12 AM
    No Netflix player, either. One of those "basic" apps that really should have come out with the Playbook's launch.

There is a work-around discussed here someplace, using your PC as a server to stream to the Playbook. Also, Amazon Prime, while not as complete as Netflix, does give you free access to a lot of content that does stream just fine on the Playbook.
    12-22-11 12:27 AM
    ......There is a work-around discussed here someplace,..........
    I have an issue with this kind of work-around method. I really like the Playbook (Hardware)but the software really needs to improve. No wonder RIM is in trouble. The device should work straight out of the box. Netflix is a very popular service. I can watch it on my PC/Sony TV/EXOPC Tablet/Samsung Infuse cell phone without any tweaking on the devices. I just hope the new OS update in Feb will take care some of the issues.
    Last edited by EWY; 12-22-11 at 02:39 PM.
    12-22-11 12:48 AM
    I just got a Kindle Fire and the Netflix experience is completely awesome. I'm REALLY hoping that this capability comes to the upgrade. It's my family's main source for movie entertainment and Santa Claus got Playbooks for my wife and two kids.
    12-22-11 06:40 AM
    We're mostly expecting it in 2.0, or shortly thereafter. It appears to be in the works...
    PanaSama likes this.
    12-22-11 10:38 AM
    Maybe if Microsoft buy RIM they will develop a Silverlight plugin for the PB..

*DUCKS*
    12-22-11 12:31 PM
    We're mostly expecting it in 2.0, or shortly thereafter. It appears to be in the works...
    That's very interesting peter, what is exactly on the works, silverlight or a netfilx app? please keep us informed,.
    12-22-11 12:44 PM
    If you want Netflix on your Playbook use Playon. It is a must have program for the Playbook.

Watch Internet Videos on Your TV | PlayOn
    rrrebo likes this.
    12-22-11 02:28 PM
    Last I heard, Netflix is circling the drain, so pointless to have such an app or player.
    12-22-11 02:32 PM
    If you want Netflix on your Playbook use Playon. It is a must have program for the Playbook.

Watch Internet Videos on Your TV | PlayOn
    Apparently not from the website.
    Last edited by cogsinister; 12-22-11 at 02:55 PM.
    12-22-11 02:34 PM
    Netflix works perfect on Playon. You need silverlight version 4 and do not upgrade it. Just watched a movie in my car using the bridge to Playon
    12-22-11 02:42 PM
    PlayOn works with the PlayBook. The PlayOn program needs to be running on a PC and then the Playbook accesses the PlayOn program on the PC to stream the various sites, such as Netflix. It even works when you are not on your home network, but you have to open up a port on your router to get the access from an external network.

I have set it up and tried it and can confirm it works, even for us Canadians. It will not play content we don't normally have access to, but it does a fine job on sites like Netflix Canada. On the Playbook, you just use the web browser to access the PlayOn application running on your PC.
    12-22-11 02:47 PM
    That's very interesting peter, what is exactly on the works, silverlight or a netfilx app? please keep us informed,.
    I've seen nothing suggesting silverlight will be present, but any dev, and those who've rooted their device, can easily see some signs of Netflix-related work going on in the latest betas. There's a binary called /sbin/netflixinit-omap4 and some Netflix DRM-related stuff in the PPS subsystem.

Netflix may have used Silverlight in the past, but I see no reason yet to think that means anything... why can't they reimplement it on other platforms without using Silverlight? Makes no sense to insist that without Silverlight it can't be done, unless someone with inside info knows that it's somehow inherently dependent on that technology.
    KermEd and cogsinister like this.
    12-22-11 03:20 PM
    Hey robsteve, would this work with slingbox then? Slingbox can be viewed via a web player which I believe uses silverlight technology too, so you can't view it on a playbook. Would playon allow you to view that webstream from your PC onto the playbook?
    12-22-11 03:23 PM
    Hey robsteve, would this work with slingbox then? Slingbox can be viewed via a web player which I believe uses silverlight technology too, so you can't view it on a playbook. Would playon allow you to view that webstream from your PC onto the playbook?
    I don't know. You might want to check at the PlayOn web site to see if slingbox is supported.
    12-22-11 03:33 PM
    I've seen nothing suggesting silverlight will be present, but any dev, and those who've rooted their device, can easily see some signs of Netflix-related work going on in the latest betas. There's a binary called /sbin/netflixinit-omap4 and some Netflix DRM-related stuff in the PPS subsystem.

Netflix may have used Silverlight in the past, but I see no reason yet to think that means anything... why can't they reimplement it on other platforms without using Silverlight? Makes no sense to insist that without Silverlight it can't be done, unless someone with inside info knows that it's somehow inherently dependent on that technology.
    That seems intriguing, what i meant with silverlight is that if RIM adds silverlight support in the browser, Netflix should be usable through the browser without a need for an app, the android and iOS apps dont use silverlight as far as i know and an app similar to those for PB would be the best option.
    12-22-11 05:08 PM

Netflix has slowly been coming but silverlight is not. Microsoft is the only company who cares about silverlight. Dunno how much they paid Netflix to use it or why...

Netflix development can be done without Silverlight - i.e. Android and iOS releases are sans silverlight. I imagine its a background mobile stream using raw video formats.
    12-22-11 09:40 PM
    Last I heard, Netflix is circling the drain, so pointless to have such an app or player.
    Thats what many have recently said about RIMM but I refuse to believe it.
    12-23-11 12:22 AM
    I have PlayOn working on mine. PlayOn includes a local mobile URL that works fine on PlayBook. Netflix is part of the paid packages, however. After the 2-week trial, you will need to subscribe to PlayOn. $5/month, $20/year (down from $40 currently), or $50 lifetime (one-time payment).
    12-23-11 12:32 AM
    Everything I try to do on the Playbook fails. It's got to be the most frustratingly disappointing tech purchase I've ever made. It's really no wonder that RIM is going down the toilet. Too bad.
    06-02-14 09:46 PM
    Everything I try to do on the Playbook fails. It's got to be the most frustratingly disappointing tech purchase I've ever made. It's really no wonder that RIM is going down the toilet. Too bad.
    I see this is your first post. No offence, but this has been a LONG KNOWN issue and perhaps a little research should have been done before a purchase was made. It's a topic which comes up from time to time on these forums, and the answer is always the same. Silverlight needed to view in browser, and no app available. Even sideloaded Android app doesn't work.
    Netflix is a lost cause on this tablet, and the situation will not change.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    06-03-14 12:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD