will a universal charging pad work on the playbook? my playbook isnt charging through the port anymore.
    03-07-12 06:24 PM
    Confused about your question? What exactly do you mean by "universal charging pad"?
    03-07-12 06:29 PM
    a charging pad. the thing where you just put your phone or ipod or whatever on it and it charges it without wires.
    03-07-12 06:31 PM
    The RIM charging pod works---usually. Dunno about a pad.
    03-07-12 06:35 PM
    Did you check the documentation? Any charging pads/stations I've seen are pretty brand specific. I've never seen a "universal" one.
    03-07-12 06:36 PM
    Powermat 2X Wireless Charging Mat (PM-M2P-CA1) : Wireless Charging - Future Shop

thats a link to a charging pad if i posted it properly.

and if these pads dont work are there any suggestions on a way for me to charge it? its definitely the charging port thats the problem not my chargers.
    03-07-12 06:44 PM
    No it does not!

But you can buy a "Rapid Charger" that uses the 4 pin slot they work very well and very fast.

You can find them on here I think!
    03-07-12 06:46 PM
    My understanding of how most charging pads working they become like a skin on your device and then there is a little connector that plugs into the standard port on the device. So when you drop the device on the pad energy is transferred between the back case and the pad and transferred to the device through the standard port.

If you usb port is not working on your device then a pad won't work.

Using the BB charging stand however will work because it uses the port to the right of the usb to charge not the usb port itself. It's a contact charger not usb.

Hope that helps
    03-07-12 08:47 PM
    Wow! I can't believe no one has heard of a charging pad except me and sandhu03!
    I know exactly what you mean...And no Legellan, nothing plugs into the device itself otherwise it would absolutely defeat the purpose of the pad. It simply plugs into an electrical outlet and you lay your devices on it. BUT I don`t know if it would work. You should contact RIM and ask
    03-09-12 08:57 AM
    03-09-12 08:59 AM
    There is some major confusion in this thread. The power mat works by putting a special cover on your phone that allows it to charge conductively through the charging pad which is plugged into a wall. The phone cover on certain blackberrys would just replace the back battery cover and connect to the metal prongs that are used for the blackberry charging stands (something the PB doesn't have). The iPhone has a cover that slides into the charging port of the phone and has a conductive backing. Basically the case is plugged into the charging port of the phone and conductively connects through the case to the charging pad.

To answer you question though, no, this is not possible with the PlayBook.
    03-09-12 09:11 AM
    There are two types of wireless charging pads: Conducting and inducting pads. The Duracell MyGrid has contact points on it which mate with a special sleeve for your electronics to be housed in. That sleeve has the contact points which draw the electricity through direct connection. This type is convenient and doesn't require any "wires" between the sleve and the mat, but it still requires direct electrical contact.

The second type of charging pad uses inductive current and is used by PowerMat. Also Palm/HP Touchstone and Energizer Qi used this type of charging. I have seen HTC devices also with this type of capability. In these cases, there is a special battery door (for the Palm/HP Pre and Pixi phones) or hardware built in (for the HP Touchpad) with an inductive coil. Thus, the batteries don't just charge when placed on one of the wireless charging pads, they need the indictive hardware integrated somehow. I do know that PowerMat (and maybe a few others) was working on special batteries that had the inductive coils build in so almost any device could be inductively charged by just replacing the batteries. However, those type of batteries never made it to market. It was a great idea though.

So, no the PB will not charge inductively. It doesn't have the hardware necessary to make it work. If the USB port on the PB is messed up, then you need the Rapid Charger which uses a "MagSafe" type connector and connects next to the USB port, opposite the micro HDMI port. These are your options:

Amazon.com: Blackberry Rapid Travel Charger for Playbook - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

or

Amazon.com: Blackberry Rapid Charging Stand for Playbook - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
    SEAWARRIOR and WeAreNotAlone like this.
    03-09-12 10:38 AM
    There are two types of wireless charging pads: Conducting and inducting pads. The Duracell MyGrid has contact points on it which mate with a special sleeve for your electronics to be housed in. That sleeve has the contact points which draw the electricity through direct connection. This type is convenient and doesn't require any "wires" between the sleve and the mat, but it still requires direct electrical contact.

The second type of charging pad uses inductive current and is used by PowerMat. Also Palm/HP Touchstone and Energizer Qi used this type of charging. I have seen HTC devices also with this type of capability. In these cases, there is a special battery door (for the Palm/HP Pre and Pixi phones) or hardware built in (for the HP Touchpad) with an inductive coil. Thus, the batteries don't just charge when placed on one of the wireless charging pads, they need the indictive hardware integrated somehow. I do know that PowerMat (and maybe a few others) was working on special batteries that had the inductive coils build in so almost any device could be inductively charged by just replacing the batteries. However, those type of batteries never made it to market. It was a great idea though.

So, no the PB will not charge inductively. It doesn't have the hardware necessary to make it work. If the USB port on the PB is messed up, then you need the Rapid Charger which uses a "MagSafe" type connector and connects next to the USB port, opposite the micro HDMI port. These are your options:

Amazon.com: Blackberry Rapid Travel Charger for Playbook - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

or

Amazon.com: Blackberry Rapid Charging Stand for Playbook - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
    I'm wondering if the inductive coil of a Palm Touchstone (Or a Qi spec'd one) could be hooked up to the pins coming off the micro usb port, or piggybacking onto the MagSafe" type connector used by the Rapid Charger Pod could be done.

12-16-12 10:38 PM
    You need to change the battery for this to work so simple answer NO
    12-17-12 01:51 AM
    Just be wary of third party charger when it comes to playbook. It might not be powerful enough to charge your device. The risk of it is your playbook will be draining battery to the point that it can't "wake up".
    12-17-12 04:29 PM
    You need to change the battery for this to work so simple answer NO
    Charging circuit is in the battery?

Q: Are you responding to my post in which a inductive charger is tied in to the charging circuit?
    12-17-12 04:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD