I'm ashamed to admit this but as a more than decade long BlackBerry user, I have no.clue on the workings of BIS although I've had my hotmail/rogers and gmail email accounts linked to my BlackBerry alongside my corporate BES account for ever. I'm heading off on a long term leave of absence to travel the world with my family so will leave the BES environment behind shortly, but this wonderful new Bridge functionality has got me wondering if I'm going to lose this now that I'll just be connected through BIS. Can one of you kind BIS types let me know how Bridge works for you, if at all? Thanks.
    09-03-11 07:27 AM
    Bridge works fine. Browser, BBM, e-mail all work well for me.
    09-03-11 07:42 AM
    If anything I would think bridge would be crippled by BES and policies.
    sedalia066 likes this.
    09-03-11 07:53 AM
    Bridge works great for me on BIS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    sedalia066 likes this.
    09-03-11 03:58 PM
    if bridge did not work over BIS, the playbook would have been a serious flop.
    09-03-11 05:02 PM
    if bridge did not work over BIS, the playbook would have been a serious flop.
    As opposed to a less than serious flop!
    09-04-11 10:38 PM
    BIS works and you can use the browser, Bing maps, Facebook etc using BIS on the Playbook. BIS doesn't give 3G speeds so it isn't great here in Australia. But I tell you what, I was over in Malaysia recently and bought a prepaid SIM and they charge 70 Aussie cents a day and it gives you unlimited BIS data (but no streaming and tethering, i.e Bridge is free but not internet tethering as it uses 3G data)!!! I was over the moon and the speeds you get there is insane, practically 3G speeds, so all my browsing on my blackberry and Playbook were blazing.

mapsonburt likes this.
    09-05-11 12:14 AM
    Thanks Exzibit3... I'm heading to Malaysia after January so that's great to know. Still not sure how BIS works but hey, I'm delighted its supporting Bridge so I'll be quite happy to power off BES when my leave kicks in in a few weeks! Thanks guys (& gals).
    09-05-11 03:59 PM
    Thanks Exzibit3... I'm heading to Malaysia after January so that's great to know. Still not sure how BIS works but hey, I'm delighted its supporting Bridge so I'll be quite happy to power off BES when my leave kicks in in a few weeks! Thanks guys (& gals).
    Get a Digi prepaid card if you do go to Malaysia, you activate the Blackberry plan by sending a text message "ON BB UNLIMITED" to the number 2000 (all info on their website). Just remember not to stream youtube vids or tether as it's not included, but otherwise you're good to go with Bridge and also browsing on Opera Mini (co-branded with Digi) on the phone is blazing quick (Digi says up to 6 times faster).

09-05-11 07:58 PM
    Get a Digi prepaid card if you do go to Malaysia, you activate the Blackberry plan by sending a text message "ON BB UNLIMITED" to the number 2000 (all info on their website). Just remember not to stream youtube vids or tether as it's not included, but otherwise you're good to go with Bridge and also browsing on Opera Mini (co-branded with Digi) on the phone is blazing quick (Digi says up to 6 times faster).

Anything like that for European travel? Last time I was in Europe, Verizon still had their Global plan which was UNlimited data (and reduced phone call charges) but that's been eliminated.
    09-05-11 08:58 PM
    Anything like that for European travel? Last time I was in Europe, Verizon still had their Global plan which was UNlimited data (and reduced phone call charges) but that's been eliminated.
    Not sure but you could check this http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/free-blackberry-sim-cards/ I haven't tried it so best you do some research before you go.

09-06-11 01:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD