The multitasking is really snappy and easy to use, webpages are always fast and responsive (excluding heavy flash use). The gestures to minimize applications from the bezel bottom is fun and so is watching them fly up into the task tray, it's also fun flicking them away. Bringing down settings menus is nice, so is moving left to right between applications.

Overall I just like using it. Sometimes I open a bunch of applications at once just so I can flick them all away because it's entertaining. RIM really had a great idea with the touch sensitive bezel, it wouldn't surprise me if other tablet manufacturers copy them in the near future (and act like they invented it). In my opinion android and iOS aren't nearly as fun to use for the day to day operations (and don't look as nice either). iOS is pretty snappy most of the time on the ipad2 although the multitasking is garbage. Android has good multitasking but the interface does seem to get choppy sometimes even on the higher end tablets like the xoom. The playbook really has both of these features nailed perfectly.

The widgets in android are useful but it can make things look very cluttered. I personally like a minimalist approach to interfaces and with android if you don't have 5 widgets on every homescreen it feels like you aren't using it to it's fullest potential. When you go with tones of widgets everywhere it just feels like an information overload and looks ugly. The playbook has a very nice balance with this as you can just leave applications open to act like widgets. You can also hide them all with a flick, a very clever approach and while not perfect it's still very much functional.
    Last edited by turqrazor; 05-25-11 at 12:38 PM.
    05-25-11 12:33 PM
    The multitasking is really snappy and easy to use, webpages are always fast and responsive (excluding heavy flash use). The gestures to minimize applications from the bezel bottom is fun and so is watching them fly up into the task tray, it's also fun flicking them away. Bringing down settings menus is nice, so is moving left to right between applications.

Overall I just like using it. Sometimes I open a bunch of applications at once just so I can flick them all away because it's entertaining. RIM really had a great idea with the touch sensitive bezel, it wouldn't surprise me if other tablet manufacturers copy them in the near future (and act like they invented it). In my opinion android and iOS aren't nearly as fun to use for the day to day operations (and don't look as nice either). iOS is pretty snappy most of the time on the ipad2 although the multitasking is garbage. Android has good multitasking but the interface does seem to get choppy sometimes even on the higher end tablets like the xoom. The widgets are useful but it can make things look very cluttered while with the playbook you can just keep applications open which has a similar effect but looks much cleaner. The playbook really has both of these features nailed perfectly.
    I would 100% agree. For me the "fun" factor is enough for me to stay uptodate on the PB development (reading crack berry everyday) but not enough for me to dump my IPAD2 yet.

A 10inch screen and more functionality and back to the PB I go.
    05-25-11 12:38 PM
    I would 100% agree. For me the "fun" factor is enough for me to stay uptodate on the PB development (reading crack berry everyday) but not enough for me to dump my IPAD2 yet.

A 10inch screen and more functionality and back to the PB I go.
    Personally, I love the small design of the playbook, and it's part of the reason why I bought it but I can understand why some people would want the bigger tablets.
    05-25-11 12:40 PM
    Personally, I love the small design of the playbook, and it's part of the reason why I bought it but I can understand why some people would want the bigger tablets.
    Same here using it for work while i walking around one my clients facilities make it alot more easier than a 10 inch tablet.
    05-25-11 12:46 PM
    It's a fun platform, it would be more so if there was more to do on it. Developers will hopefully fix that.
    05-25-11 12:46 PM
    Serious question "no" attack intended.

Have any of you who love the PB size actually tested (for a few days) a 10 inch tablet?

IMHO 10 inch is the minimum amount of screen real estate to get work done. And yes I tried on the PB. Ignoring the issues with browsing large PDF files, or file incompatability of course the PB was a bit small.
    05-25-11 12:51 PM
    Even though I returned mine, I loved the 7" size and weight as compared to my iPad, granted I didnt get to do much "work" on the Playbook but I imagine the apps I need will work fine on a 7" screen if they're released, it's just a matter of pan/zoom to get things done. The PB hardware is hard to fault if you as me, it's almost perfect (Metal would have been my choice of material).

Have any of you who love the PB size actually tested (for a few days) a 10 inch tablet?

IMHO 10 inch is the minimum amount of screen real estate to get work done. And yes I tried on the PB. Ignoring the issues with browsing large PDF files, or file incompatability of course the PB was a bit small.
    05-25-11 12:56 PM

Actually yes but with my work an ipad or xoom is just not ideal for walking around a manufacturing plant pulling up files from my last inspection and technical standards i have to refer to a 10 inch tablet just feels odd. The 7 inch tablet be a playbook or Flyer (I think is 7 inches) is just easier to use being a size of a journal book i can just use it faster.
    Last edited by Foreverup; 05-25-11 at 01:01 PM.
    05-25-11 12:58 PM
    funny thing is that quite often I end up doing the same gestures on my phone and other tablets, playbook bezel gestures are a no brainier and quite intuitive.
    05-25-11 01:44 PM
    I love the size of this tablet. Easier to take with me on the go. Fits in the side pouch of my lunch cooler that I take to work. Also feels a little more private when using it in public since its not as noticeable
    05-25-11 01:54 PM
    A lot more fun than the iPad, which always made me hyper whenever I used it. It's been collecting dist since I got the Playbook. Nice not using iTunes and the closed Apple sphere.
    05-25-11 02:00 PM
    Yes I think it is fun to use. I think the thing RIM got most right with it is the minimize app gesture/side to side app switching/flick to close gesture. That whole sequence. In fact even the reviews that were lukewarm and bad as I recall were either not critical of the interface or even downright complimentary to RIM over it. So obviously RIM will take a clue when doing the QNX phones, from all that and try to match it in feel.

Before anyone points out that RIM "copied" some of this from WebOS, yes I know they are similar.
    05-25-11 02:37 PM
    even as people QQ about this and that i find more and more uses for it. i love the multitasking, it isnt needed though but love being able to swipe through vcn, browser, bbm, a game, movie, and word all while the game and movie are unpaused. yes ive done it all of it at once. i used both old and updated honeycomb, o don't like the multi screen for placing apps and crashing widgets. widgets i find more useless then multitasking. even on windows i only got a clock thats it and thats useless. but the multiscreen on the xoom drove me nuts with not knowing were i put my mail button or some widget. the 4 pains just drove me nuts and i winded up favoring the middle two. then the browser was.... bad just bad. even with the most upto date one couldn't load half of what the playbook can. still crashed on snafu's comic page. the ipad is just that ios. i can get the same thing on a ipod touch.
    so yes as a original tablet os this is defently a good fun interface. it does have a little ios feel but think about it how many variations can you really make.
    05-25-11 02:47 PM
    Wait and see touchpad next month. Would be very similar, but it may not have the bezel touch. Personally Pb is a dejavu of palm pre or pixi, only bigger.
    05-25-11 07:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD