Jus like Galaxy Tab,

can new 4G Playbook support phone calling feature through SIM Card numbers ?
    10-24-12 04:21 AM
    I asked that same question a little while ago;
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-phone-739576/

and got one (rather rude) no and a couple of other replies. I think it would be cool with an in car kit or headset. It would require at least a dialer app.
    10-24-12 06:41 AM
    man.. i really wish they introduce the calling feature.. i would love PB !
    10-24-12 06:53 AM
    If it can that would be a selling point but haven't heard anything at all like that. Only thing about the new PlayBook is it's 4G and has only 32gb memory.
    10-24-12 06:53 AM
    Who knows, time will tell, me after BB10.

But after thinking about it, would you really needed it after BB10.
    10-24-12 07:53 AM
    Well it's something I wouldn't use but would be a nice option for someone who doesn't have a cell phone maybe? My phone is always on me if I have my ear piece why wouldn't I just use it? You're going to use an ear piece to talk over you're tablet or are you doing to just speakerphone it? It would be nice to have an option on the notice of a call to be to choose answer.

Won't your tablet need a phone minutes plan then too?
    10-24-12 08:04 AM
    I rather have a universal chat application than being able to make phone calls on my playbook. PlayBook native app would be a good on, being able to switch to audio only rather than just video for when you may not be able to make a video chat.
    kbz1960 and MTL like this.
    10-24-12 08:24 AM
    Well so far it doesn't. Personally the battery life on the PlayBook 4G is terrible. Over Wifi its fine but as soon as you go on to using LTE That's a whole different story. I'm pretty sure that the hardware capabilities are there. Technically you could use a bluetooth headset (theoretically) but with no native calling application its not possible. Also I don't think the SIM is provisioned for voice usage. I think they only have data only provisioning.
    10-24-12 01:19 PM
    No it cannot make or receive calls
    10-24-12 01:29 PM
    you can using VoIP solutions like Comwave
    toneytone likes this.
    10-24-12 02:27 PM
    I use my Galaxy Nexus with a data only plan.
    Its native dialer has a sip client built in.
    If the 4g Playbook and a sip client like Taki had been available on July 1st I would not have an Android phone.
    10-24-12 07:55 PM
    I have the 4g and I'm surprised it didn't have a dialer. Seems lime an oversight.
    10-25-12 01:35 AM
    If you mean they just forgot to put in I don't think so.
    The entire playbook team is...Terrence and Phillip.

Seriously I am pretty sure that is not what you meant.
    10-25-12 04:16 PM
    I was actually told by a RIM insider it was coming...but who really knows now. I think they've only sold 5 LTEs, lol.
    10-25-12 04:29 PM
    Yes, Comwave's ePhone for Playbook app works great with the wifi PB. And a nice backup for a cell phone, must have for car mounted PB's. If the.
    Phone dies on you when out, there should be many free hotspots in a city, to connect and call landlines from your PB. It also supports messaging when connected to someone.
    toneytone likes this.
    10-25-12 06:28 PM
    Yes, Comwave's ePhone for Playbook app works great with the wifi PB. And a nice backup for a cell phone, must have for car mounted PB's. If the.
    Phone dies on you when out, there should be many free hotspots in a city, to connect and call landlines from your PB. It also supports messaging when connected to someone.
    Tha.Housewife likes this.
    10-25-12 06:29 PM
    I think this could be the edge the playbook could utilize if made available for the 4G models. I would add a line if had the chance. I would think about downsizing to one device but I don't know about being forced to lug the playbook every. Cause currently I don't on short trips out of the house.
    10-25-12 07:40 PM
    Kuzuranda and Taki are alternatives to Comwave and better imho.
    10-25-12 07:55 PM
    I would hold off. I think car ogmented reality is coming.
    12-18-12 08:33 PM
    i've said b4 that giving the playbook, wifi & 4g/lte model, the ability to act as an extension of the phone it's bridged to, i.e. make/recieve calls, would be AWESOME,,, the hardware is there, all they gotta do is turn it on,,, that would put them ahead of everybody instantly & demand would be insane...
    12-18-12 11:14 PM
    This is fricking ridiculous! Can't other tablets send and receive calls? I just assumed any tablet with data access was able to make and receive phone calls!! I realize there is bridge but having the option to go to one device would be great! I would seriously consider just a 4G PB if calls could be made and received. Sort of assumed this was a no brainer. Hey, as BB7 now allows voice calls over BBM, I can envision the PB getting this option in BB10 and eventually, video chat coming as well. This would mean BB video calling from handset to handset, a great boon for the enterprise sector....video conference calling at no cost for corporations...as long as they all used BB handsets!! Anyways, I digress....we need calls from the 4G PB!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!
    12-19-12 09:54 AM