Has anyone seen a dock / stand for the playbook which has an HDMI connection integrated into it?

I'd like to have my dock permanently connected to an HDMI port on my TV, so I can just drop in my playbook and it will have both power and video connection.

If not, anyone know if the Rapid Charging Stand currently for sale in the store leaves the HDMI port accessible? i.e. can I put it in the stand and manually connect an HDMI cable while it's in there? Or is it blocked? Thanks!!
    03-24-11 01:41 PM
    Has anyone seen a dock / stand for the playbook which has an HDMI connection integrated into it?

I'd like to have my dock permanently connected to an HDMI port on my TV, so I can just drop in my playbook and it will have both power and video connection.

If not, anyone know if the Rapid Charging Stand currently for sale in the store leaves the HDMI port accessible? i.e. can I put it in the stand and manually connect an HDMI cable while it's in there? Or is it blocked? Thanks!!
    so your after a dock like there are for phones with all 3 ports on the back of the dock? sounds ideal! i want one too
    03-24-11 02:26 PM
    so your after a dock like there are for phones with all 3 ports on the back of the dock? sounds ideal! i want one too
    Yep - you nailed it. I haven't seen one yet, but I have to believe that one exists, or is being actively developed now. So if anyone has info, post it here!! Thanks
    03-24-11 02:50 PM
    wow thats cool
    03-24-11 02:53 PM
    The pics that I've seen of the standard "charging dock" are with one connector sticking up and a three prong jack in the back (takes straight 120v but it's one of those connectors with three round prongs in the shape of a triangle). Have a look at BlackBerry - 4G PlayBook Tablet PC. Get BlackBerry 4G PlayBook Tablet If it had HDMI, I would think there would be a jack in the back also. It would be pretty hard to make the jack on the Playbook itself still accessible.

I hope there are others. I would like HDMI right on the dock.
    Last edited by snuci; 03-24-11 at 03:48 PM.
    03-24-11 03:46 PM
    The pics that I've seen of the standard "charging dock" are with one connector sticking up and a three prong jack in the back (takes straight 120v but it's one of those connectors with three round prongs in the shape of a triangle). Have a look at BlackBerry - 4G PlayBook Tablet PC. Get BlackBerry 4G PlayBook Tablet If it had HDMI, I would think there would be a jack in the back also. It would be pretty hard to make the jack on the Playbook itself still accessible.

I hope there are others. I would like HDMI right on the dock.
    Thanks for the detail on the dock. I imagine that with a little Dremmel work, I could make the HDMI port accessible ; but obviously this isn't my first choice. I can't imagine someone not making a dock with all the ports connected in the back...there has to be a worthwhile market for this.
    03-24-11 03:55 PM
    Yea, I was looking for the same. Considering Best Buy sells the dock for 80 dollars, I'd like to see a dock with HDMI not blocked off. I think it would make watching movies on my TV much more enjoyable having my PB sitting up in a dock.
    03-30-11 01:57 PM
    Meh, I ordered a 10 ft micro hdmi to hdmi cord for $4.35 from amazon.ca ($9.35 after shipping). I want a nice long cord so I can use the playbook on my couch/in my bed while it plays video's on the tv.
    03-30-11 02:22 PM
    I'm pretty disappointed with the OEM dock. Seems like the only function is charging. As a minimum, would be nice if it allows USB syncing too. There are a ton of iPhone/iPad docks that have these features, hopefully someone will make one for PlayBook too.
    03-30-11 03:11 PM
    wow, i never thought of that. To have a dock without the hdmi being accessible is crazy.
    03-30-11 03:19 PM
    wow, i never thought of that. To have a dock without the hdmi being accessible is crazy.
    do we actually have it confirmed that it does not have the hdmi out though?
    03-30-11 03:21 PM
    do we actually have it confirmed that it does not have the hdmi out though?
    It is pretty clear it does not have HDMI out. I'm sure Seidio will have one eventually.

Staples.com� |More Views
    03-30-11 03:25 PM
    It is pretty clear it does not have HDMI out. I'm sure Seidio will have one eventually.

Staples.com� |More Views
    It definitely does not. However, with a bit of dremel work in the circled area, I bet I could make it work. But this is definitely not my first choice. Someone reading this, please make a real one!

03-30-11 03:46 PM
    Any news about the the doc with hdmi output?
    08-04-11 01:39 PM
    I am also looking for this dock/stand. I wonder if someone has seen one yet.
    Enth likes this.
    11-25-11 02:06 PM

That would be nice huh? BUT it would cause unnecessary wear on your hdmi connector unless all you do is watch movies with it.
    Not recommended - a hole in the regular stand would give you the option of connecting it or not....

Just wait until the bluetooth connection for using your phone as a remote BT controller comes - then the PB would never have to leave its dock for applications like this!
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-25-11 at 06:49 PM.
    11-25-11 06:44 PM
    Wow, I've had my playbook for a couple of days now and the first accessory I'm looking for is a dock with HDMI or at least accessible. I find it hard to believe that nothing has come out yet on this.

Time for a little McGyver on some cheap charging stations
    01-06-12 08:56 PM
    Wow, I've had my playbook for a couple of days now and the first accessory I'm looking for is a dock with HDMI or at least accessible. I find it hard to believe that nothing has come out yet on this.

Time for a little McGyver on some cheap charging stations
    I have to agree. I've thought from the beginning that it would have been cool for the dock to include a USB connection along with charging, but HDMI would be brilliant.

Now, the current charging dock would be compromised by that just a bit; the whole idea is that you're supposed to just kind of drop the device in and not have to worry about the connection. What's being proposed here would require a certain amount of effort required to line the device up and then press it down.

Best? A data/video connection that worked over that nifty magnetic charging port... Maybe in hardware v2? (PS, RIM, if you're listening, a seamless way to dock like this for charge/data/video would put the iPad to shame... Just sayin'...)
    01-06-12 09:03 PM
    I have to agree. I've thought from the beginning that it would have been cool for the dock to include a USB connection along with charging, but HDMI would be brilliant.

Now, the current charging dock would be compromised by that just a bit; the whole idea is that you're supposed to just kind of drop the device in and not have to worry about the connection. What's being proposed here would require a certain amount of effort required to line the device up and then press it down.

Best? A data/video connection that worked over that nifty magnetic charging port... Maybe in hardware v2? (PS, RIM, if you're listening, a seamless way to dock like this for charge/data/video would put the iPad to shame... Just sayin'...)
    I think you have identified the potential issue - getting the line up correct with a plug in hdmi cable. I have a feeling the tolerances are not close enough to allow a good alignment without placing too much pressure on the hdmi port. They would have needed another proprietary plug like the rapid charger making it another special purchase. Now it uses the standard micro-hdmi
    01-06-12 10:29 PM
    I really hope a dock with charging and HDMI pass through happens. Especially now with OS2 allowing my BlackBerry to remotely control my Playbook, and the video store. I know this thread has been active for almost a year... Has anyone heard anything (OEM or not)?
    01-11-12 10:48 AM
    I think you have identified the potential issue - getting the line up correct with a plug in hdmi cable. I have a feeling the tolerances are not close enough to allow a good alignment without placing too much pressure on the hdmi port. They would have needed another proprietary plug like the rapid charger making it another special purchase. Now it uses the standard micro-hdmi
    If you take a look at the torch dock you might think otherwise. The torch has a microusb plug (similar to minihdmi) and the thing is that on the doc the usb connector floats, so it can wiggle a bit. This prevents the excess wear. Now the difference is that the torch dock has sides to it which guide the phone into place, where as the standard playbook dock does not. I would love to see a dock like this since I have spare playbook and the remote over bridge feature was just announced. This would make a perfect home theater pc / couch browser.
    01-13-12 05:26 PM
    Just wanted to give another vote for a HDMI & Charging dock solution. Hopefully someone will notice...
    01-14-12 04:00 PM
    If the Playbook recovers I hope some enterprising company does come out with a docking station that is both a charger and port replicator.

I think it is a great idea to have an HDMI port on the docking station. I suspect once OS 2.0 is released we will have Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, and other streaming applications available. The HDMI port will be very handy to have on the dock.

But unless sales of the Playbook take off after OS 2.0 is released, no company is likely to invest in PB accessories.
    01-15-12 04:41 PM
    Seems ones in production somewhere.....

OEM PlayBook Docking Station Photos Emerge
    02-20-12 01:04 PM
    I to am looking for this ...
    02-21-12 06:44 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD