I have had my Playbook since release date. As I have perused this forum for all the tidbits of information related to this tablet, I have to let out my frustration. It seems to me there a lot of people who are infected with verucasaltitis (named after the spoiled English girl in Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - original version). This annoying disease is evidenced by wanting everything and wanting it right now coupled with the inability to enjoy or appreciate whatever it is that they get!

You have varucasaltitis if your posts are seasoned with:
    "I want it and it should be on the Playbook and it isn't." Which translated means, "RIM doesn't love me if they don't give me what I want right now." or

If there is not update, they say, "Why don't we have an update? When will we get an update? If I don't get an update soon I am going to to leave BlackBerry forever and go buy an iPhone and iPad2!" (Which translated is akin to "I am going to take my marbles and go home!" or "I am going to hold my breath and pass out - then you'll be sorry!")

If there is an update, they say, "What a silly update! It doesn't have what I want in it. If it doesn't have what I think should be in it, then why have an update? It should have what I want because I want it and I want it right now!!" (add a good old fashioned foot stomp)

Those with verucasaltitis often lament the death of RIM because they bring out "half-baked" devices; in their opinion RIM should delay bringing out a device until it has everything they want on it..

Those with verucasaltitis lament the death of RIM because they don't bring out new devices fast enough; in their opinion RIM should bring out a device before it is ready so they can compete with all other device makers.

VerucaSaltitis sufferers' posts often contain a certain amount of victimization: they are the victims of RIM's lack of concern to fulfill their wants and needs. How can RIM not do what they want, since they know what is best for RIM.

Fellow Playbook owners, we are not spoiled children; we are, for the most part, adults. The Playbook is a great device. It is still in its infancy, but it is fast maturing to be quite an incredible piece of technology. We need to take a deep breath and realize this fact and appreciate it.

Does this mean that we are deaf dumb and blind PBfans? No. It does mean that we can seek improvements without sounding like spoiled little children. We can appreciate the complexities of the changes we seek and allow RIM the opportunity to help the Playbook mature. There is a world of difference in making a constructive suggestion for improvement and sounding like Veruca Salt. I am one who hopes that there will be more construction that complaining, more working together than whining.
    Last edited by newcollector; 06-15-11 at 12:35 PM.
    06-14-11 12:06 PM
    Very interesting post.

But the PB isn't being given out for free.

Instead It is something that people pay for.

As such shouldn't someone have the right to complain / comment / demand certain things from the products they purchase?

Oh and pot they name is black.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    06-14-11 12:15 PM
    Well played, sir. Couldn't agree more.
    06-14-11 12:15 PM
    Very interesting post.

But the PB isn't being given out for free.

Instead It is something that people pay for.

As such shouldn't someone have the right to complain / comment / demand certain things from the products they purchase?

Oh and pot they name is black.
    But you returned yours so can't really demand anything. Just Joking not starting a battle.

But the OP does have a point there is a lot "I want now" around here
    06-14-11 12:17 PM
    Complain? Yes, although we dont really care about people's complaints. Take that to RIM. If you have questions or issues, well sure that's what forums are for.

Comment? Yes

Demand? No. You bought a product, if you didn't do your homework, its your fault. This is the OP's issue (I think). People always feeling like once you purchase a product, people think they are the new CEO or something. If you're pissed that this doesn't/wont have the features you want, well you should have waited until it did or found something else.
    DeeLishusOne likes this.
    06-14-11 12:23 PM
    I love the Playbook. This nascent device is not even two months old yet clearly demonstrates the enormous potential of the QNX OS which already delivers some of the best performance in the mobile computing world. The hardware is absolutely top notch. The UI is matchless IMHO. Access to the entire web. Excellent battery life. The bridge functions are killer.

Is the PB perfect? No. Not by a long shot but it is already arguably the best tablet on the market and has only just begun its evolution.
    06-14-11 12:33 PM
    I do agree and yes there are things I would want and would like. We know the hardware can deliver and I think this makes us want! We have been used to similar technology in other devices which we know can do it and has it. This makes us want.

But I had the choice to buy my PB and I am glad I did. I will give it the 12 months to see how it evolves. I just don't have a need for any tablet really so unless the things I want come to the Tablet then it will be sold.

Although some posts are I want it should have most posts follow the same theme. It's just some are written with a little more thought and tact than others. If someone from RIM actually read through this forum and picked out the good they would have a killer device. I think half the frustration is not knowing what is being developed and some of the things which are missing are quite frustrating. Other things which are added such AOL email links that you can't delete only add to the frustrations.
    06-14-11 12:45 PM
    Complain? Yes, although we dont really care about people's complaints. Take that to RIM. If you have questions or issues, well sure that's what forums are for.

Comment? Yes

Demand? No. You bought a product, if you didn't do your homework, its your fault. This is the OP's issue (I think). People always feeling like once you purchase a product, people think they are the new CEO or something. If you're pissed that this doesn't/wont have the features you want, well you should have waited until it did or found something else.
    I respectfully disagree. Forums are for exchange of ALL ideas, complaints, questions, etc.

If everyone thought like you and sought to become the arbiter for what should or should not be allowed, then nothing would be allowed.

It's getting bad enough as it is that whenever people ask harmless questions they're invariably excoriated or met with snarky remarks (such as Google is your friend or look it up yourself). I don't see the harm in someone complaining about a product they spent their money on, it's their right. If I don't like their complaints, it's also my right to ignore them, I'm not obligated to respond to every post.

The concept of the forums has been getting more and more corrupted everyday.
    06-14-11 12:47 PM
    I have no complaints about this device, well maybe a couple little irritations, but I'm confident future updates will correct things.

Do I still get cheese?
    06-14-11 12:55 PM
    I respectfully disagree. Forums are for exchange of ALL ideas, complaints, questions, etc.

If everyone thought like you and sought to become the arbiter for what should or should not be allowed, then nothing would be allowed.

It's getting bad enough as it is that whenever people ask harmless questions they're invariably excoriated or met with snarky remarks (such as Google is your friend or look it up yourself). I don't see the harm in someone complaining about a product they spent their money on, it's their right. If I don't like their complaints, it's also my right to ignore them, I'm not obligated to respond to every post.

I agree with you on most points. But, I think some of the frustration around here is new threads are posted with the same complaints over and over again. People do have start using the search button more.
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    06-14-11 12:56 PM
    I agree and I am sure just like all the other devices RIM is releasing sometime in the future will be good. Until that future date lands all of their current products including the greatly spec'd playbook are all behind the curve and a waste of hard earned money.

Cheers heres to the future give me my cheese as I will continue to whine until RIM fires the boss and starts making modern product.
    Last edited by falconeight; 06-14-11 at 01:02 PM.
    06-14-11 12:58 PM

There would be a lot less of that if people actually asked questions before taking their frustration out on a product they clearly didn't research and the company that made it.

Post all you want, I don't care and I'm not about to say you can't. I gave my opinion and I don't feel bad for those the OP is talking about. Rants here do nothing, RIM isn't reading. I couldn't agree more about the lack of respect people show here, but a lot of it is given by the thread starters themselves.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Blacklac; 06-14-11 at 01:13 PM.
    06-14-11 01:00 PM
    I agree with you on most points. But, I think some of the frustration around here is new threads are posted with the same complaints over and over again. People do have start using the search button more.
    The forum needs more mods to slash and burn the duplicate threads.
    06-14-11 01:01 PM

Comment? Yes

You beat me to this response. Started typing, then, because I am at work, got called away and here was this response.
    06-14-11 01:03 PM

Please understand that I am not trying to be the arbitrator of what is posted. I am expressing my frustration with what I see as a growing(??) presence of childish threads that lacerate RIM for "inadequacies" that RIM clearly declared were not on the device but were coming in the future.

Crackberry Forums are exactly what they are. Anyone can post and the moderators will step in if "rules" are violated. It is a free communicating environment. I expressed my frustration at what I perceive as childish behavior. My intent was to express myself and hope that maybe some verucasaltitis sufferers would seek to alter their posting. Do I expect that to occur, no. But just like "they" have the right to post away, so do I.

Its my opinion and it is worth exactly what you paid for it.
    06-14-11 01:13 PM
    Dont see why people dont have the right to complain. After all Playbook users are the ones using the damn device, and if there are issues then they need to voice them so that at the very least RIM can acknowledge them.

Lets be honest with ourselves here, companies have to understand and address these complaints. Apple was blasted for all the bad **** they didnt do (no multi-tasking, no C&P, horrid notifications, no push). HTC & Motorola were torn apart for locking their bootloaders on Android devices, Google with Androids "fragmentation", and even RIM who had unquestionably the worst web browser and the worst mobile OS, and launched the Playbook without native PIM and they were eaten alive for it that it made them backpedal and get those things out.

While i do agree there is a "i want it now" mentality, that is simply the way tech industry is, people want satisfaction and when they pay top dollar for it its to be expected.
    The Gift and kevinnugent like this.
    06-14-11 01:19 PM
    OPs post should be a sticky.
    06-14-11 01:28 PM
    Ive had my PB for only a matter of days and been blown away. Had a few little bugs and being short of a few little features its a 10/10 in this current market.

I work with people who have apple and android hardware and we all have some gripes. All are missing certain things and fall short in places but for me this thing gets better each day. Browsing is fantastic and as previously mentioned the hardware itself is right from the top shelf.

I hope they work hard and listen to the community as Rim are very much in the tablet fight at the moment.

Positive spin on the thread from me!
    newcollector likes this.
    06-14-11 01:31 PM
    The truth is, as an 'adult', we should have been OK with all the whiners or trolls.
    Why? Freedom of speech.
    When PB owners felt mocked or irritated by posts that is demanding updates, apps, etc, then my friend, you haven't reach adolescence yet.
    We made a choice (Buy a PB, and still not selling it), and we must take the consequences.. which is reading all those posts.. (not commenting which will turns out into a lengthy useless debate)
    Simply put, 'mind your own business'.

RESPECT
    06-14-11 01:37 PM
    The truth is, as an 'adult', we should have been OK with all the whiners or trolls.
    Why? Freedom of speech.
    When PB owners felt mocked or irritated by posts that is demanding updates, apps, etc, then my friend, you haven't reach adolescence yet.
    We made a choice (Buy a PB, and still not selling it), and we must take the consequences.. which is reading all those posts.. (not commenting which will turns out into a lengthy useless debate)
    Simply put, 'mind your own business'.

RESPECT
    What is kind of funny about all this is, by your observations, by my original post I reveal my childishness which means that by your commenting on my original post you have become childish like me and all verucasalt-iters and all of us should mind our own business which would then mean no one would post and Crackberry forums would oh nevermind... I think my head hurts.

PS...to be accurate I used the term "frustration", not mocked or irritated.
    Last edited by newcollector; 06-14-11 at 01:48 PM.
    06-14-11 01:41 PM
    I agree with the OP. Period.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-11 01:43 PM
    I disagree.

The chorus of people urging everyone who has a complaint to be quiet and "love it or leave it" is misunderstanding what is going on.

Sure, some people are trolls who post here for their own improper ends. I have no problem silencing people like that.

Most people are not trolls. Most people are customers who are disappointed about one thing or another. Most of these people want their issues fixed and the platform to succeed.

Unless you have been hiding under a rock lately you can't help but notice that RIM is going through some major troubles right now. When a RIM employee writes that everyone at RIM knows that its (delayed) OS7 phones are not competitive with other competing products, it kind of feels like the ship is sinking. Most people are simply frustrated that it feels like Playbook is failing and RIM is doing nothing to stop it from happening. Most people want the ship to be repaired. Those people should be free to speak their mind.
    06-14-11 01:50 PM
    People have the right to complain about a product that they bought. At the same time it does get a bit annoying when you see the same issues being brought up again and again. The best thing is to either be polite and refer the person to a previous thread where it has been discussed or don't say anything at all and let the thread die.
    howarmat likes this.
    06-14-11 01:51 PM
    I love it for what it does right out of the box, using it side by side with my 9650 especially....and I am very excited about the potential
    06-14-11 01:55 PM
    I disagree.

The chorus of people urging everyone who has a complaint to be quiet and "love it or leave it" is misunderstanding what is going on.

Sure, some people are trolls who post here for their own improper ends. I have no problem silencing people like that.

Most people are not trolls. Most people are customers who are disappointed about one thing or another. Most of these people want their issues fixed and the platform to succeed.

Unless you have been hiding under a rock lately you can't help but notice that RIM is going through some major troubles right now. When a RIM employee writes that everyone at RIM knows that its (delayed) OS7 phones are not competitive with other competing products, it kind of feels like the ship is sinking. Most people are simply frustrated that it feels like Playbook is failing and RIM is doing nothing to stop it from happening. Most people want the ship to be repaired. Those people should be free to speak their mind.
    Please understand that I clearly did not say or try to intimate "love it or leave it". Raise a complaint, yes. But there is a point when a complaint turns into a whine. All I was trying to say is that you can actually get more done with a complaint than with a whine. Kind of like you can catch more flies with sugar than salt.
    06-14-11 02:03 PM
88 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD