I try not to think this way about rim but it is a company and most importantly a company in need of some cash.

With the new 1.5 dual core playbooks dropping do you think us early adopters with watered down versions will get the same bb10 experience without as much horsepower?

Apple is notorious for releasing os's for machines that cannot handle them making people want a newer one.

I hope rim allows bb10 to flow seamlessly on our devices but that little thought keeps poping up in my mind.

Let me know what you guys think?
    10-09-12 11:04 PM
    bb10 will be fine on the first gen of playbooks.
    10-09-12 11:07 PM
    I would assume that most people hope for the Playbook to get the full BB10 experience. It was sold with PB OS though, and with no guarantee of future upgrades.

RIM has stated that PB will get BB10, so that's all we have to go on for now.

Quite frankly, I'd love it if RIM were to "pull an Apple" and provide OS updates (even if feature reduced) for phones over 3 years old.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-09-12 11:07 PM
    I would assume that most people hope for the Playbook to get the full BB10 experience. It was sold with PB OS though, and with no guarantee of future upgrades.

Quite frankly, I'd love it if RIM were to "pull an Apple" and provide OS updates (even if feature reduced) for phones over 3 years old.
    yes there is a guarentee of an upgrade. they told us it will get bb10
    10-09-12 11:09 PM
    Obviously, with less horsepower PlayBook will not have the same performance as the newer tablet, it will, however, still be BB X so it will still be a great experience.
    I fully intend to get the new 10" tablet while retaining this PlayBook. I believe they intend to come out with an entirely new tablet which will be a completely fresh release and may not even be called PlayBook. Not surprisingly, since the PlayBook is saddled with the perception created by the furor over its' initial release without native email (as though that was so tremendously important ) and has not made a huge dent in The Big Noise - aka the USA.
    However, I love my PlayBook and will continue to love it with BB 10. : )
    alan510 and peter9477 like this.
    10-09-12 11:30 PM
    On the 3 years backwards support... It may become a reality, but don't expect any OS7 and below devices to enjoy the change.

But yeah, that is probably my biggest hope when it comes to the new QNX powered OS.
    10-10-12 12:33 AM
    RIM devices are normally able to handle the OS unlike apple devices that have a 8-12 month cycle. Apple is on a different playing ground than RIM they can afford a device or platform failure RIM cannot. RIM was made from email and security apple wasmade from entertainment and games.
    RIM will not pull an apple with BB10.
    10-10-12 05:26 AM
    It should be self-evident that the older, slower devices will not run the latest OS (or any OS) with quite as much responsiveness or performance as the newer, faster devices.

I do think, however, that BB10 will still run quite effectively on the PlayBook, and will feel like a big improvement. I've got one of the original Dev Alphas, and those who got the Dev Alpha B in San Jose a couple of weeks ago have been reporting that it feels snappier, faster at loading and running stuff. Well, it's got a faster, newer chip, and it's running an OS optimized more for it than for the original device. On the other hand, I'm running the same OS on my original, for developing my apps, and it's quite usable, and as long as I don't have a faster device sitting right beside it, I'm not thinking that it's "slow" as I use it. We'll be equally happy with our upgraded-for-free-yet-again original PlayBooks, once BB10 arrives, I believe.
    MoolahMitch likes this.
    10-10-12 08:12 AM
    It is hard to say which is more ethical from a marketing standpoint. Yeah, Apple provides the iOS upgrades to past devices. Everyone knows it can't be fully functional without the correct hardware. Yet Apple customers are perfectly fine with it and really don't complain much, I don't think. Microsoft was up front about the Windows Phone 8 upgrade and that it wouldn't be given to WP7.x devices. They are giving a "7.8" upgrade with the custom tiles and probably everything else that the hardware will support. Yet there was tremendous backlash that they weren't giving the "full" WP8. People are really funny...
    MoolahMitch likes this.
    10-10-12 09:40 AM
    Your premise is silly. When a new OS comes out, you either make it available on older devices or you don't (in many cases Android devices don;t, or you have to root the device and upgrade it yourself). You either charge for the upgrade or you don't. Both Apple and RIM are doing very well on both of these counts. Of course as hardware improves, newer OSs will take advantage of the new hardware and will not run with all features on older hardware and eventually will not perform well enough to be useful at all on older hardware. This is the way computers work and has nothing to do with RIM, Apple, Microsoft, Google - it is true for every OS.
    10-10-12 12:58 PM
    RIM devices are normally able to handle the OS unlike apple devices that have a 8-12 month cycle. Apple is on a different playing ground than RIM they can afford a device or platform failure RIM cannot. RIM was made from email and security apple wasmade from entertainment and games.
    RIM will not pull an apple with BB10.
    Which one of Apple's devices are on an 8 month cycle?
    10-10-12 01:48 PM
    Are people speculating rim will release a new playbook when they release BBOS 10? Because I think it's silly to think the older gen PB will be slow to handle OS10 when the newer PB with the 1.5 ghz is faster than the 1st gen PB which is ONLY 1.0 ghz THATS ONLY. 5 Ghz difference people! If the newer PB came out with 2 ghz or more then I can see the speed difference....I honestly don't know what everyone is worried about
    10-10-12 02:48 PM
    well they will have to come up with something extremely special. Not fancy camera apps and the 'exclusivity' of the blackberry messenger.
    10-10-12 03:00 PM
    Are people speculating rim will release a new playbook when they release BBOS 10? Because I think it's silly to think the older gen PB will be slow to handle OS10 when the newer PB with the 1.5 ghz is faster than the 1st gen PB which is ONLY 1.0 ghz THATS ONLY. 5 Ghz difference people! If the newer PB came out with 2 ghz or more then I can see the speed difference....I honestly don't know what everyone is worried about
    The clock speed of the processor is only a fraction of what needs to be considered for performance. The new A6 processor is 1.0-1.3 ghz, yet it runs circles around some 1.5ghz+ processors.
    bdegrande and MoolahMitch like this.
    10-10-12 03:03 PM
    I try not to think this way about rim but it is a company and most importantly a company in need of some cash.

With the new 1.5 dual core playbooks dropping do you think us early adopters with watered down versions will get the same bb10 experience without as much horsepower?

Apple is notorious for releasing os's for machines that cannot handle them making people want a newer one.

I hope rim allows bb10 to flow seamlessly on our devices but that little thought keeps poping up in my mind.

Let me know what you guys think?
    Oh the irony...complaining about Apple's update 'notoriety' while your 9900 which is less than a year old will never get an update (no matter how gimped) to BB10.

As for the OP, the LTE Playbook isn't THAT much more powerful than the PB
    10-10-12 04:21 PM
    I think with the PB updating to BB10 RIM could continue to sell and produce the model, but only if BB10 manages to improve the user experience in both speed and new features. The PB is pretty darn fast for a 1 ghz processor. Why? Because of a powerful OS. Just imagine what BB10 could do...
    MoolahMitch likes this.
    10-10-12 09:13 PM
    I think with the PB updating to BB10 RIM could continue to sell and produce the model, but only if BB10 manages to improve the user experience in both speed and new features. The PB is pretty darn fast for a 1 ghz processor. Why? Because of a powerful OS. Just imagine what BB10 could do...
    The GPU in the PB is dismal though, it can't keep up with modern tabs or phones. I have no doubt that if BB10 phones are successful, RIM will release a new tablet. It won't be the current Playbook though, and they won't be producing any tablet in mass quantity for a while.
    10-10-12 10:56 PM
    Because we're talking of "dual cores" technology here, actually it's one entire Ghz faster than the previous playbook.
    1.5 x 2 - 1 x 2. = 1ghz
    10-10-12 11:37 PM
    Because we're talking of "dual cores" technology here, actually it's one entire Ghz faster than the previous playbook.
    1.5 x 2 - 1 x 2. = 1ghz
    CPU speed isn't multiplicative like that when you're dealing with multiple cores.
    masqueofhastur likes this.
    10-10-12 11:43 PM
    Maybe RIM will suffer publicly and share wise the same way Apple did during the mid-80s and make a comeback the same way Apple did. I'd love to buy their stock at its current price and see it rise the way Apple's did. Hopefully BB10 is a big success.
    10-10-12 11:46 PM
    Maybe RIM will suffer publicly and share wise the same way Apple did during the mid-80s and make a comeback the same way Apple did. I'd love to buy their stock at its current price and see it rise the way Apple's did. Hopefully BB10 is a big success.
    Don't we all?
    10-11-12 10:08 PM
    I think we don't need beast specs to run BB10, it's unix based. except we use BB10 like racing horse, device for backing up all lines. daily hardcore usage. If BB10 is only used for reading emails, BBM, play cut the rope or angry bird or something like that, entry level spec BB10 is still capable to do that.
    10-11-12 10:47 PM
    I would expect not. RIM isn't in a position to squander consumer goodwill.
    10-11-12 11:00 PM
    Kinda weak, I am not going to upgrade my PB til they have a quad core at least.... or higher.
    10-12-12 02:59 AM
    yes there is a guarantee of an upgrade. they told us it will get bb10
    This isn't a particularly point about RIM and applies to all multi-national corporations, the only 'guarantee' you should ever believe in is one written into a contract or enforceable by consumer law. Mobile is particularly bad for it with companies promising upgrades that they never appear.
    10-12-12 03:18 AM
26 12