View Poll Results: Do you Think OS3 IS COMING TO THE PlayBook?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

48 44.44%
  • No

60 55.56%
    I'm still not buying it. It would be a PR disaster if BB 10 (or whatever it's called) isn't released for the PB.

1.2 GHz vs 1 GHz? What would be the big difference? Of course the next devices are going to be at least somewhat more powerful BUT I don't see such a massive and fundamental change in the software and/or hardware architecture from this point forward - nothing like the difference between BB7 and PlayBook...
    It wouldn't be a PR disaster. 2nd and 3rd Gen devices would get the update. No one is going to cry about a 2yr old tablet not getting it. And it's not as simple as 1Ghz vs. 1.2Ghz. The our 1st Gen Playbook has a 1Ghz TI OMAP 4430/PVR SGX540. The BB10 phones will be running on significantly newer SOCs with faster CPU/GPUs. I suspect they well be a lot more powerful. And why would you want to keep your 2yr old Playbook when a 3rd gen device that is significantly more powerful is available for a few hundred bucks?
    03-28-12 02:05 PM
    No, it will be getting BB10, RIM has confirmed it.
    03-28-12 02:25 PM
    And why would you want to keep your 2yr old Playbook when a 3rd gen device that is significantly more powerful is available for a few hundred bucks?
    Oh sure! I'm just going to toss a $500 piece of hardware out the window just because it's two years old. Yeah, I have lots disposable income to do that!

It's a freaking tablet COMPUTER, not just a phone. I'm not gonna throw a desktop (or laptop) PC out the window simply because it's a couple of years old. I understand the reasons why OS 6 & 7 devices had their upgrade cycles cut short (because of major upgrades to hardware) but I expect better support for my PB. QNX is supposed to be significantly scalable: it's not just another throwaway software design. QNX runs computers inside nuclear power facilities and has done so for decades on end, for crying out loud! If other manufacturers (namely Apple) can span 2-3 generations of OS software over the lifetime of any single generation of hardware, what would prevent RIM from being able to do the same thing?

Maybe a single generation of OS for a single generation of Android devices might be par for the course for those other manufacturers but I'm expecting better from RIM. They have said over and over again that BB 10 is coming to the PB and I'm expecting them to keep that promise...

I'm still not buying what you're trying to sell me...
    myfairkadie likes this.
    03-28-12 03:59 PM
    I don't think the Playbook os will ever be called 10. I think 10 will be reserved for the phone and we will eventually see os3.0 for the Playbook.
    03-28-12 05:01 PM
    There will be an update tomorrow..........a bridge new bridge update just released, so that only means one thing
    We all live in hope.....
    EricB1968 likes this.
    03-28-12 05:06 PM
    BTW... on the RIM web site for App World, the 2.0.0.26 Bridge update says nothing about only for 7.1 phones. In fact is points out that it is compatible with 5.0 and above.

"Required Device Software....Smartphone: 5.0.0 or higher"
    03-28-12 05:10 PM
    My OS goes up to eleven.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-28-12 05:34 PM
    Oh sure! I'm just going to toss a $500 piece of hardware out the window just because it's two years old. Yeah, I have lots disposable income to do that!

It's a freaking tablet COMPUTER, not just a phone. I'm not gonna throw a desktop (or laptop) PC out the window simply because it's a couple of years old. I understand the reasons why OS 6 & 7 devices had their upgrade cycles cut short (because of major upgrades to hardware) but I expect better support for my PB. QNX is supposed to be significantly scalable: it's not just another throwaway software design. QNX runs computers inside nuclear power facilities and has done so for decades on end, for crying out loud! If other manufacturers (namely Apple) can span 2-3 generations of OS software over the lifetime of any single generation of hardware, what would prevent RIM from being able to do the same thing?

Maybe a single generation of OS for a single generation of Android devices might be par for the course for those other manufacturers but I'm expecting better from RIM. They have said over and over again that BB 10 is coming to the PB and I'm expecting them to keep that promise...

I'm still not buying what you're trying to sell me...
    Not trying to sale you anything. Just voicing my opinion. If you don't agree that's fine.
    03-28-12 05:37 PM

RIM have said PB will get BB10 after phones. Phones are due late 2012, which in finest RIM tradition probably means 31st Dec 2012 or even Spring 2013. PB BB10 is due after that... so this time next year sounds good.
    No no no! BB10 is due out latter half 2012. I don't know what keeps happening to the second t, but it feeds into blogs like BGR and engadget to keep on saying late. We don't know when in the second half of 2012 it'll be, there are rumours of September, which is Q3 and certainly not late 2012.
    03-28-12 06:21 PM
    Will RIM continue to update the PB? I think they will.

Will we see a PB update called Tablet OS3? I don't think so.
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    03-28-12 06:33 PM
    BB10 for tablets won't be available until 2013. I'd expect we'll see it pushed to 2nd Gen and newly released 3rd Gen Playbooks. It is my opinion that we will NOT see BB10 on our 1st Gen Playbooks. We will, hopefully, see one more major update for our Playbooks and that will be that. Will it be called OS3? I'll vote yes.
    RIM already said the PlayBook will get BB10. Time to change your opinion.

RIM has already come out and said that OS 10 will be coming to ALL Playbooks, so I dont get why so many people keep saying it wont...
    Some people like letting rumors out and stilling panic.
    Last edited by diegonei; 03-28-12 at 06:37 PM.
    03-28-12 06:33 PM
    RIM already said the PlayBook will get BB10. Time to change your opinion.

Some people like letting rumors out and stilling panic.
    When RIM said that the Playbook would be getting BB10 do you think they were talking about the Playbook brand in general or were they talking about this Playbook in particular? I mean If the 2nd and 3rd Gen Playbooks got BB10 but the 1st Gen Playbook didn't then technically the Playbook still got BB10. Right?

Just wondering.
    03-28-12 07:01 PM
    I can't understand why people could possibly think that the current PB *WON'T* get the next gen OS. I really, really don't get it! The hardware is still more than good enough.
    Because they need to sell the hardware to earn money. The current Playbook already got the "next generation" OS by upgrading from OS 1 to OS 2. Maybe some revision to the OS 2 would be possible but not something major.

Assuming the upgrade path is the same for Blackberry phones, you only get 1 major upgrade for your phone. Unless of course, you have a "crippled" OS 3 (BB10) for the current generation Playbook.

So rumours about the Playbook getting BB10, its sure possible but may not be on the current playbook. It could be called Playbook 2

But I do hope they do have OS 3 (BB10) for current Playbook

- Charles
    Last edited by chaddeus; 03-28-12 at 07:32 PM.
    03-28-12 07:27 PM
    Hahahah!!! What's the point? The only thing that really needs improvement is the number of and type of apps available.

My Playbook FUNCTIONS great. It's a nice piece of hardware and OS2.0 is decent.
    I just can't DO anything with it.
    03-28-12 07:47 PM
    We all live in hope.....

Lol i got myself a bit hyped,now im gonna be refreshing the out of the check for update button tomorrow
    03-28-12 08:05 PM
    When RIM said PlayBook would get BB10, realize that there is only one PlayBook now, so I really doubt they were talking about "the platform" or form factor, excluding the only PlayBook that is more than vapor. I don't think RIM would blatantly lie or mislead now, with the history of over-promising and under-delivering dogging them. Since they said it'd be after the phones, my guess is they will need to tweak or retool it a bit for the larger form factor. It's possible that there could be changes to its version of BB10 due to spec requirements, but I think by and large it will be BB10 as it'll be on the phones.
    03-28-12 09:15 PM
    When RIM said PlayBook would get BB10, realize that there is only one PlayBook now, so I really doubt they were talking about "the platform" or form factor, excluding the only PlayBook that is more than vapor. I don't think RIM would blatantly lie or mislead now, with the history of over-promising and under-delivering dogging them. Since they said it'd be after the phones, my guess is they will need to tweak or retool it a bit for the larger form factor. It's possible that there could be changes to its version of BB10 due to spec requirements, but I think by and large it will be BB10 as it'll be on the phones.
    That's not lying or misleading. They could have very well been talking about the platform knowing full well that they had other Playbook models coming.

Just saying.
    03-28-12 09:29 PM
    RIM has already come out and said that OS 10 will be coming to ALL Playbooks, so I dont get why so many people keep saying it wont...

We have a few here who like to do nothing more than stir the pot.
    Bobcat665 and myfairkadie like this.
    03-28-12 09:38 PM
    Speculation. Speculation and Speculation.

Some people thrive on speculation...
    03-28-12 11:33 PM
    No no no! BB10 is due out latter half 2012. I don't know what keeps happening to the second t, but it feeds into blogs like BGR and engadget to keep on saying late. We don't know when in the second half of 2012 it'll be, there are rumours of September, which is Q3 and certainly not late 2012.
    "We've said publicly a number of times that our first BB10 handset will be available towards the end of 2012, and that's still firmly the case," Rob Orr, RIM's VP of product management told us.

"At some point after the launch we'll bring BB10 to our PlayBooks, yes."

I've bolded RIM's words.

I've only ever seen the "September", and "latter half" rumours quoted on these forums. I've yet to see a quoted source.

If RIM really were planning "latter half" or "September", they'd have used "late Summer" or "The Fall" in their quote. But... both Summer and Fall have been used in previous RIM promises,... and we know what happened there.

I guess the positive to take away from RIM's quote is that BB10 will come to PB.
    03-29-12 01:46 AM
    I don't get why everyone thinks that the new OS is coming on the new generation of the PlayBook ONLY! Its Just an OS System, its not like changing a very big thing. Its the second generation of the PlayBook, its not like the 10TH generation which of course would be much better than the first generation of the PlayBook, which surely means that the OS of the 10th generation cannot be updated on the first generation. But now its only the second generation is coming so surely there wont be much difference between the hardware, so the OS system can be updated on both
    03-29-12 02:10 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD